Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven appartheid  (Read 2484 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Dwarven appartheid
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 10:18:30 am »

When you post in a thread, all replies in that thread get shown in the new replies menu. So when someone PTW, it's to monitor the lizard out of the thread.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 12:28:11 pm »

That said, we should poison the monitor lizard.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 01:09:04 pm »

Cast the seven founders in obsidian (a bit like han solo) so they may forever watch over your fortress.

When I read the title I was expecting something along the lines of "no beard, no entry" immigration policy, thus keeping the population burly and hairy. (and leaving the slug producers (mothers and their babies) outside) Keeping the original seven separate sounds like an interesting topic too.

Edit: just dont be careful. If you only keep the seven and their direct descendants your fort will be quite a risky place after 2 generations when everyone is either a cousin, uncle or parent to each other. Just wait what would happen when one of the originals finally would die..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:11:53 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 01:32:31 pm »

They care, I have done this and they get bad thoughts from the people starving outside, and you have to produce TONS of slabs to keep your fort from swimming in ghosts.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 02:55:21 pm »

Edit: oops, super ninjaed.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 03:04:54 pm »

They care, I have done this and they get bad thoughts from the people starving outside, and you have to produce TONS of slabs to keep your fort from swimming in ghosts.
You have to do this anyhow in a reanimating biome. You have to atom smash or melt the corpses, or they just keep getting back up. They will also happily remove themselves from any coffin, no matter how many dwarves are posted to sit on top of it.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 09:50:35 am »

You should be ok for the first couple gens.

Founding Seven
  • Take an extra pick & training axe. forbid and leave them for the migrants to use.
  • Dig down a couple z-levels. build a farm.
  • Dig down to magma while carving resupply minecart tracks. finish housing at the farm
  • Set up magma forges and get to work
  • Once kitted out, you can spend a few years training or immediately seize and wall off part of cavern 3 for a easymodo farm and trees.
  • Plan out watersource breach, plumbing, main reservoirs, wells, redundant reservoirs & wells, water reactor bank, irrigation tanks, Power conduit, redundant backup conduit in-case of disassembly, sealed storeroom holding mechanisms and blocks to make quick repairs.
  • Dig out previous except for the breach. add in shutoff bridges in case something somehow gets in.
  • If you haven't already, weapon trap the shit out of the deepfort with multiple panic rooms. Safety of the 7 comes above all. Stock picks & a bag of wheat seeds in all of them.
  • breach the cavern. all 7 need to quickly build the intake platform and get floor grates over the intake asap.
  • fill wells, reservoirs, irrigate via flood/bucket. Get a tree farm up.
    • Find and smelt reagents for black bronze
    • Black bronze errything all day errydday
    • Once all furniture is black bronze start plating the floors
    • ???
    • Profit

Migrants Build a surface fort surviving on masterwork whip vine flour roasts and shooting gobbos with wood bolts and metal bolts ordered from the humans and dwarves with 20,000 dwarfbuck roasts. Your Deep Dwarves will most certainly be Jelly.

Deep dwarves get to slab makin in case the surface gets rolled for whatever godawful reason. Build a grand mausoleum plated in black bronze.

It'll be like any other fort except you have a bunch of mad-dwarves on the magma sea.

!!Doubleplus Omake!! Build a buildingdestroyer baited false entrance to trap and train trainable cav:3 beasts. Perhaps have them fight untrainables for your amusement?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A starving dwarf had better be a dead dwarf.... you have to TRY to starve in df thanks to above-grounds all year planting season. Hell, if you bought seeds every season you could probably keep an entire fort fed with nothing but cave wheat or sweet pods.

As for OP's other questions, they need to form a relationship to get pregnant/married so you should be set.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 04:26:38 pm »

There is technically no bad thoughts to seeing a Dwarf starve. Seeing a Dwarf die, yes. Seeing their bodies rot, yes. But the in between, no.
Pages: 1 [2]