Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 7: Saving Lives of Rats and Renegades  (Read 20730 times)

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 7: Saving Lives of Rats and Renegades
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2012, 04:56:51 pm »

I chose red text, because...My color was red?

Murkal will spill everything. EVERYTHING. Tell them that the lady said something about a "Portal", "Demons" and "Stones of Power". He'll then spread the word around the town! The demons are coming! Prepare the defenses!

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2012, 05:24:00 pm »

((@dermonster: Alright, so we've agreed that the pansy in question is, in fact, not someone who can't take his booze but a bloodless corpse with two holes in his carotid artery. Just so long as we're using the same terms.
Your idea still has a fair chance of working, mind you: the part about the 'pansy' was the only one that gave me pause.

@Caerwyn: Which is something I have asked you not to do, if I am not mistaken. Colors are a necessary evil used in dialogue, black is used for everything else. Your color is stated in your sheet, so I am in no danger of forgetting it.
Yeah, I've got an issue with an overabundance of colors. I probably won't kill people for coloring their actions - no promises, though - but I retain the right to color parts and/or the whole of their turn if they do.))
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:25:58 pm by HmH »

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2012, 06:17:22 pm »

Oh, well, I won't do it anymore, sorry about that man!

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2012, 06:27:15 pm »

"Le'me help you with that guy.
Help Derm heal. Flirt with some of the barmaids.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2012, 08:24:48 pm »

"Sure!" Vira responded. "I'd love to be more useful in battle."

Accept soul link and delicious knowledge.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2012, 08:47:59 pm »

Del wavered between a smile and a frown.

Forgot the spell did you?

An honest mistake.

Truly...

...it was over now, unless they fled and evaded detection and identification completely-they would come. Either the authorities, or Lady Ravens allies seeking to quiet her. So, his duty was to Lady Raven, still...for now. Her pain sent a shock though him, ghostly and physical. Even beyond the magic which twisted his mind, his natural inclination was to help-and his feet took him rapidly toward her.

He was still fool enough to want to save her. She had shackled him with magic, yes...but she was shackled herself. He had approached her that night, because of what he saw in her eyes. It mirrored much his own. A deep, all encompassing loneliness. A need to be loved, not because of ones flaws, but in despite of them. She used magic to obtain that-all in the guise of seeking power-and so she would burn the world in her grief, if she could...

And that was as much a tragedy as he could bear.

Action: Go down and see whats up with Lady Raven!

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 08, 2012, 11:05:02 am »

"Right. One of you go for the dwarf and the other go for the unconscious guy. I'll check out bitey."

Investigate apparent vampire victim. Attempt to invent "Get the fuck up you pansy" spell.
A closer look reveals that the pale person has, indeed, died from a vampire's bite. His body is still very warm; he couldn't have died more than ten minutes ago. There is blood on the corpse's lips, almost as if he bit the attacker while defending; peeking into his mouth, you see blood on his tongue, slivers of flesh stuck between his teeth... and four enormously long canines.

[General Knowledge - Vampiric Anatomy: 4] The lucky bastard must have managed to turn himself by drinking the other vampire's blood, which means he couldn't have died from being drained. Usually, when vampires are too exsanguinated or starved for their biochemical processes to work, they fall into a magical coma until they can smell fresh blood - which, due to the fact they aren't breathing, is a challenge of its own. While you're sure you can draw blood in order to wake the vampire, you're pretty sure he'll be useless to you after he drains someone dead in full view of everyone and then gets staked through the heart.

[Spellcrafting, Lv2: 1] You believe that, due to the vampire's current lack of blood, even turbo-boosting his adrenaline production will not wake him up. Hence, most usual wake-from-coma spells from your repertoire of biochemical Flesh magic would be completely pointless when applied to this situation. The only way to get the vampire awake and moving would have to do something with blood.

"Le'me help you with that guy."
Help Derm heal. Flirt with some of the barmaids.
[Spellcrafting, Lv1: 4] You develop a much simpler solution to Derm's problem: just turn all the food already in the vampire's digestive tract into blood. That way, he'll wake up satisfied enough to listen to reason.
[Spellcasting, Lv1: 2] Your execution of this idea is less than elegant, however. A small amount of blood spurts from the holes in the vampire's neck, but that's about it.

[Flirt: 4] You flirt with one of the barmaid-prostitutes, a blonde half-elven girl about as tall as you, and she smiles at you sweetly.
Maidstitute: "Sounds good, sugar! Money up front, though - house rules. I'd normally take 30 pieces, but I think I'll halve the price for you, sweetie."

