Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Helvus: Sorta a sequel but not quite.  (Read 18463 times)

yourfears

• Bay Watcher
  • immortalis redundus
    • View Profile
Re: Helvus: Sorta a sequel but not quite.
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2012, 02:24:27 pm »

for the time being the egglike growths in the eastern grass field have me a little worried, we should collect some samples for the science clones to have a look at after they're done with the current projects, If the egglike growths pose a threat, We should strive to remove them before nightfall or before they would mature.

agreed never hurt to be cautious especially in 1 of  his games, everything on screen has a purpose
voice of evil reason

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2012, 02:20:28 pm »

Also lurking, keep up the good work.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2012, 05:00:21 am »

Turn 6:

Site:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dirt Construction Modification has finished researching!

The concretion mech can now use dirt as a building material.

The Alien Examination is complete!

The alien creature is inedible. It has a plant-like larval stage where it develops inside an egg-structure which seeps nutrients from the ground in order to develop the fetus once born the creatures fully mature in 3 - 4 weeks. The fully developed animals have numerous sacks within them which contain seeds for the plant-larval stage. The developed animal may release these seeds at will but will also release them when killed. The animal also contains a lot of oils which form the basis of many of it's digestive and circulatory systems. These oils could be used to create plastics if minor modifications were made to the plastics machine (This Project has been added to the research projects list). It is estimated that a mature creature could contain up to three units of plastic. The creature is an omnivore and feeds on both the grass it dwells in and on creatures that it kills. It's teeth are unable to puncture metal easily but it's teeth contain a mild poison which would paralyze an average human for 6 turns.

You get estimates from the science clones about researching the grass and mushroom samples (details are in the research projects list) since you now have five idle science clones.

You supervise two workers while they dig a ditch. Since a wall is going up on the north side you decide to have the ditch dug between you and the animals.

The worker who is doing exploratory mining has found what appears to be a chunk of concrete. Only a corner has been uncovered so it is possible this is only a small part of a larger section of concrete.

You send two combat robots west to scout the lay of the land.

You receive images on your handheld communicator.

Land to the WEST:

The vehicles will arrive from the north in one turn.

Power: 5(max) (+5/-3)
Research Projects:

Population (includes robotic workers):

Cargo Hold:

Blueprints:

Spoiler: Author Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 05:16:40 am by Evil Lincoln »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2012, 05:12:57 am »

Alright:

Research plastic machine modification with 1 clone and the alien mushroom with 4 clones. Get a unit of metal from the stores for research.
Have the worker robot that found the concrete continue digging around the corner to see if it is part of a larger structure.
Have the 2 idle workers refine silicates.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2012, 05:32:21 am »

lets neglect the excavation of the concrete untill we're a little more settled in.

are the scout robots able to communicate with us? and do we already 'know' about the west area? anyway we can't really go over there personally to grab samples with vehicles inbound. We'll want to be at the camp.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2012, 05:42:53 am »

are the scout robots able to communicate with us? and do we already 'know' about the west area?

You receive images on your handheld communicator.

I figured that even basic combat robots would have some sort of short range communications equipment inbuilt. No you didn't know about it before.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2012, 06:33:57 am »

lets neglect the excavation of the concrete untill we're a little more settled in.
let's not neglect anything if we don't have anything better for the workers to do.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2012, 12:49:32 pm »

We better investigate the herd of creatures to the west.
Tough they look like they would trample our combat robots with ease.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2012, 02:23:31 pm »

Possible name for the plant creatures: Liongrass-Bug.

try to get the combat robots to bring back some water samples.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2012, 02:25:05 pm »

Possible name for the plant creatures: Liongrass-Bug.

Sounds good enough.

It's either that or Species X-0001

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2012, 02:48:29 pm »

I'd call them Fungal Hares, myself. They look like they're made of mushrooms.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2012, 01:22:24 am »

Turn 7:

Site:

Plastics Machine Modification Complete!
The plastics machine will now be able to process oils found in local Liongrass-bugs.

