Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flowing well water = better?  (Read 906 times)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flowing well water = better?
« on: July 14, 2012, 02:30:19 pm »

I decided to setup a well in my hospital, I plan to let water drain into the container from a river nearby, the problem is the water will have to flow across Z levels and I read doing that will destroy the natural "Flow" from river water (Obviously the river will remain naterually flowing, just as soon as the water channeled from it changes Z level said water stops flowing natrually) What are the effects of this? I read on the wiki all well water is instantly clean and desalted, etc. However I'm unsure if this is true considering forum posts I read. Will non flowing water become contaminiated? (under "Normal" circumstances) Will I have doctors end up cleaning dwarves with dirty water, infecting them, and killing them, then have the unhappy thoughts from "Stagent water" cause a tantrum spiral, etc?

Or is it perfectly safe and fine to channel a river down to the hospital?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:46:23 pm by Toybasher »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Flowing well water = better?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 03:10:48 pm »

If you're using the most recent versions of DF, then the stagnant water bug is dead and all is well. Wells also do not desalinate water or instantly clean it, if the water being provided is salty, stagnant or laced with blood, pus, vomit, mud and other such substances, it's carried into the bucket the Dwarves transport the water with. Which makes it a good idea to ensure your well source tile is clean, or at least capable of carrying 2 z lvls of water - so only the top layer of water is ever drawn from, which is open space, meaning it'll never carry pollutants. I don't think there's any difference between flowing clean water and still clean water in terms of cleanliness.

CMD footnote, stagnant water is better than no water when treating patients. A chance of survival is better than none, and you also really don't want to have all of your Dwarves sharing few wells - especially ones that are used for hospitals. Only one Dwarf can ever use a well at a time.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flowing well water = better?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 03:28:56 pm »

If you're using the most recent versions of DF, then the stagnant water bug is dead and all is well. Wells also do not desalinate water or instantly clean it, if the water being provided is salty, stagnant or laced with blood, pus, vomit, mud and other such substances, it's carried into the bucket the Dwarves transport the water with. Which makes it a good idea to ensure your well source tile is clean, or at least capable of carrying 2 z lvls of water - so only the top layer of water is ever drawn from, which is open space, meaning it'll never carry pollutants. I don't think there's any difference between flowing clean water and still clean water in terms of cleanliness.

CMD footnote, stagnant water is better than no water when treating patients. A chance of survival is better than none, and you also really don't want to have all of your Dwarves sharing few wells - especially ones that are used for hospitals. Only one Dwarf can ever use a well at a time.

Ok, thanks. I just remember reading somewhere that non flowing water became stagant overtime, like for example: I had a river, this river is completely clean and freshwater, I drained some of the water into a aquaduct , and moved it across Z-levels, this will ruin the "Natural flow" (Which is the case) Now the thing was, I remembered reading somewhere that even if the water is "Clean" and even in the container with the well, over time, if the water remains without flow, it would become "Stagant" over a couple months, even if nothing is done to said water aside from sitting there in the tank. Luckily, this isn't the case. Thank you for the help. (I already have 3 wells set up connected to one tank in one room, this has natural flow. but i decided i need another one in the hospital for quick access for wounded dwarves even if it is only a 1 Z level walk upstairs.)