"I've got the un-concious guy."
Drag the un-concious man out, mug him, and use water magic to drop some water on him.
[Mug: 3] You drag the noble out of the bar and rifle through his pockets. Anything of value has already been taken from him; the only thing you've found is a tarnished bronze medallion with a photo of some woman embedded in it.

[Spellcasting, Lv0: 4] Now that you know there's nothing valuable in the man's pockets, it's time to wake him up. You take a tiny amount of water out of the nearest puddle left after the rain, and throw it into the guy's face with as much velocity as your magical skill can muster.
[Awaken: 3] Which isn't much, but it seems to show results: the man slips out of his dream, looks at you with glassy eyes, then burps and goes back to sleep.
Alas, it seems like you'll need bigger artillery to take this guy out of Morpheus's lap.

I chose red text, because...My color was red?

Murkal will spill everything. EVERYTHING. Tell them that the lady said something about a "Portal", "Demons" and "Stones of Power". He'll then spread the word around the town! The demons are coming! Prepare the defenses!
[Raven vs. Murkal: 2 vs. 4] You decide to mix in the Big Lie to make your theories more believable. As you ramble on, your tale becomes a convoluted mess of demons, ghosts, tentacles and Atlanthean artifacts, and soon the only piece of truth in all this is the location everything has happened: the sealed-up tavern.
[Taken Seriously?: 6, 4] Everyone in the Guild, now counting over a dozen people in total, has gathered around you. Most of them look pretty eager to crush some skulls. As your story brings to a close, the oldest one points at the door and gives a rallying shout:
Old Fighter: "Well, what are we waiting for? We know where the villains are holed up. Move out!"
The crowd - or rather, an angry mob - of armored men takes off at a sprint, with the old man leading the charge. You now stand alone in the empty halls of the Fighter's Guild; there might be some things of value here.

Action: Go down and see whats up with Lady Raven!
You run down the stairs and hurry to where the scream came from. The scene that you see there is... normal. Even disappointingly normal. If you didn't know better, you wouldn't even know Raven was in pain: she, once again with no tentacles getting in her way, was slowly ascending the stairwall.
Raven: "Here you are, Songbird. Tried to fix the... miscast... with some intuitive flesh-warping. Shouldn't have even tried. I'm afraid I'll need you to help me walk back after we're done here."
You open your mouth to tell her that the drunkard escaped, but she sees what's on your mind and shushes you:
Raven: "Don't worry about that one. His theories on my nature are too wild to believe, Songbird... and even if his ramblings do convince anyone, we'll have plenty of time to do our job and get out. As for your unspoken concerns... no one is going to 'silence' me. Our organization's sole goal is to make the world better, more open and less prejudiced; murdering each other to keep a secret is not our way."
You put Raven's hand over your shoulder... and feel that ghostly pain again; it feels as if something is trying to tear you apart, but keeps failing miserably. You flinch, and Raven nods as she releases another wisp to scour the floors:
Raven: "Are you feeling it, too? That's the tentacles trying to get free. I managed to put them back where they belong, but couldn't re-assimilate them with my flesh... as you can clearly feel right now. We share a special link, dear Songbird, and I'm afraid we'll have to share the pain as well."
She leans against a wall and starts weaving some complicated spell, slowly but surely changing the details of the crime scene: some of the wisp silhouettes lose their flasks, some change into different forms, some are moved to hide the violent nature of their death. That goes on for quite some time, and then a knock comes from the front door.

Mob Leader: "Shit, the Guard has sealed the doors. Spread out and find a way in! Trash the place if you need to, but find them!"
Raven curses under her breath, taps you on the shoulder and points in the direction of the basement. Her voice in your mind tells you to keep silent, and get to the tunnel entrance.
[Avoid the Mob: 3] Surrounded by sounds of the mob trying to knock down the guardsmen's seals and climb the walls, you reach the entrance. Raven gets ready to close it behind you, but a young man in chainmail, wielding a torch and a sword, jumps into the tunnel:
Rookie: "Hey, I found two people, a girl and- what the hell?"
With a movement of Raven's hand and a mutter of her voice, the tunnel's entrance becomes a solid wall just behind the warrior's back. A ghostly voice rings through your head once again, its tone unusually cold:
Raven: "The beggar didn't waste any time rallying people, I see. I have faith that you will protect me; I'll make sure none of his ilk find the tunnel when they come searching for him."
She staggers a fair distance behind you, her hands tracing some runes in the air. Meanwhile, the young man starts moving towards you, his posture changing as if he's about to lunge at you:
Rookie: "So that's how you always get away... secret passages, huh? The Order will pay me a fortune for this knowledge... but, alas, now you're in the way of my money. Prepare to die, you renegade scum!"

