Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground lake well  (Read 586 times)

EvanGrudgeBeard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Underground lake well
« on: July 13, 2012, 06:10:58 pm »

I've found a huge underground lake/pool how on earth do I clear it from mud to make a well??

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Underground lake well
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 06:16:03 pm »

Just find a 2-level deep part of it and put the well over it.

EvanGrudgeBeard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 06:18:51 pm »

thanks for the reply. Keeps saying it's laced with mud :|

EvanGrudgeBeard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 06:56:02 pm »

haha!!!! you can assign a well as a water source as an activity zone!?!! No wonder they wouldn't drink :P oh geez :S

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 07:03:24 pm »

This is my favourite type of water-source, and I've actually never noticed the lacing of mud...  Not saying it's not there, of course.

Given that the booze industry is primary producer of imbibable liquids, and I'm far too micromanagey and hostile-prepped in my architecture to get too many inadvertent injuries (although still outright deaths), I may just not need water so much, of course.  (What else is it used for?)

Still, at times I get the booze production wrong (or haven't started yet) and they must be drinking that horrible "alcohol-free alcohol" that is hydroxynullane[1].  Are you getting problems with the muddy waters, or do I need to find out why I'm not?

(May have been ninjaed, or made irrelevent, with your "activity zone" post.)

[1] Dwarven scientists would no doubt be able to prove that this is almost certainly even more toxic than hydroxymethane is, if taken internally instead of the usual hydroxyethane-based component of their favourite liquors...

[1]H-OH,

EvanGrudgeBeard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:16:23 pm »

well i agree with you there! Booze is number one. But I have 2 wells built in the method that was first suggested (over-top of the lake) and in my stocks screen under liquid it says "none") How do I even know if they're drinking from the wells or not?

Basically all I need well water for is if I run outta booze and to clean wounds that's about it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 07:28:55 pm »

How do I even know if they're drinking from the wells or not?
Well, one way is to not get anyone dying of thirst, even without any booze stocks at hand, and sealing them off from all other water sources.

To be honest, now I come to think of it, I'm not sure how I'd know.  Unless I happened to be monitoring the well-head, tracking the buckets being lowered and raised and the dwarves taking the water into their own (loose) buckets and then obviously helping out a patient/captive, or else just drinking it themselves on the spot.

I feel like I need a refresher, and I may have to mess about with my current fort to find out exactly what the circumstances are...

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 07:48:08 pm »

The easiest way to get clean water from a cave lake, is by channelling out a new tile on the lake edge. When water flows into a freshly-dug out tile, it doesn't bring mud with it. So the newly dug out tiles will contain clean water.

By the way, wells are intrinsically water sources. A water source zone does not care about the presence or absence of a well, it simply tells dwarves to scoop up water directly from that tile. The presence of a well does not stop dwarves doing this, they take water directly from the tile, 'around' the well, rather than using the well itself. In fact a well built on top of water does precious little other than mitigate the unhappy thought for dwarves who drink from the well. Dwarves who drink directly from the tile still get the unhappy thought (and thirsty dwarves will do this while the well is being hogged by another dwarf), and dwarves who are getting buckets of water for hospital use or pond zones, do not suffer unhappy thoughts about the lack of a well at all.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.