Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to kill migrants?  (Read 6438 times)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to kill migrants?
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:59:05 pm »

I have 147 dwarves now and the FPS drops to ~75. I changed the pop-cap to 80 but it is too late. I tested that if I flood the dining hall with water (via dfhack) and kill about 50 dwarves, the FPS will be more than 100. So I decided to kill some. But I really don't want to drown so many indifferently. I want to kill 20 most useless adults and 10 weakest children. I can draft the adults and drown them, but the children are difficult. Children cannot be assigned jobs and IDLE children don't response to burrows. So how can I move them out of the dining hall?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: How to kill migrants?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:06:25 am »

children will rush to deconstruct constructed walls, floors, ect., especially floors over tall cliff edges...

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 12:42:26 am »

Alternatively, draft all the adults you want to save, move them somewhere else and flood the dining hall.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:10:42 am »

children will rush to deconstruct constructed walls, floors, ect., especially floors over tall cliff edges...
Thanks, but I want to kill the weak ones and save several children who will become good recruits in a year or two.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:18:05 am »

A meeting zone in a burrow will lure children assigned to that burrow. Meeting zones can be made on bridges. Just saying.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 01:31:39 am »

vampires
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 01:55:49 am »

vampires
but none of the 147 is a vampire, sigh.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 09:10:34 am »

Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
My wooden badge was delicious.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 08:07:56 pm »

Make bridge above magma
Make burrow on bridge
Add every useless dwarf to the burrow
Retract the bridge
???
PROFIT!
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 08:29:33 pm »

Make a large 10x10 raising bridge inside a 10x10 room with one door. Attach the bridge to a lever. Raise the bridge. Turn off all burrows. Create one burrow right under the bridge. Create another burrow that includes all of the map except that area under the bridge. Assign all useless dwarves to the burrow under the bridge and all useful dwarves to the other burrow. Wait for dwarves to run to their burrows. Pull the lever. I like this method better than dropping them from 10+ z-levels because there are no bodies to clean up.

You will also need one slab per dead dwarf, unless you like ghosts.

BTW, other ways to raise your FPS include turning off temperature and weather. Temperature is necessary for magma, fire, and cold/heat effects, but otherwise not really needed. Weather is a source of minor bad thoughts and little else (with the exception of cursed weather, which can be more troublesome). I don't think it's cheating to turn those off, if you want to. Of course, magma will be essentially red water; but that's a worthwhile trade-off when FPS matters. Also slaughter or cage all excess livestock. You can pasture unwanted pets beneath an execution bridge.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:33:38 pm by Callista »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 03:27:18 am »

Import very angry vegetables from the goblins.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 11:50:57 am »

I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 06:15:28 pm »

Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.
Pages: [1] 2