Spoiler: Enemy (click to show/hide)

((Decided to give Dwarmin a small(3-4 miniturns, most likely) combat session so that he can see if his character needs some fine-tuning in that department.))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 08, 2012, 11:09:38 am »

"Let me try that."

Impliment Spinals solution myself. If it works, we've basically solved the entire vampire problem forever.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 08, 2012, 11:54:05 am »

"Let me try that."

Impliment Spinals solution myself. If it works, we've basically solved the entire vampire problem forever.
((Not really; Food-to-Blood is quite a popular spell with the City's paler inhabitants. Vampires with enough magical talent and/or money to get artificial blood tend to rely on it as their main source of sustenance.

A few pieces of vampire lore I think you'd like to know:
1) Being a vampire has been legalized around four hundred years before the start of the game due to pressure from the City's immortality-seeking nobles; biting people, however, has not.
2) Vampirism is, despite being popularly perceived as an infectious, although particularly cool disease, magical in nature. It, like lycanthropy and other magical afflictions, can be 'cured' by exposure to dragonbane; however, the 'cured' person's body remains as lifeless as it was during the vampirehood, and needs to be forcibly restarted with Flesh magic before any brain damage occurs.
3) The City's vampire population is strictly monitored, and new converts are expected to report to the Guard for registration. Remaining unregistered as a vampire is considered a crime on par with spreading an infectious disease; the punishment is death by fire.))
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:56:45 am by HmH »

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 08, 2012, 11:57:55 am »

"Time to bring out the big guns."
Slap time!
((Wait, if biting is illegal, how do vampires spread the disease to people who want it, also are vampires weak to anything?))
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 08, 2012, 12:10:31 pm »

"I regret it's come to this."

Del didn't need much mental goading from Lady Raven-though he sensed she was prepared for that. The man clearly intended to cut them both down, and a moments hesitation fighting her control would be his death. A part of Del knew it was also wrong to kill him...but what choice did he have?

Del needed to keep him from charging, first. If he recall his spike producing magic...

Action: Play Sonata of Spikes-making a thorny rock barrier erupt from the walls between the swordsman and myself, or even better, on him, impaling or trapping.

((@HmH: Thanks for fast tracking the battle, btw. If we did it under normal circumstances I'd never get it done in time before 'vacation'.))
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:12:20 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 08, 2012, 12:22:38 pm »

Murkal's going to start

LOOOTING!!!

This went for the better, didn't it. Heheh. Eheheheheh.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 08, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »

((Wait, if biting is illegal, how do vampires spread the disease to people who want it, also are vampires weak to anything?))
((@anailater: The same way as they do in DF: drinking or eating a part of a vampire makes you a vampire. And yes, this did lead to a few unpleasant situations with wells.

The bodies of vampires are effectively dead, and the only reason they are not rotting wrecks is because the curse constantly restores their bodies and maintains the bodily functions necessary for the brain to work. That, in turn, requires power, which the curse draws from blood in a process not yet understood by the researchers.
When vampires have no blood in their digestive tracts, they start expending the blood in their veins; vampires with no blood left are forced to rest for long periods of time so that their curse may 'recharge' by draining ambient magic.

On a side note, vampire souls and bodies, just like those of other undead, are extremely susceptible to magical influence. Due to this, many a necromancer has found it easy to subdue and control a vampire without deviating from their usual arsenal of spells.

@Dwarmin: 'Vacation'? What 'vacation'?))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 08, 2012, 12:29:12 pm »

((@Dwarmin: 'Vacation'? What 'vacation'?))
((He'll be busy.))

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 08, 2012, 12:55:29 pm »

Action: Play Sonata of Spikes-making a thorny rock barrier erupt from the walls between the swordsman and myself, or even better, on him, impaling or trapping.
[Spellcrafting, Lv2: 6, 4] [Del, Stone Lv2: 5] [Del, Fiddle Lv1: 4] You execute the Sonata perfectly, and thin sharp spikes start protruding out of the walls in the swordsman's general area.
[Rookie, Roll Against Getting Impaled Lv1: 3] Your enemy steps back and most of the spikes miss him; what few of them did connect could not pierce his chainmail, and so he is left with little more than a couple of scrapes.

Wall of Spikes: 20/20 HP
Rookie: Lv1 Wound inflicted, 40/50 HP left.
Del: Sonata of Spikes added!
Del: +1 Lv3 Earth success.

[Rookie, Sword Lv2: 2, Offhand Lv1: 4-1] The swordsman is not discouraged by the new obstacle, and starts breaking the spikes, using his torch for leverage.

Wall of Spikes: Lv1 Wound inflicted, 10/20 HP left.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 02:50:39 pm by HmH »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16