Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 7: Saving Lives of Rats and Renegades  (Read 20804 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 5: Crimes Against Nature
« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2012, 08:02:10 am »

[Turn 5: Crimes Against Nature]

Take another look at the book. Go enquire if we can check out some books.

[Spellcrafting Lv2: 6; 5][Components S/V/F: 6;4, 4, 2] Leafing through the Appendix C, "For Advanced Users", you find an exceptionally nasty slow-combustion spell that doesn't explode its targets, but rather conflagrates them. The slower combustion rate allows it to work for longer periods of time, which means that it can take off entire chunks of flesh at a time. Unfortunately, the spell takes a very skilled mage to cast it and is virtually useless to you on your current level of magical mastery.

[Check Out Books: 1] The librarian, an intimidating-looking old hag with glasses as thick as shields and words as sharp as daggers, is in particularly bad mood because of some good-for-nothing knocking over one potted cactus and making off with another while she wasn't looking.
She, suspecting that it was a distraction forestalling the theft of some valuable book, informs you that she has engaged a quarantine protocol - which means that everyone has to be searched before they leave, and all possessions of the Library are confiscated immediately.
The librarian then proves her point by saying "Oh, I didn't realize you were just leaving! Go on, then - shoo, shoo!" out loud, shoving you into the guards near the exit door and returning to her desk with a cackle.

The guards, heading none of your protests, search you, take away the Fire spellbook and the book on lairs, and shove you outside the door.
After walking around the corner, you notice Derm to your right, an empty pot standing before him and some weird green-ish cactus-ish cat rubbing itself against the flaps of his robe.
Slightly farther away, behind him, Bruce is looking intensely at heap of refuse. On a... moving heap of refuse. Which seems to be tearing a dog's corpse into pieces.

Spoiler: Spinal_Taper/Mehrik (click to show/hide)

Derm pauses, and weighs the options in his head. In a rare flash of common sense directed in the completely wrong direction, he realizes he shouldn't really be casting inside a library.

Go find a Designated Spell Testing area, stand a distance away, and preform MAGIC!

[Designated Spell Testing Area: 2] You have no idea where a wizard can perform some dangerous magic, but you figure that doing it out in the street should be all right.
[Spellcasting Lv2: 6; 4] [Luck: 5] You impale the cat on the cactus's needles, put them on the ground and take three steps away, like the R.M. has instructed. You then magically join the 'chromosomal essences' of the creatures into one and pour a huge amount of flesh-warping energy through them to accelerate the changes. You can almost hear the thunder of lightning in your mind as the SCIENCE commences!
When you stop casting and take a look at what you have done, you see an... abominable, yet somewhat cute creature sitting in the pot, purring as it looks at you with its adorable green eyes. [Hedgecat's Best Judgement: 1] The green cat, spikes covering its hide where its fur should have been, jumps down from the pot and tries to rub against your legs; that would hurt if your thick Robes of Swag didn't stop it in its tracks.

It takes you some time to realize this after your shocking success, but R.M.'s theory has been confirmed: the merging of chromosomal essences results in the merging of bodies, and therefore, genes are blueprints! He truly is a genius!

Gained Familiar: Hedgecat.

Spoiler: dermonster/Derm (click to show/hide)

Del nods. He hoped this newcomer did not compete for the Ladies affections...

Action: Continue the Search for that last bottle.

[Looting: 2] You search for the third bottle, but Raven tells you to stop before you can make any progress.
Raven: "The looter has found the third bottle. He's trying to leave now. Won't work, not without talking to us first."
[Raven, Soul Lv3: 3] Raven's face tightens up and you hear word in your mind: not addressed to you, but rather, to somebody else. Even so, they are brimming with some kind of otherworldly power, as if they came from a god itself, and you can't help but believe what they say.
Raven: "You can't leave here alone."

