Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hey, who invited you guys? Go back to your own fort.  (Read 1014 times)

der_elvenfrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hey, who invited you guys? Go back to your own fort.
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:51:53 am »

My previous fortress angered Armok, so I ensured that most of the population was burned alive and then I just abandoned the rest. I forgot all about the "historical migrants from previous fortresses" feature and so neglected to finish off the last ~25%.

So now, a year into my next fortress with the same civilization, my first two migrant waves have been an influx of the same miserable tantruming shits that ruined my last fortress. Needless to say, this time I've taken my responsibility to finish the job far more seriously. "Be happy or die."

I am growing concerned, however, that I might not get any new dwarves until I've rectified my errors (20-25 of them, I should think), and that by that time my fort might have gained a... reputation.

Can anyone with experience/science in the subject weigh in on how many repeat dwarves I can expect, or what the body count will have to reach before this place gets branded a deathtrap?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, who invited you guys? Go back to your own fort.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 11:45:41 pm »

I don't get historical migrants after the second year, but I mostly play in young worlds, so all historical figures that can migrate to my fort will eventually end up there. If there are not many historical dwarfs in your world the 25 should probably all come to your fort.
You have to kill a lot of dwarfs for a reputation, I once accidentally killed around 100 out of 120 dwarfs and started getting migrants "despite the danger". So 25 should not be a problem and it has to be a lot more before migrants will stop coming at all.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 02:33:32 am »

You know it is often possible to rehabilitate very unhappy immigrants. Try locking them in individual bedrooms with food, booze and high value furniture (a bed, and a gold table and throne works well). Dwarves in solitary confinement tend to get happier over time since nothing upsets them, while they continue to gain happy thoughts. Don't release them from their cells until they are ecstatic (it shouldn't take long, maybe a season), because they will readily revert when exposed to the harsh reality outside their bubble.

So at least give the poor bastards a fighting chance to be happy. If they survive, they might even be useful since they should have built up some emotional hardening.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 02:53:00 am »

Two Dwarves who become friends with each other whilst locked in a room together will do nothing but talk. This makes them ecstatic, very quickly.