Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 7: Saving Lives of Rats and Renegades  (Read 20777 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 4: Wizard's Spa
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2012, 11:36:56 am »

[Turn 4: Wizard's Spa]

"Nope."
Mehrik checks out the book on lairs, if that's allowed, and goes in search of a book about fire magic.

[Book: 5] You see a grimoire your mentor liked to recommend for your reading. You never got to it, but today is a good day to start.
[Spellcrafting, Lv2: 1] You fail to find any new spells in the book.
[Fiery Lash Somatic: 4, Verbal: 4, Focus: 3] You do, however, find a detailed discussion of the Fiery Lash, with annotations and commentaries regarding the various ways to cast it. You learn quite a few things: for example, how cutting your hand with your fingernails makes the Lash all the more destructive, and that saying 'Flay!' makes the casting a little easier. You're pretty sure that any pain will do as long as you concentrate on it the right way, though.

Spoiler: Spinal_Taper/Mehrik (click to show/hide)

Nod my thanks to Ardimis for helping me. Then Stone Shape myself some form of primitive weapon, probably a club, then cast DUCK SKIN on myself and engage the water mage!

NO WATER SHALL HARM ME THIS DAY!

[Stone Shape Lv2: 5] You form a section of the floor into a huge stone club and lift it to your shoulder. It's not really wieldy, and not really stylish, but if you hit someone with it, you're definitely going to break bones.
[Duck Skin Lv1: 4] The spell's protective layer isn't going to do miracles, but water will glance away before any serious scalding occurs.

[Nathair, Club Lv0: 1] vs. [Cohen, Water Lv1: 2+1] You try to knock the mage off his feet, but can't reach him in time. He gestures at you, snaps his fingers and says 'Terelak!'. A globe of steaming water raises from the cauldron and slams into the floor beneath you, showering you with scalding water.
Fortunately, your Duck Skin works quite well, and you don't suffer any significant damage; unfortunately, the steam still hurts a lot, and you slam into Burly just as he is about to strike at the mage.

Quote from: Burly
Cut that mage into pieces!
[Burly, Axe Lv2: 5+2-1; 6; 4] vs. [Cohen, Water Lv1: 4+1] [Lv4 - Lv2: Wound Lv2] Burly charges at his enemy with an angry roar, slapping an orb of boiling water out of the air and shoving the stumbling Nathair out of his way. His strike throws the enemy mage against the wall, a deep cut showing across the mage's ribs.

[Cohen, Water Lv3: 4] [Lv3 + Wound Lv1 - Armor Lv1: Wound Lv3] Burly's stike doesn't seem to slow the mage down: he raises his hand, clenches it into a fist with a thumb covering the index finger, and mutters something quickly. A huge jet of steam blasts out of the cauldron, striking at Burly and covering Nathair in a thin layer of water. Burly, caught off guard, screams and backs away from the jet, stopping only when his back hits the wall.

[Healing Potion Lv2: Autosuccess] [Natural Regeneration Lv0: 4] The moment the steam's onslaught stops, Burly takes a blood-red potion off his belt and downs it in a gulp; his face and hands, boiled red with huge pieces of skin missing, are restored to their normal state in mere seconds.

Spoiler: Burly (click to show/hide)

"Right then! Skadoosh!"

waggle fingers, get self clean. If time permits, browse through chapter one of 'RM's guide to fucking with biology. Not literally. Okay maybe a bit literally.': So you want to pull a fast one on nature.'

[Wet Cleaning Lv1: 1] You make a half-hearted attempt at casting the spell, twisting your fingers in all the right gestures and directing the arcane energies the right way even though you lack the focus. The spell draws the rainwater from the open window and throws it at one of the potted plants furiously, knocking over the pot and leaving a dirty puddle on the floor.

You try to leaf through the chapter one of your book on genetics, but get stumped on its title: "Genes Are Totally Blueprints". You could swear you heard a few reputable researchers say that genes are not blueprints... meh, whatever, maybe they're wrong. You stop staring at the title and start reading.
The chapter contains several lengthy descriptions of the R.M.'s experiments with the Polymorph spells, which, for some reason, he expected to prove his statement in the chapter's title. Looks like he wasn't on good terms with formal logic. [Common Sense: 6; 1] But the lack of formality only proves that there is logic of some higher nature behind the R.M.'s work!

[Spellcrafting: 3] You memorize R.M.'s Polymorph spell studiously, and look around for the two ingredients the spell needed. [Flora: 3] [Fauna: 5] You find and paralyze a large, young, healthy-looking library cat, but you're out of luck with plants: the pots on the Library's windows are all occupied by vines and cacti.

[Spellcasting: 2] You pick up a potted cactus and almost get to business, but one thought gives you pause: what if this will end badly? As in, tentacle-level badly?

