Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Where all the necros gone?  (Read 2964 times)

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where all the necros gone?
« on: July 15, 2012, 02:29:43 am »

Its odd, ever since i got the 34.11 build i cant find any necromancer towers anywhere (human and even dwarven aye but no necros), ive made at least a dozen worlds of varying sizes and nothing, i did however manage to make a world of mostly haunted terrain with undead everywhere that doesn't want to stay down when i smack it with a hammer into a pile of mush, i had one kestral skeleton in the middle of my camp that kept resurrecting for a moment either to get killed easily or to just die by itself, was odd XD   

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Where all the necros gone?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:07:14 am »

How long do you gen your worlds?

necromancerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:34:02 am »

I'm still here

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 06:58:45 am »

Human and dwarven towers hold human and dwarven necromancers respectively (I think)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 07:50:08 am »

Towers still appear in the World Gen for me. I tried 5 different times:

Small World, Short History, Scare Minerals, Everything Else Very High
Genned 1 Human Tower

Smaller World, Short History, Scarce Minerals, Everything Else Very High
Genned 1 Human Tower

Medium World, Short History, Scarce Minerals, Everything Else Very High
Aborted - Couldn't Place the Civs

Large World, Short History, Scarce Minerals, Everything Else Very High
Genned at least 12 Different Towers

Remember that Towers spawning are luck based, and you need at least Short History to get a good chance of at least 1 spawning. Large Worlds, More Civilizations, and Number of Sites will up the amount that can spawn. Keep Neutral Territories high as well, I don't think they spawn in Good/Evil Biomes. I have also never seen them spawn in Scorching, Freezing, or Mountain Biomes either.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 08:29:49 am »

The most likely culprit here is just too little time for historical figures to despair for their lives and seek the secrets of life and death. Gen your worlds a bit longer, and at least a few more should succeed and build their own towers.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 09:26:54 am »

Your answer:

bump 8)
My wooden badge was delicious.

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 11:19:41 am »

i figured it could be i wasn't letting it generate long enough, i did let one go for quite awile and there was nothin other then the human/dwarf towers, i remember them being named as necro towers but that may have changed :P, i like my worlds young though so ill probably have to settle for my new haunted everything dead comes back areas

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 02:07:03 pm »

human/dwarf towers
Are actually necro towers.
Look up the sites in legends.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 04:30:16 pm »

I'm still here
Damn it, i cant wait until the moment when they add dark wolves to the game so i can say "im here".
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 08:32:23 pm »

Human/Dwarven towers hold BOTH human and dwarven necromancers. It simply depends on who is the first historical figure to find the local tablet holding the mysteries of life and death. The diety can be dwarven or human, this determines which race find the tablet, I believe.

This first necromancer becomes the "boss necromancer", who then teaches other historical figures the secrets and who, in turn, teach the secrets to others, creating a pyramid-shaped chain of teaching and aprenticeship with the boss necromancer at the top.
This holds true for every tower, however there is only one tower per tablet.

The reason you may not find many towers is because all aspiring necromancers may be migrating towards the only tower with the only tablet. More civilizations means more dieties, which ups the chance of a diety who governs death and so, a tablet. Furthermore, more civs means more clusters of civilization from which more towers can spring up if far apart enough.
And then there are the zombie requirements, which are needed to build the tower.

The conditions needed for a new tower to be built, and aspiring necromancers to migrate there are complicated, but Ive found out this much from repeated world gens and looking at legends.

Oh and necromancy is not limited to humans and dwarves. Ive found amphibian men necromancers, with masterwork steel masks, masterwork robes, gloves, hoods, loincloth shoes and socks. Which is odd considering they are usually naked. The tower was filled to the brim with zombie elves, also wearing masks and robes, and similarly dressed dwarven and human necromancers.
Pretty cool if you ask me.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 09:55:26 pm »

..Boss Necromancer determined by deity and who finds the tablet first...

I can confirm that the Subterranean Races can become Necromancers - just like Vampires and Were beast. Additionally, I can confirm that other races besides Human and Dwarves can become the 'Boss Necromancer'. I once had a 'Boss Lizardman Necromancer' for example.

Good point about the Zombie requirements as well. If those requirements are met, then you might just end up with Necromancers who can only just take over a simple Bandit Camp, due to not having the bodies necessary to construct their Tower.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 10:37:24 pm »

History seems to be pretty random, I have had quite a few old worlds without necros.
I found this out by accident when I was trying to get more MBs in a pocket world I liked: You can change the history of a world by regenning and adjusting the number of megabeasts. A 30 year old world with 20 MBs, 4 SemiMBs and 4 Titans might give you a necromancer, the same world with 20/4/5 might not. That way you can keep a world and just change history until you get enough necros, vampires or whatever else you want. Changing the history seed might help also, but seems to produce more random results.
For a tower 50 years are definitely better, gives the necro enough time for the 50 zombie requirement. History seems to be pretty random, I have had quite a few old worlds without necros.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 11:44:52 pm »

Where in Legends mode would you look to see how many towers there are?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 11:46:42 pm »

They are listed under "Sites".
Pages: [1] 2