Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silk Farm not working  (Read 904 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Silk Farm not working
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:06:33 am »

I had a migrant turn up with a tame pet giant cave spider.

So I built a complex for silk like described in the wiki under the GCS entry, and then chained a captured goblin in there as the directions specified.

No silk.

And no apparent aggressiveness towards the goblin by the GCS.

Only thing I had to do differently was initially placing the spider using a pasture zone since it looks like you can't pit pets.  (Running 34.11 with a few minor RAW mods.)

There was a note in an older thread where someone had a similar issue and "fixed" it by removing one of the fortifications, but did not mention which one.  Or why that suddenly made it work.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Silk Farm not working
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 10:27:21 am »

Can you post a screenshot of your setup, or is it exactly as in the article? The thing with the doors isn't necessary in .34, as the coding was changed so that webbers will shoot even without any possible path to their prey (but they do still need to be next to a fortification (but perhaps not if they have the appropriate level of Archery skill?)).

I think pets can be pitted by setting up a pasture zone that's placed and shaped to be useable as a pit, assigning a pet to it, and then changing it to a pit as the animal is being led there. But since in this case you're only trying to get the animal onto a specific tile instead of giving it the 300 treatment, it doesn't really matter.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:18:28 pm »

Exactly like the article.

And, interestingly enough, when I opened up the inner area again and made a door pet passable the GCS just walked off to the main meeting area.  No interest in going after the goblin, even with a clear path to it.

It is possible that a restrained (chained) goblin is not viewed as a threat/treat worth webbing?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 03:48:36 pm »

Perhaps? Try sealing the tiles to the north and south of the goblin, so you can pit the goblin instead.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:17:56 pm »

That appears to be it!

Walled both sides of the chained goblin - and he did not scare the worker who came in to do that.  Then I pitted another goblin on top of the one there.  GCS immediately started tossing webs!

Doors north and south of the spider are forbidden as well.  It has no "normal" path to the goblin, just the fortification.

So it looks like that with a tame GCS the silk farm design from the wiki can be simplified.  Wall the goblin in and then pit it.   Just need the bridge to cover up for the workers to collect webs.  And nothing too special is needed to keep the spider in - can just use doors or maybe even pasture it only.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:20:19 pm »

Would it work to use the GCS to help defend your fortress at the same time? Have it be able to see/web the main (invader) hallway, locking up the invaders and, once the ambush/siege is over, providing more silk to collect?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 09:26:13 pm »

Yes but it its safer to make a normal silk farm with a channeled out floor in the back. Some missed end drop down onto cage traps in a corridor below that you forbid till FBz titans and other things are caught.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 10:41:14 pm »

That appears to be it!
So I wonder if it is the reason for my chained unicorn not to pregnant.
Are there any science about chains in DF2012?