Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Militia, Moods and Madness  (Read 825 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Militia, Moods and Madness
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:39:38 pm »

So, I just discovered today that being an active militia unit that is engaged in combat and wounded does not mean you cannot be selected for a strange mood.

Etur Almoshmorul, a fisherdwarf drafted into my marksdwarf squad due to a greenskin ambush, was active, shot in the lower leg, passed out. Carried a few tiles away from where he fell, then he woke up and limped to the craftsdwarf shop where I make bone bolts, and claimed it due to being possessed.  He then tried to get the materials he is looking for, moved one tile then passed out from the four copper arrow wounds he sustained in the fight that isn't quite over yet.

So, I'm assuming that if he isn't able to collect the materials he wants he will go mad, as usual.  What I'm curious about is whether he'll get seen by a doctor before that happens or not.  He is currently the only injured dwarf, so its not like the two doctors are busy.  However, if Etur heads off under the command of whatever force is possessing him he may not even get diagnosed.

This is definitely going to be interesting.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: Militia, Moods and Madness
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:53:54 pm »

Hope he doesn't bleed out on you.  Are you gonna win the SIEGE?  Guess results won't matter if they break through your traps and overwhelm things. 

If he does manage to pull it off, don't forget to disable his hauling, fishing, and whatever else, so he can focus on the Legendary craftskill, he gets as a result of creating an artifact.  I always forget to do that.  I had a Legendary woodcrafter in my 106 dorf fortress, with woodcraftering turned OFF, for 3months.  DOH!  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 12:56:26 pm »

He won't get upgraded since it is a possession

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:04:52 pm »

So now in addition to the irresistible urge dwarfs have to get socks during a large siege, now they have an irreisitable urge to MAKE said socks during battle...

Oh goody, this can only end well.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:48:54 pm »

Oddly enough, it did end well.

It was only an ambush.  One bowgoblin and seven or eight pike goblins.  I managed to kill three and drive the rest (and a snatcher) off with out losing more than a gem cutter (out collecting crossbow bolts, and the dwarf that found the ambush).  Etur survived, and completed his shale ring with shale and microcline "gem stones", and menacing spikes of cave spider silk (value: 4800 Urists).  Only one other dwarf was injured - a recruit that was by himself fighting a relatively even battle against a pike gobbo, but got hit in the liver.  He limped home, and the rest of the militia put down the gobbo that wounded him.

It looks like Etur woke up, and gathered his materials, then completed his work without being seen in the hospital.  In fact, I don't think he's been seen yet, since it says diagnosis required, crutch required (ability to stand lost due to the broken leg).  He's currently awake, in pain, and still sitting in the craftsdwarf shop he worked in. Since he's awake, nobody has bothered hauling helping him to the hospital, it seems.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 02:03:16 am »

Being in an active squad only prevents moods for non-recruits. Presumably Etur still had no military skill at least novice level, and was thus eligible for moods.

You might want to de-construct the workshop, build an upright spear trap under him (use a single copper or silver spear), link it to a lever, and stab him a few times to remind him that he needs to go to hospital.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 02:10:37 am »

Being in an active squad only prevents moods for non-recruits. Presumably Etur still had no military skill at least novice level, and was thus eligible for moods.

You might want to de-construct the workshop, build an upright spear trap under him (use a single copper or silver spear), link it to a lever, and stab him a few times to remind him that he needs to go to hospital.
He was a Competent Marksdwarf from his time hunting Giant Kea Birds, Giant something-headed Love Birds, Giant Swallows and Giant Grasshoppers.  He wasn't active at the time, however, because of his injuries, so I think that trumped the "active military" aspect blocking a mood.

Wounding him it tempting, but I've got five or six hunters, so if he dies I'm not that concerned about it.  The idiot should have gone below instead of back toward the farm area before the mood hit anyway.