Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smelter Issues  (Read 1612 times)

mustafa2812

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smelter Issues
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:24:42 pm »

I am trying to make pig iron bars in my magma smelter.  I have coke and I have iron bars and I have flux stone.  When i press enter on "make pig iron bar" it says in red "Takes place at smelter or magma smelter" and in yellow it says "requires fuel".  aaaand it doesnt let me make them.  help??

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Smelter Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 10:24:29 pm »

At least one tile of your magma smelter has to be on the Z level above magma.

z 1 mmm
     mmm
     mmm

z 0 ~~~
     ~~~
     ~~~

m = magma forge/smelter/whatever
~ = magma

Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 10:40:52 pm »

At least one tile of your magma smelter has to be on the Z level above magma.
If the workshop was unpowered, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even be able to open the "Add Job" menu in the first place. It's more likely that it's a burrow problem - what happens if you issue a work order from the job manager?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

mustafa2812

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:20:40 pm »

My forge is on magma.  When I use the manager to create the pig iron, It says that i need flux stones.  I have 3 marble apparently.  Should I get more?  Is that the problem?  I will try that for now.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 01:36:17 am »

My forge is on magma.  When I use the manager to create the pig iron, It says that i need flux stones.  I have 3 marble apparently.  Should I get more?  Is that the problem?  I will try that for now.
Are the 3 marble you "apparently" have bound up in buildings? Stones used in constructions, still appear on the stocks screen, but of course can't be used in reactions.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 02:51:16 am »

and blocks of flux don't work
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 06:11:10 am »

Dig some more Marble, burn some wood.

Turn off all Burrows. Try it again.

If that doesn't work, report it as a bug.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:16:32 am by Triaxx2 »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 07:24:14 am »

Turn off all Burrows. Try it again.
It's been suggested elsewhere that it doesn't matter whether burrow restrictions are active, that the mere act of placing a smelter inside a burrow prevents it from seeing any materials outside the burrow when suggesting available jobs (but not when actually performing said jobs, which is why it works when you use the job manager).
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 11:16:34 am »

Also your flux/iron/fuel may be in a stockpile that is not "giving" to the smelter.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 11:32:04 am »

requires fuel Hmm. 

Sounds to me, like the magma levels and pressures are too low.  Is that magma being used by the smelter, coming into its channel on a diagonal leak or a straight on leak?  If it is on a diagonal, it might need a straight on leak.  So the pressure isn't too low to fuel the workstations above it.  Diagonal leaks, turn off pressure.  Also we have to keep Magma levels in that channel at 6/7, anything under that will be too shallow to heat the tools.  And if tools are not heated, a requires fuel error will appear.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 12:12:17 pm »

requires fuel Hmm. 

Sounds to me, like the magma levels and pressures are too low.  Is that magma being used by the smelter, coming into its channel on a diagonal leak or a straight on leak?  If it is on a diagonal, it might need a straight on leak.  So the pressure isn't too low to fuel the workstations above it.  Diagonal leaks, turn off pressure.  Also we have to keep Magma levels in that channel at 6/7, anything under that will be too shallow to heat the tools.  And if tools are not heated, a requires fuel error will appear.  Sincerely, Knutor
The very first reply to the OP made that same suggestion, and it was wrong - if the workshop needed magma, it would have said "Must have magma accessible from below one of the 8 boundary tiles" upon attempting to open the "Add new task" menu.

If you're going to suggest a solution, make sure somebody else hasn't already suggested it...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:14:03 pm by Quietust »

mustafa2812

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 01:55:39 pm »

Well, it looks like the flux stone was already used to build something so I mined out some more marble and what do you know.  Pig Iron.  Thanks for the help!