Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Grisliest Combat Logs!  (Read 27862 times)

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
Grisliest Combat Logs!
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:05:48 pm »

A friend of mine: "Keep meaning to [try DF], but haven't yet. It may sound somewhat sophomoric, but one thing that Escape Plan has going for it is just how grisly of demises the two main characters can meet... torched, sliced, shot, splattered, suffocated, et cetera.."

Help me out here!  We need to demonstrate that DF's level of violence and anatomical detail is far more sophisticated than a simple drowning animation . . . I'm looking for combat logs of the most creative, extensive, and amazingly grotesque injuries and deaths Dwarf Fortress can inflict upon dwarves, goblins, elves (especially elves!), and other beings of all stripes.  Mine cart accidents, booze explosions, creative physics demonstrations, simple axeplay in dwarf mode, adventure mode, arena mode, inflicted upon yourself, your citizens, or others--doesn't matter.  Show off some examples of your best DF depravity :D

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Grisliest Combat Logs!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:26:20 pm »

You don't even want to know.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:30:45 pm »

What about that year long battle between a cavern dweller and a forgotten beast? That should be interesting to send your friend.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:35:10 pm »

I don't think there were any combat logs posted, but I'd link to this thread (and that post in particular) for some amusing accounts of what sort of combat is possible in DF.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:43:43 pm »

Give me a while so I can Set up some stuff. Any particular desires? I could have them torn apart by dogs, killed arena-style by dwarves, et cetera. hsmmers, swords,  what? Does he want 30 pages of someone beating someone else to death with a chair? Should I have them eaten by pond grabbers? Seriously, any particular desires? I default to death by armed dwarves if no input.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:03:29 pm »

One word. Meatgod.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 10:54:00 pm »

One word. Meatgod.

What I was thinking.

But, TC, you don't want to introduce your friend to that. It's incredibly off-putting, and that's why we don't talk about it.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 06:28:50 am »

Give me a while so I can Set up some stuff. Any particular desires? I could have them torn apart by dogs, killed arena-style by dwarves, et cetera. hsmmers, swords,  what? Does he want 30 pages of someone beating someone else to death with a chair? Should I have them eaten by pond grabbers? Seriously, any particular desires? I default to death by armed dwarves if no input.

I'm interested in something incredible that showcases DF's splatitude.  Since brevity is the heart of wit, maybe encounters that are shorter but more violent, just so that we get to the punchline (or punched spleen, shattering the skull and tearing the brain, etc.) more quickly.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 06:52:25 am »

You'll probably want a water throw instakill.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 02:17:23 pm »

So, just read up on Meatgod. Not really sure what to say about that.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 05:55:48 pm »

I dont think you should. Meatgod's story isnt a good intro to dwarf fortress...
I may look like a sissy but I have really been unsettled... I read through all of it and it left me deeply shocked (and I have no problem with mermaid farming or dwarven child care).
Even thinking about it with some hindsight send shivers down my spine. Seriously, if asked I would advise against using it.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 06:15:48 pm »

I could probably help. I just took on some bandits in adventure mode, do you want the actual logs, a description of what happened or screenshots? :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

DrunkenCaveOgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 07:19:56 pm »

Once I ripped the toe off a dwarven child and tore his eyelids off with it. Not grisly but I thought it was funny

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 07:34:13 pm »

So this was my new, dwarven adventurer's first taste of combat. I marched into the camp, took down a couple of low-level bandits with cautious tactics, giving ground and stabbing when I saw an opportunity.
Then I ran towards the leader. We traded blows for a while, parrying and jumping away and such, then:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After I cut off his left arm, he was actually trying to run away... Not exactly grisly, but it shows the combat quite well!
I'll post more. I'm having fun, now.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 07:43:06 pm »

I dont think you should. Meatgod's story isnt a good intro to dwarf fortress...
I may look like a sissy but I have really been unsettled... I read through all of it and it left me deeply shocked (and I have no problem with mermaid farming or dwarven child care).
Even thinking about it with some hindsight send shivers down my spine. Seriously, if asked I would advise against using it.
Well, storytelling  is a important aspect. If people had been less focused on the buisness aspect of things, they might have felt bad about committing merperson genocide on an industrial scale, and specifically slaughtering children force-bred by players to maximize profits.

Frankly, one wonders where anyone will draw the line, and the places where we do seem rather odd to none-overseers

On a completly different note, I guess this rules out death-by dogs, Would a page of a goblin falling on a weapon trap suffice?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5