Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A little design for an FB catcher/crusher  (Read 1119 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
A little design for an FB catcher/crusher
« on: July 14, 2012, 06:16:42 pm »

Code: [Select]
_ = floor
╬ = bridge (see text)
+ = door

__╬_.##
___I__#
_+╬_╬__

Only the bottom layer is accessible to the caverns, with the FB entering from the right and pathing through the bridges and door to enter the fortress beyond.
The bottom two bridges are raising bridges, and the upper bridge is a retracting one. Any building that can be stood on will be sufficient, as the intent is to provide access without providing support.

Activation is not automatic. You need to wait until the FB is standing between the raising bridges and pounding on the locked door two tiles away, and then pull the lever to raise the bridges (burrows may be necessary to get the lever pulled in time). The FB will then be held in the tile between the bridges, and from there you can pull the lever for the support.

There's a bug that causes crashes when you drop a cave-in on creatures made of flame (and possibly other gasses?), so you may have to settle for containment. Another option is to build the sides of the trap as fortifications and use bridges to cut off LOS until you're ready to pepper the beast with arrows, but anything with ranged attacks will need special treatment. I'm not sure if dwarves have the range to fire on an FB without being fired on themselves, and you'd need Elites anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A little design for an FB catcher/crusher
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:00:06 am »

For FB hunting I just build little complexes next to the cavern using short ditched drawbridges.  One between the fortress and the complex, one between the complex and the cavern (once the last connecting piece of wall is mined out) and a group of 3 space "cells" that each can be sealed off by a separate drawbridge.  A door is placed in the far end of the cell, and the other two spaces are spike traps connected to a lever.

FB enters cell to pound door and you seal it in.  Then you spike it repeatedly.  This will kill many FB, or at least cripple by chipping/fracturing those made inorganics.  Once the door is destroyed there is a spot for them to avoid the spikes.  Or they can jump/fall into the one space pit by the drawbridge.  But you have the option of just leaving them sealed in there if you want in any case depending on their composition and associated syndrome. 

Plus you can expand by adding more cells if you need to, or to play with adding additional features to aid in disposal.

Code: [Select]

_ = floor
+ = door
s = spike trap
b = drawbridge

+  +  +
       s  s  s
       s  s  s
       b  b  b
       b  b  b
++_____________++
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 03:10:45 pm »

I just capture FBs. I make a trap hallway and place my silk farm above it then forbid the hallway. The furthest wall has been channeled to allow webs to fall down randomly onto the cage traps below. When a monster walks down the hall it gets caught in the webbed cage traps. Unless it can shot webs then I usually have to temporarily seal the entrances to my fort till I can get my marksdwarf squad down there to ping it off at a distance.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:15:50 pm »

I just capture FBs. I make a trap hallway and place my silk farm above it then forbid the hallway. The furthest wall has been channeled to allow webs to fall down randomly onto the cage traps below. When a monster walks down the hall it gets caught in the webbed cage traps. Unless it can shot webs then I usually have to temporarily seal the entrances to my fort till I can get my marksdwarf squad down there to ping it off at a distance.
Do you have another hallway for other animals?
How large is your silk farm and how often do the webs fall down onto the trap?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 12:38:39 am »

Trapping them is always cool, because then you can set up a Forgotten Beast Petting Zoo... a very dwarfy project.
Never pet a burning dog.