Alien Examination(mushroom) Complete!

These plants are edible. They pose no danger and appear to reproduce through pollination and have deep root systems. Their stem contains oils that can be processed into plastics due to the Plastics Machine Modification. Estimates say that a mature plant could contain up to four plastics worth of oils.

The excavation of the concrete chunk reveals that although it is not connected to a larger structure it is resting on the edge of a larger slab of concrete.

You have the two idle workers process the silicates.

There is little usable gravel around the landing site to make concrete out of. There is only enough left for one more turn of gathering before it is depleted.

A combat robot spots the vehicles to the north...

Land to the WEST:
You order the combat robots to collect some water samples. They walk around the larger slow moving animals and avoid the long grass which is home to a number of Liongrass-bugs. The water animals head towards them...

You have triggered SPECIAL EVENTS: First Contact and Fight to the west
Until these events are completed turns will not pass.

First Contact:
The vehicles have stopped just over a kilometer away behind a rise in the soil. You view the video feed from the combat robot for a closer look.

Jaskirat: "Are you seeing this Kieren?"
Kieren: "Yes I'm seeing it. Give me a second I'll put the ship on yellow alert to wake up Marty*."
Jaskirat: "Why is he asleep? He wanted to get here more then anyone."
Kieren: "He said he was tired from the flight, he was flying us through a minefield after all. He also wanted to take the night shift."
Jaskirat: "I'd completely forgotten about night, how long until sundown?"
Kieren: "Um, the computer says it'll be in about seven turns."
Marty: "What's the alert about?"
Kieren: "Some vehicles are approaching the landing site."
Marty: "Cool, unless they try and kill Jaskirat. Do we have a feed?"
Kieren: "Yes."
Marty: "What the hell, is that seriously the best picture we have?"
Jaskirat: "Feel free to come on down and see with your own eyes."
Marty: "I'll stay up here thanks. We really need to invest in better cameras though."

*Marty: The previously unnamed pilot

One of the vehicles begins to move towards your location.

Fight to the west:

To the west your robots are being assailed by native lifeforms.

Power: 5(max) (+5/-5)
Research Projects:

Population (includes robotic workers):

Cargo Hold:

Blueprints:

Spoiler: Author Notes (click to show/hide)

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2012, 01:36:56 am »

Put 2 Scientists on a refit for our starship's sensors/cameras and 3 Scientists on alien grass studies.
As for the two events: For first contact we should try to refrain from the use of violence, as we are probably incapable of holding off the locals for any significant amount of time.
For the fight to the west, have the two combat robots perform a fighting retreat so we can get those water samples studied.
Now I have a few questions: Can we improve our laser weapons, and is it possible to conduct further research on the indigenous life?

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2012, 02:11:34 am »

Now I have a few questions: Can we improve our laser weapons, and is it possible to conduct further research on the indigenous life?
I'll let you improve your laser weapons to an extent. I want to avoid to much clutter though so probably only 3 tiers of laser efficiency/lethality and I'm fine with you researching different types of laser weapons as long as they have different rolls: laser miniguns, laser pistols. On that note researching other types of weapons is on the cards as well since they'd perform differently against different armour types (laser rifles wouldn't even make a dint in ceramic armour but a round from a projectile weapon or explosives would be able to).

As for further researching the local wildlife. Um. I guess you could. The thing is since they aren't real animals I have to make up all their properties and behaviors. So isn't not like I have detailed plans for how their bodies work, so researching something vague like 'perform further research' will just end up with me trying to figure out something about them. If you want to run specific tests (like resistance to laser fire) on them that is A-okay though.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2012, 07:04:55 am »

a fighting retreat for the robots in the west sound like a good idea, With luck the creatures wont move very fast out of the water.

about first contact, if at all possible try to be civil and make friends. it would be nice if we had some gifts but looking trough our cargobay there really isnt anything to spare.
also, drop what we're doing to prepare for the meeting.

splitting research between camera/sensor adjustments and hydroponics equipment. 3/2
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6