Spoiler: dermonster/Derm (click to show/hide)

Del listened to the story with interest. Was she really so bad, then? Raven had merely been trying to escape her own arcane imprisonment...by binding him...he supposed it was reasonable, when pushed to such extremes, to take hard measures. She seemed to be free now. Somehow, he hoped Raven would in turn free him-not that he wanted to be apart from her, but...he just wanted to talk to her...

He shook his head. Wine. Yes. He had to get two more...The Figure in front of him was not likely a friend in any case. Raven would have warned him if their were allies of hers down here.

A part of him honestly didn't care-it wanted to let loose with his most powerful magic, to rend, destroy and crumble. To break free. From what? He couldn't say...

Del whipped out his fiddle and set his bow in a smooth, practiced motion-he would use a simple but useful spell, 'Earth Blast'-little more than a ball of hardened Earth shaped into being by his song, and launched at his opponent like a dirty missile. It took time and concentration, but the effects were always amusing.

Get out of my way He thought, smiling. I am Lady Raven's Knight...Her will be done.

Action: Whip out my fiddle and cast Earth Blast at the Figure.

The figure does something, and bright white light floods the basement before going back out; it's almost as if it was challenging - no, mocking - you. [Spellcrafting: 5] In your righteous anger at the flashy intruder, you put together a tune so driven it would inspire the rocks around you to stone your enemy to death. Before you can play it, however, you hear Raven's voice whispering into your ear:
Raven: "Don't do that! You may wreck the shelves. We want the Guard to remain ignorant of our little intrusion, so let me try a subtler approach first."
[Raven, Soul Lv1: 6; 5] Raven steps forward from behind you and a pair of golden wisps, in the shape of snakes, slides out of her sleeves; she whispers something and one of the 'snakes' darts in the direction of the silhouette and disappears, probably hiding in the person's clothes. The other wraps itself around her wrist, freezing on it like some glowing snake-themed bracelet.

Raven: "Let's see... nobody special, just some Graduate-turned-looter. He does know the basics of the Soul Magic, though... and he's got so much ambition, oh my - prime material for a professional law-breaker. I think you and I will need to have a word with him - later, when we're all out of here. For now, find Reedflow."
[Looting: 6;5, 2] You, compelled to search for the delicious insanity-inducing drink, start flitting around the place and soon find another bottle stashed behind a few dusty old wine casks.

Spoiler: Dwarmin/Del Vundi (click to show/hide)

Vira jolted at the sudden intrusion. She really didn't want to get stabbed, and she really didn't know any combat magic. This was a serious problem.

More than a little panicked, she decided to go with what she knew.

Flesh warp one of the mages' skin into severe, debilitating pain.

[Spellcrafting: 6; 5] You remember an old Easterner spell from your grimoire, called "Shurale's Touch". The spell causes rapid growth of extra nerve endings in the target area; they cause the victim of the spell to feel an agonizingly strong tickling sensation. While technically not pain-inducing, the spell is torturous and debilitating; the only drawback you can think of is that the magically-made nerve endings are quite fragile, and die immediately unless sustained by the caster.
[Spellcasting Lv1: 6; 2] Unfortunately, the precise formula of casting evades you even after you think about it very, very hard.
Cohen: "Hmm. Interesting spell, Vira; it's just what Morul needs to fight off the bandits. Thanks for the tip!"

Spoiler: IronyOwl/Vira (click to show/hide)

"Hmmm this could be a plan, but i would prefer to be armed first, I should increase my magical abilities". He mutters to himself.
I will meet you, guys back here soon i have to do something". He tells the others he came with.
Look for some sort of fire magic training place (Hopefully with dummies. See if i can learn a spell to use a whip of fire to go around some ones neck and both separate the head and body, and choke the entity it is being used on.

[Spellcrafting: 3+1] You make a few marginal improvements to the Lash and increase its detonation velocity in hopes of breaking the target's neck, but it still isn't strong enough to take someone's head off.

[Searching: 3] The Library doesn't really encourage its visitors to use Fire Magic, so you don't find any fire-resistant training ranges in the building. Not that you need to; you doubt your upgrades will have a noticeable difference on your current level of magical mastery.

Murkal will fashion an orb of light, just something simple utilizing his Air Magic, and have it follow him around, while he searches the tavern cellars.

Whoa. Big update, dude.

[Spellcrafting: 5] Yes, you remember a perfectly good Air spell just for this purpose. [Spellcasting Lv2: 1] You succesfully ionize the air, but the magical containment field doesn't kick in until it's too late. The newly-made plume of plasma normalizes itself with a blinding flash. [Roll Against Blinding: 3] Fortunately, you closed your eyes right before the flash, so all you have to deal with now is a bout of nausea and slight disorientation.

