Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombie Dragons.  (Read 5441 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Zombie Dragons.
« on: July 14, 2012, 01:04:32 pm »

I have a few, quite a few that I found by looking at legends. So I was wondering, do they act like normal dragons, invading your fortress, breathing fire and what not?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Dragons.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:09:34 pm »

Although I have never been cursed blessed to be sieged by zombie dragons, my understanding of game mechanics is that they will come with necromancers only. They still breathe fire iirc. I almost remember that they might work like a normal megabeast, but not sure.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:55:19 pm »

I haven't yet encountered one, only in legends mode, but I don't think they are related to necros. It doesn't say anything about them being reanimated in legends and I think they can occur in worlds without necros. There are zombie rocs and hydras also.  They seem to be a bit rare, I have seen many worlds with 20+ megabeasts without one.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 02:40:16 pm »

I believe it is what happens when the megabeastīs inital spawn point/lair is in a terrifying/evil area.
Because the area imposes the undead template onto its creatures, you get a zombie megabeast.

I have about 3 zombie dragons in my world, two of them in terrifying tudras, the other in an evil jungle. As far as Ive seen they act like normal dragons in world gen, stealing things and what not. They should be able to attack you in fortress mode.

But remember, because they have had the undead template imposed upon them their body will most likely be heavily rotted, so a couple crossbow bolts may just kill it. Then again, I believe they retain dragonfire capabilities.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 03:24:57 pm »

I believe it is what happens when the megabeastīs inital spawn point/lair is in a terrifying/evil area.
Because the area imposes the undead template onto its creatures, you get a zombie megabeast.

This. It'll behave exactly like a normal megabeast would.

But remember, because they have had the undead template imposed upon them their body will most likely be heavily rotted, so a couple crossbow bolts may just kill it. Then again, I believe they retain dragonfire capabilities.

If the undead still have their hitpoint system, then yes. Flying pointy sticks will do great.

mr_coolface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 04:56:11 pm »

my experience with zombie mega beast is that they are weaker you just have to hit it with something blunt a few times and it will collapse. slashing weapons wont do much unless they break bones or something but with slashing you risk the body parts getting up and killing you

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 05:02:23 pm »

I had war cave dragons attack me with a goblin siege. They then reanimated because they died on an evil mountain. Does this count?
And I've had reanimated forgotten beasts that proved nearly impossible to kill conventionally. Larger undead seem to be very hard to kill.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 05:20:08 pm »

my experience with zombie mega beast is that they are weaker you just have to hit it with something blunt a few times and it will collapse. slashing weapons wont do much unless they break bones or something but with slashing you risk the body parts getting up and killing you

It's mostly personal preference, but in the case of very large creatures - megabeasts especially, you WANT to chop off as many body parts as possible. Make the megabeast smaller.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 08:51:00 pm »

Is that in the most recent version? Because up until recently the undead had been seriously nerfed* to the point they were just about powerless (I punched a zombie giant to death in seconds).  After the whole undead re-write they are a force to be reckoned with at times and I would assume (though I haven't met a zombie megabeast since the update, much less specifically a zombie dragon) that the megabeasts got overhauled too.

*For those not in the know, a long time ago the undead were.. Terrible.. Powerful, and just irritating.  Mainly because getting a 'kill shot' in them was so hard cause they were, you know, dead.. I once beat on a skeletal yeti for an entire year before it finally died, it was unconcious for most of that time.  In response Toady made them have 'life bars' basically (as opposed to an internal injury system that other things have) which made them basically pushovers to even weak, weaponless cheesemakers.. This has, of course, all changed in the recent versions.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 08:08:58 pm »

Just found one of the worldīs zombie dragons. He is complete. No missing or rotten body parts. I was a necromancer so he didnt attack me.

Slashing and stabing the head took a while and he ocasionally attacked me, but not as a counterattack I think. All dragonfire was easily blocked.
Extremely slow-moving, though I had 1300 speed. He was butchered without problems.

So they work the same as regular megabeasts, only they are undead-aligned.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 08:26:10 pm »

My experiences with zombies in reanimating biomes have shown that zombies do keep all of their abilities from life. (Learned it the hard way the first time a troll's hand bashed down a locked door and strangled a child.) Don't see why dragons wouldn't be the same way.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 10:45:40 pm »

So it's the same thing as the titans with "an aura of giving and kindness" that spawn in good areas. Are there zombie titans too? So far I've only seen zombie megabeasts, except for BC because they don't count as life and thus can't be undead.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 11:17:28 pm »

It ought to be possible, but since this is a randomly generated creature and thus doesnt have a base template over which an undead template can be applied to, I think the game will just give it an evil aura instead.