Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mother 3 translation  (Read 757 times)

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mother 3 translation
« on: July 13, 2012, 10:27:58 pm »

I recently got the game, and while I am learning Japanese, I'm nowhere near far enough along to be able to understand most of the game, so I have been trying to find a decent translation online to use. Of course I started with Tomato's, but there doesn't seem to be any way of viewing the translation's text directly rather than reading it from a ROM and an old beta version of the script which has not been put in any kind of order. What I'd really like if it exists is something like this site's translation of Mother and partial of Mother 2, and I'd settle for something like this which just translates story-important things. What I really don't want to have to use is something like this, which while it contains the whole script does so in such a way that I have no way of knowing which lines go to which characters when. Right now my last resort is to youtube walkthroughs, but I thought I'd at least ask.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Mother 3 translation
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:47:29 pm »

Somewhat confused. Are you trying to run it on an actual gba or through an emulator? If the latter, th'tomato one should patch to English without problem and play on VBA or no$gba. The former, I can't help... there's ways to patch a gba game for actual machine use, but it's beyond my technical knowledge and takes some hardware you probably don't have.

Are you wanting to just read a script or something? Have you considered firing an email to th'tomato fellow or the other folks that worked on the patch? Another good place to ask about a subject like this is romhacking.net's message board, where a lot of game-related fan-translation work congregates. You're probably a lot more likely to get a good answer there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:15:24 am »

I think starmen.net would probably be okay with questions, although I'm not terribly familiar with the place.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:35:39 am »

Frumple: I've got an actual cartridge, though I'm playing on a DS.  My computer is really awful, and has had trouble with emulators in the past, so I try to keep away from them as much as possible. Emailing tomato is a good idea, I should have tried that first. Thanks.

Seriyu: That was the first place I checked, and there wasn't anything relevant on the site. There were a couple old threads discussing it, but it seems like pretty much everyone who cared just went ahead and used the ROM. I should probably have posted over there, but I wanted to at least try asking before starting another forum account.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far