Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clown Grinder?  (Read 1069 times)

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clown Grinder?
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:20:27 am »

Okay, so my girlfriend thinks I've gone over the edge with my latest fortress, but I know I haven't reached superdwarvian villanry yet. I've found a piece of candy on about z level 165. Now I fought my way down there, (with only one casualty, who actually fought off 40-50 zombie coyote men on his own before falling to his wounds) and begin plotting on how to best deal with the situation. After training my dwarves (who admittedly, are so bad ass, they bring their children into the danger rooms without armor, and they haven't been killed yet) and I started thinking "why waste the dwarves on this?". So I've decided I'm going to wall off the entire area except for a one tile area around and one way in. Then, I'm going to build upright spike traps loaded with iron spears (I ran out of steel trying to appease the queen ((who does nothing)) and equipping my first marksdwarf squad (((who probably does less))) ). I'll hook them and the candy to two seperate switches. Then, I'll wall off the last opening and throw the switch to open the gate. As the clowns enter the area, they should be blind to where my dwarves are and I'll simply throw the switch for my spears and grind them until it's safe.

Does this sound like a safe plan? The only thing even remotely near to the door is my magma forging settlement (of like ten guys), though I doubt that will make much difference if the clowns start a jambori (jamobree? spelling?). So, will Graydusk and my favored "One Eye" Zonneth make it, or is this a recipe for disaster?

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
Re: Clown Grinder?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:38:05 am »

I think the circus is immune to traps at least mundane traps.  This includes weapon traps, although I could be wrong.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 01:44:10 am »

If by iron spears you meant menacing iron spikes, you'll probably be okay. Spikes are significantly sharper than spears, so you definitely want to be using spikes.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 01:47:25 am »

Oh geez, I wasn't sure there was a difference. I'll be sure to switch my orders over to iron spikes. Either way, if it fails, I do have some Fortifications and dwarf-made tunnels to try and at least mount some kind of offensive (/cool story so my dwarves doom doesn't seem so boring) should it spectacularily fail.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 02:53:20 am »

some of the clowns need to be hacked apart, I don't think iron (or even steel) spikes or spears will do that, otherwise, should be fine
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 02:56:55 am »

So worse comes to worse, I should be able to tenderize the squishy clowns, and then hack up whats left with forty or so legendary dwarf warriors?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 03:01:00 am »

So worse comes to worse, I should be able to tenderize the squishy clowns, and then hack up whats left with forty or so legendary dwarf warriors?

as long as they are axe or sword dwarfs. Hammer and marksdwarfs will not do much more damage. The surviving clowns will be mostly disabled, so it should be doable, unless they all have horrible special combinations. Like a few webbers catching everyone, fire breath roasting them on the spot.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 03:02:09 am »

Well half my military are Axelords (20), should that satisfactory given my initial grinder plan?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 07:26:00 am »

Be wary of foes made of fire - when killed, they will release a burst of flames so hot that they will melt steel.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 10:37:33 pm »

Project clown jelly is about to get underway. It took another year or so of preperation, but I have one switch to activate the candy cane, and another to operate the iron spike traps. I lost one eniter squad to a rather vicious blob, but it was only my hammer lords anyway (Who in hindsight, were utterly useless for nearly everything. My only regret is that my favourite dwarf died of some wounds well resting in the hospital. One Eye Zonneth, the one eyed Axe Lord with a talent for dismembering enemies, will be sorely missed. I dedicate project Clown Jelly to him.

I will let you guys know what happens, if anyone is interested.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 10:58:01 pm »

That was spectacularily uneventful. So first, the queens younger brother decided it was a good idea to build the final wall piece from the wrong side. Of course, the lovely coating of red was painted over the slade immediately after I began testing my trap. Then, I stationed my guards and pulled the lever (or rather, waited for a dwarf to contemplate socks for six days and then walk 160 flights to pull a switch and walk back). And.... nothing happened. The candy cane was retracted, and the rest stayed exactly the same. Is that normal?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 02:24:41 am »

I think only one straw per embark unleashes the fun.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 11:45:22 am »

Sort of correct. I believe the way that it currently works is that if you have multiple ones then regardless of which one you open all of the clowns appear underneath a single one. If that is the one that you opened up then they all come swarming up. If it wasn't then they still swarm up their one, hit the top, and then just sort of mill around IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 03:44:36 pm »

I read some time ago about this fixed surface bombardment device someone built. It basically mixes water and magma in the middle of a floating tile at a rapid rate causing multiple cave ins. The main use of this was to drop stuff into the magma sea to harvest the magma as it would turn to mist and fly as high as the blocks were dropping. The secondary use for this is as a weapon, the cave-in dust this knocks up can cause a lot of injuries. The only problem is the minor one of funneling your enemies into the area.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 03:52:29 pm »

Sort of correct. I believe the way that it currently works is that if you have multiple ones then regardless of which one you open all of the clowns appear underneath a single one. If that is the one that you opened up then they all come swarming up. If it wasn't then they still swarm up their one, hit the top, and then just sort of mill around IIRC.

seconded. Opening a second one won't trigger another invasion of fun, but any pillar can be the gateway, not just one in the whole embark
Pages: [1] 2