Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Training the legendary warrior  (Read 4922 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training the legendary warrior
« on: July 14, 2012, 11:44:14 pm »

So, I have a marksdwarf who I have trained up to be legendary in: Marksdwarf, Archer, Hammerdwarf, Dodger, Fighter, Shield user, and Armour user. She began as a legendary marksdwarf, who I then decided to use as my test subject in a danger room, after I first heard about them. She is missing an ear, and has a scar where a spear pierced her guts, because I accidentally put an iron spear in one of the traps.

She is: Basically unbreakable, unbelievably strong, extremely agile, and indefatigable, but slow to heal. She has an astounding feel for the position of her own body, a stunning feel for spatial relationships, an iron will, a great ability to focus, a natural ability with music, and a good sense of empathy, but an iffy memory and a shortage of patience.

I figure most of these are really good. Slow to heal I hope I don't have to worry about, since that can't be helped. Music is useless at the current time (right?). The shortage of patience means she'll just get into the killing quicker. She's also getting used to tragedy, and has no relationships more than passing acquaintances, which means less likely to go nuts. What of these physical and mental skills should I try and get more of in her, and how would I improve them?

I'm thinking I might start training her on the other weapon skills, as well as striker, biter, kicker and all those other ones as well. How is it best to get those skills up? I don't want to use the danger room any more than I have to now that I've seen how overpowered it is. It's now just a punishment for my vampire (put it in butt naked after she decided to feast on 2 of my dwarves, then after she became unhappy I locked her up for 402 days straight (let's hope this thing doesn't go beserk).

I believe I have just captured a werebeast, which came into my fortress as a human child, so if at all possible, I'd like to infect her, so she can get the full healing powers of that, and get her ear back. But... how can I get the thing to attack her without her absolutely slaughtering it.

Despite the danger room training, she has proven her worth in battle, with about 40 notable kills, as well as about 10 trolls and other minor threats on the list too, and was the last surviving marksdwarf from my near loyalty cascade... Fortunately she killed the rest outside before the fighting came inside, saving the fortress.
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training the legendary warrior
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 12:53:42 am »

Does she use a rat leather backpack as a weapon though?
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:55:00 am »

Does she use a rat leather backpack as a weapon though?

And wear a artifact bluemetal breastplate?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 01:08:51 am »

You can even use a backpack as a weapon? Legendary backpack fighter ;D And she has artifact adamantine left gauntlet (just waiting for the right one... I hate having unevenness)
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 05:16:14 am »

I believe I have just captured a werebeast, which came into my fortress as a human child, so if at all possible, I'd like to infect her, so she can get the full healing powers of that, and get her ear back. But... how can I get the thing to attack her without her absolutely slaughtering it.
First, infect a bunch of peasants. Then introduce your marksdwarf to around 2-3 of the were-beasts at the same time, and at least one should manage to get a bite and tear in. Just be sure to have an execution squad leftover so they don't kill her.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 05:40:50 am »

What of these physical and mental skills should I try and get more of in her, and how would I improve them?

You already improved them by letting her fight. Combat training improves all physical attributes, and she is almost maxed out on all of them.
For more detailed information, consult your local wiki.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 06:17:11 am »

First, infect a bunch of peasants. Then introduce your marksdwarf to around 2-3 of the were-beasts at the same time, and at least one should manage to get a bite and tear in. Just be sure to have an execution squad leftover so they don't kill her.

If I make her sleep in a room, and hopefully time it with the full moon, what's the likelihood of them getting a hit or two in?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 08:44:29 am »

If I make her sleep in a room, and hopefully time it with the full moon, what's the likelihood of them getting a hit or two in?
Considering how she'd be unconscious, 100%. This is bad - Dwarves rarely ever wake up for anything, and whilst most helmets would block all hits, tearing goes through armour and... Bye bye head. You'd best do it whilst she's awake. The were creatures only need to get one bite that breaks through to the muscle layer. Severed arteries are a sure way to know when someone's infected. Making sure she's thirsty and hungry before she fights might help reduce her combat prowess a bit.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 08:56:26 am »

Remove the masterwork adamantine I'm assuming? Do I replace it with leather for a little protection, or leave her naked in there to increase the chances of infection.

Considering she's a legendary dodger though, she could potentially dodge everything... meh, i've got a few haulers to spare...

even better... children :D It's a child weregiraffe, why not infect more children!!!

Once I do get her infected, how would you propose I keep her from destroying the whole fortress when the full moon comes around?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 10:43:33 am »

Remove the masterwork adamantine I'm assuming? Do I replace it with leather for a little protection, or leave her naked in there to increase the chances of infection.

Once I do get her infected, how would you propose I keep her from destroying the whole fortress when the full moon comes around?

Armor wise, I wouldn't really know what's good and what's not. I just armour my peasants in cloth and send two of them in so at least one can escape. I'd say armour her upper body and head with metal and leave everything else bare.
As for the full moon thing, just station her into an alcove every full moon. Doors, bridges, unnecessarily large airlocks...

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 06:09:11 am »

Yeesh - answer is simple.

Lock were beast in a danger room as well. Level him up so that he gets much stronger and then can actually fight enough to were-fect your legendary warrior.

If it fails - well hey - it should be legendary anyway :D.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 06:19:33 am »

Misc. Object and Wrestling can be trained fairly well in squads with no weapon and shield assigned. Have them grapple/punch/kick a bunch of gobbos. Add a shield to their equip. Punch/kick/strike/grapple/Misc. obj. shield bash more goblins. Over the decades your teacher skill will eventually ramp up and the dwarves will equalize their skills and then slowly improve to legend.

Just make sure they're clad in a full suit of the best armor you can get for them. You might have missed disarming a goblin or twenty or a jabberer will take offense to being hit.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 07:23:00 am »

I don't bother disarming the goblins. I chuck em in a pit and let the archers shoot them...

but since her recent feat of falling asleep on the battlefield, then getting up, surrounded by 15 goblins, killing them all without a single wound... I'm starting to doubt her becoming a were beast..

What's the average lifespan of a dwarf? She's about 110 now, is she likely to die any time soon?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 07:28:44 am »

Maxage is around 150 I think. After that there's an increasing chance of death by old age. Although I've seen one Dwarf make it past 200 before getting eaten by a were-creature.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 07:45:39 am »

Maxage is around 150 I think. After that there's an increasing chance of death by old age. Although I've seen one Dwarf make it past 200 before getting eaten by a were-creature.

So 150 minimum, with a chance to live older? I've still got 40 years to get her full legendary :D
Pages: [1] 2