The intruder approaches the stairs upwards, then freezes in his tracks for a second and turns around. Raven walks up to him, offering a hand:
Raven: "Forgot the way out, friend? Don't be so hasty to leave the way you came. I can lead you out... but it will be a different path than the one you walked before: the path of adventure, of power, the path that will let you change the world. Want to hear more?"

Spoiler: Dwarmin/Del Vundi (click to show/hide)

"You shall pay, villain!"

Ardimis takes his cape, rolls it into a ball, and uses it for fireball material. He launches the fireball at the nefarious Water Mage.

[Ardimis, Fire Lv2: 6; 1] vs. [Cohen, Water Lv1: 2+1] You gather up plasma quite well, but the scenario repeats: your fireball explodes when a small water pellet hits the contanment field. [Victims: 2] [Ardimis: 2] Both the kidnappees and you fail to extinguish the fires.
[Roll against Wounds, Lv2: 4] Despite being sheathed in even more flames than before, you somehow manage to avoid burning.

Spoiler: Orb/Ardimis Maximus (click to show/hide)

Follow Derm, there has to be a spell faculity somewhere, And practice BURNING WHIPLASH (patent pending)

"Find anything good in the books?"

[Designated Spell Testing Area: 1] You, just like Derm, fail to find anyplace fitting for testing your spells: there simply aren't all that many free-of-charge firing ranges in the Arcane District. You do, however, find a nest of giant rats in a trash heap in an alley nearby: there are at least four of the huge grey beasts, each the size of your arm, their oily fur unkempt and covered in fresh blood from a dead dog they just caught and dragged in here. Did I mention they have those long, sharp, yellow teeth that can bite through boiled leather? No, I probably didn't.

[Spellcasting, Lv2: 6; 2] You try to explode one and come close, but the spell fizzles for no comprehensible reason. You are forced to conclude that this heavy, pulsing feeling in your head really does interfere with intellectual endeavors.
[Agressiveness: 2] The rats keep feasting on the dog. They don't seem to realize that you just tried to burn them.

[Treasure, Lv1: 6; 4] You notice something lying in the trash heap - an iron rod with a shiny cyan gem embedded into its round top. [Lore: 3] You think that cyan gems are a focus for air, and iron is traditionally considered a lightning-y material. Maybe this is a focus for lightning magic?

Murkal will leave in distaste, and head to an inn for some strong spirits.

Before leaving, you open the bottle of Aqua Vitae and pour a small amount of it over the burn; high-proof booze, according to your mentor, was one of the best remedies for burns that he knew. [Regeneration: 5] Turns out, your mentor was right: the redness on your hand subsedes and after a while you can feel your fingers again.

[Looting: 3][Leaving: 6; 3] Not yet satisfied with how your last attempt to search for the Reedflow turned out and still compelled to search for it, you look around and notice a bottle of brown liquid with a piece of cloth wrapped around it. You can't read what's written on the wrap, but you somehow know that this is the Reedflow; you take the bottle and head to the exit.

Or, at least, you think you do. One moment, you're almost at the stairway...
...and the other, you are facing a strange couple: a green-clad bard and some lady, clearly of noble birth, dressed in fine silk clothing. Neither of them looks much older than you.
Mysterious Lady: "Forgot the way out, friend? Don't be so hasty to leave the way you came. I can lead you out... but it will be a different path than the one you walked before: the path of adventure, of power, the path that will let you change the world. Want to hear more?"

Spoiler: Caerwyn/Murkal (click to show/hide)

Stone Shape the floor/any nearby stone around the Water Mage and, while he's held by the stone, NERD SMASH!

((Alright, a moderately strong Stone Shaping and one NERD SMASH coming up- waaaaait a minute. Only one action per turn allowed; that's them rules.))

[Nathair, Earth Lv2: 3-2] vs. [Cohen, Water Lv1: 1+1] A maddening bout of itch in the middle of a spell messes with your aim, and you cause the ground to bulge harmlessly a few feet away from him.

