Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How big is a square?  (Read 520 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
How big is a square?
« on: July 14, 2012, 05:08:20 am »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but has anyone determined the most plausible size of a tile/square on the screen? This is just something I've wanted to know for a long time, but I'm too lazy to do the math myself (like putting a human walk around and then seeing how much time it takes to get from point A to point B, accuracy would certainly be low). My first impression was something like a meterxmeter, but then I remembered that basically all of the worlds movable stuff can be jammed on the same tile. Then I remembered the size of a wagon, which is bigger than six dragons apparently (it take more tiles y'know!). So, I concluded that the world of DF is in some state of warped physics and phasing and such. Any other ideas?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: How big is a square?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 05:17:06 am »

The tile volume is indeterminate and purposefully ambiguous. There has been some decent estimates based on the raws for blocks, but I dont recall them bring a real conclusion to tile volume.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 05:32:12 am »

Big enough to contain five thousand dragons, but too small for two dwarves to walk past each other.

Basically, one of it's legs is both the same.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 06:53:31 am »

A theory is that objects in DF are actually 4-dimensional.
Somebody else that remembers the theory can explain.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 08:51:26 am »

Since the introduction of mine carts, the size of a tile has been defined as 2x2 meters in area and 3 meters tall. But it's still big enough to hold 100 dragons so long as 99 of them are lying down.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 11:38:41 am »

Since the introduction of mine carts, the size of a tile has been defined as 2x2 meters in area and 3 meters tall. But it's still big enough to hold 100 dragons so long as 99 of them are lying down.

That doesnt disprove the theory that DF objects are 4D objects represented by 2D sprites.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.