[Listen: 6; 6; 6; 3] You think you hear something... slither... in the doorway behind you. That sound doesn't belong to any creature in the world; therefore, it must be a magical construct of some sort. The slithering is very silent, and you're sure nobody but you has heard it.

Oh, and there's the issue of your fellow Graduate setting himself and the kidnapper's captives on fire. They'll probably need some help - and a bit of water - extinguishing themselves.
You look around and notice that the only source of water in here is the cauldron; the water from it will need to be cooled before you try to extinguish anyone.

Try that again on the non-flaming mage!

[Vira, Flesh Lv1: 5] This time, you succeed exceptionally well. Your target yelps and twists around like a pretzel when the spell hits him, and whatever magic he was doing misfired harmlessly, resulting only in a lump of stone protruding out of the floor next to you.

[Perception: 2] You notice some slight movement in the doorway, but then a huge ball of boiling water hits you in the face and you kinda get distracted.
Cohen: "Damn it! Sorry, Vira, my aim was thrown off. Have a potion!"
[Healing Potion Lv1: 6; 4] You feel a small glass bottle being pressed into your hand, and down it in one gulp. Your face stops burning and buzzing like a beehive, and you think you can see again. The steam still hurt like hell, though.

Spoiler: IronyOwl/Vira (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Burly
Lv3 Axe attack on the enemy mage!
[Burly, Lv3 Axe: 1+2] vs. [Cohen, Lv1 Water: 6+1; 1] The giant warrior's swing throws the villain off balance, causing his attempt at counterattacking, a huge bullet brimming with boiling water, to hit the witch next to him. The witch seems to be displeased with her face melting off.

[Flesh Golem, Lv2 Grappling: 2] A cluster of black scaly tendrils shoots out of the dark passage at the warrior. Fortunately for him, it misses and hits the wall; tendrils fall to the floor and flail around, searching for anything else to grab.

Spoiler: Burly (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Cohen
Fend off the initial attacks with Lv1 Water Bullets. Take control of the flesh golem.

[Burly, Lv3 Axe: 1+2] vs. [Cohen, Lv1 Water: 6+1; 1] After you sabotage the fire mage's spellcasting and Vira's spell succesfully prevents the earth mage from... doing whatever it was he was doing, the warrior charges in. Your attempt to counter his attack fails miserably, and the huge bullet of boiling water you've saved up for him lands in your newest recruit's face instead.

[Healing Potion Lv3: 2] You apologize to Vira and give her a potion to heal the burns; unfortunately, your wound - now one on your hip - prevents you from reaching the other potion, the potent one in your pocket.

[Lanky's Resistance: 2] You remember one more resource you haven't used yet: the rogue you attempted you sicced Morul's wisp onto even before the battle began. Morul's brain-warping enchantments have done their job perfectly: the rogue's mind, once showing surprising resilience and speed of thinking, is now as soft and pliant as clay. Its hands have become clusters of black, scaled tendrils with hooks on their ends - perfect for preventing people from, oh, closing in on you and shoving an axe into your hip - and you faintly remember Morul saying something about its tongue being elongated and covered with some kind of carbon emery.
The best part about your new flesh golem is, you don't even need to order the creature around - it just does whatever it is told. That said, it has grown blind and dumb in the process, but who needs fast thinking with a body like that?
Cohen: "Golem, pin down the big man."

Spoiler: Cohen (click to show/hide)

NOTE: Not dead, not dead! University life turns out to be more intense than I thought. Only resumed the whole turn-writing thingy today.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2012, 10:29:03 am »

Nope.

Murkal will then continue his saunter. If the man woman BOTH get(s) in his way, toss the bottle of "Reed-flow" on him, and zap him with some electricity.

Very nice to have you back, friend! What a delicious, plump post you have there, my dear. Surely there are more to come?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:31:14 am by Caerwyn »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2012, 10:37:40 am »

Del was patient. Things could change here...

But he didn't want Raven to be hurt if they didn't. There was some part of him-not even being controlled-that didn't want that to happen. Maybe it was hope. Hope she could be...that they could be...once he was free...

Action: Prepare to defend Lady Raven if the deal goes sour. Concentrate on countering all attacks against her or myself.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2012, 10:40:07 am »

Derm walked up to Bruce. "Yo," he said. "I made a cat and a plant love each other. When are we doing that other thing?"
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2012, 10:44:39 am »

"Tonight i suppose, seems fitting..... Want to get a drink?"
Grab the staff and head to the pub!
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2012, 10:46:04 am »

"Sure. Turns out genes are totally blueprints, ya know?"

Read next chapter on the way to the pub.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2012, 11:21:02 am »

Use flesh magic to make the cats needles retractable! Take it with us!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2012, 11:22:06 am »

... You're stealing my cat?

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2012, 11:37:32 am »

Love-triangle!

I'm getting some soda, popcorn and somebody to hold me while I cry at the epic finale.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2012, 11:53:05 am »

Nope.

Murkal will then continue his saunter. If the man woman BOTH get(s) in his way, toss the bottle of "Reed-flow" on him, and zap him with some electricity.

Very nice to have you back, friend! What a delicious, plump post you have there, my dear. Surely there are more to come?
((No promises, as always, but I must say there is no reason for me to stop writing just when I finally find myself in need of a hobby.))

Without saying a word, you turn your back to the pair and make a...
...step towards the woman.
Wait, what?
Puzzled, you turn around once again and prepare to climb the-..
...your foot, ready to lift you up a step, lands onto the floor with a thump, and you find yourself looking into the air a few inches above the woman's head. She shrugs with an amused look:
Mysterious Lady: "Or, if you're the boring 'steal-some-booze-get-caught-go-to-jail' type, I could show you the path back to your former ways. One thing's for certain, though: you're at the crossroads, and I'm your only way out. Now, what will it be?"

"Tonight i suppose, seems fitting..... Want to get a drink?"
Grab the staff and head to the pub!
[Grab ye Staff: 1] The staff is currently unavailable: it's lodged in a pile of abnormally big, predatory rodents who don't take lightly to some human stealing THEIR shinies.
[Rat Group, Lv0 Bite: 5, 2, 5, 2] Two of them latch onto your hand, puncturing the flesh with disturbing ease, and start trying to drag you deeper into the pile. Fortunately, a mere two giant rats aren't strong enough to drag people around like ragdolls. If the other two join in, though...

Wrestling with Rodents of Unusual Size
Status Add: Lv2 Bite Wound

Spoiler: Giant Rats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:05:24 pm by HmH »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2012, 12:04:37 pm »

Del shakes his head, a lack of respect-if not outright jealousy-echoing in his words. He didn't want to share...

"...He's just a meandering drunk, my Lady-I could have taken him earlier without much a problem. What use can he be to...us?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2012, 12:09:15 pm »

((Didn't look like we were taking it with. I just made sure.))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2012, 12:10:08 pm »

It's my familiar/pet thing. It follows me automatically.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2012, 12:24:14 pm »

Del shakes his head, a lack of respect-if not outright jealousy-echoing in his words. He didn't want to share...

"...He's just a meandering drunk, my Lady-I could have taken him earlier without much a problem. What use can he be to...us?"
Raven looks at you with a smile and a twinkle in her eyes, and you hear her voice in your mind:
Raven: "Awww, do I sense jealousy? It's sweet of you to fight for me, dear Songbird, but believe me: no man has yet been born that would take your place in my heart."
Raven: "And regarding the 'use' we'd have for this fellow... you haven't seen it because you haven't looked into his mind. In it dwells such will to change the world, such greed for power, that I believe him too dangerous to be left to his own devices. As for 'taking' him... leaving fresh bloodstains at a crime scene will attract attention, yes? So let me deal with this. I'll make sure that if he does die, he at the very least dies someplace less... notorious."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2012, 12:25:52 pm »

Del nods and smiles blankly, utterly placated by her words.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16