[Searching: 6; 1] You find a bottle of some orange-y liquid glowing in the dark, but accidentally knock it onto the stone floor when you try to reach it. The bottle breaks, and the majority of the liquid in it ends up on your coat. The liquid is causing the water on your coat to evaporate near-instantly, but doesn't seem to set it on fire or even char it - it should be somewhere around boiling temperatures, then.

[Perception: 1] You feel strangely compelled all of a sudden to find a bottle of ale labelled "Reedflow". You think you maybe heard something somewhere about how it's cursed or something, so it's gotta fetch a good price on the black market - right? And a cellar as big as this has got to have a bottle or two; what is a wine cellar without a few collector's items?
[Looting: 1] Paying no heed to how faulty your logic sounds, you start walking around the cellar, looking for the infamous brew; you don't find any, but that's solely because of your hand accidentally brushing against the orange stain on your coat. The stain burned a surprising deal, considering you have touched it for mere moments - the wound would be milder if you grabbed a hot iron instead. You can see a huge red blister beginning to swell on your palm.

Spoiler: Caerwyn/Murkal (click to show/hide)

((Update quality dropped a little, but it's still great overall))

Action! Glory! Justice!

"For imprisoning innocents, I deal out justice!"

Ardimis launches a fireball at the most immediate threat, the Water Mage

[Ardimis, Fire Lv2: 5+1; 1] vs [Cohen, Water Lv1: 2+1] A tiny globe of boiling water hits your fireball just as you're done burning up the coal, and the containment field pops open like a balloon. Like a magical, heat-containing balloon filled with incredibly hot plasma. Which doesn't take long to disappear in a wave of heat, setting your clothes on fire... as well as the clothes of everyone else who was caught in the blast - namely, the kidnapper's victims.

[Victims: 5] After a few seconds of flailing around, the prisoners seem to have fully extinguished themselves. [Ardimis: 1] Which is the opposite of what can be said about you. Good news is, you've got a good, nigh-unlimited source of flames for all your spellcasting needs now, so you drop the coal bag. Bad news is, your clothes are that source.

Spoiler: Orb/Ardimis Maximus (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Cohen
A Water Bullet for every one of the three adventurers. Level 2 Water Bullet for the first one to charge me.
Steam Jet on the big adventurer after I countered his attack.
[Nathair, Club Lv0: 1] vs. [Cohen, Water Lv2: 2+1]
[Burly, Axe Lv2: 5+2-1; 6; 4] vs. [Cohen, Water Lv1: 4+1] [Lv4 - Lv2: Wound Lv2 to Cohen]
[Ardimis, Fire Lv2: 5+1; 1] vs [Cohen, Water Lv1: 2+1]
You succesfully fend off the wizards' attacks with a bit of well-placed hot water, but the warrior ignores your attempts to stop him and carves a deep gash across your ribs with a vicious strike of his axe.

[Cohen, Water Lv3: 4] [Attack Lv3 + Spell Lv1 - Armor Lv1: Wound Lv3]
You retaliate by evaporating a portion of water in the cauldron and launching it all at the axe-wielding brute. Your attack seems to be incredibly effective, and his leather armor shows signs of heavy damage afterwards.

[Healing Potion Lv1: Autosuccess] While everyone's attention is focused on the hard-boiled warrior, you take a healing potion from your belt and down it in one gulp.

The young witch, Vira, seems to have grasped the basics of disabling her enemies... at least in theory. She did pick a good, reliable spell to work with; she's just too drunk to cast it properly. Despite her failure, you transmit the knowledge to Morul: he seems to be in dire need of a good knock-out spell right now.

[Lanky: 2] You feel that the adventurers' rogue has finally given in to your influence. Good.

Spoiler: Cohen (click to show/hide)

NOTE: Apparently, 'keep it short' is not a valid strategy for writing turns faster. Damn it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:34:40 pm by HmH »

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2012, 11:41:47 am »

Take another look at the book. Go enquire if we can check out some books.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2012, 11:47:29 am »

Derm pauses, and weighs the options in his head. In a rare flash of common sense directed in the completely wrong direction, he realizes he shouldn't really be casting inside a library.

Go find a Designated Spell Testing area, stand a distance away, and preform MAGIC!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2012, 12:12:17 pm »

Del nods. He hoped this newcomer did not compete for the Ladies affections...

Action: Continue the Search for that last bottle.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2012, 12:32:48 pm »

"You shall pay, villain!"

Ardimis takes his cape, rolls it into a ball, and uses it for fireball material. He launches the fireball at the nefarious Water Mage.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2012, 12:44:00 pm »

Follow Derm, there has to be a spell faculity somewhere, And practice BURNING WHIPLASH (patent pending)

"Find anything good in the books?"
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2012, 01:08:44 pm »

Murkal will leave in distaste, and head to an inn for some strong spirits.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2012, 01:36:11 pm »

Follow Derm, there has to be a spell faculity somewhere, And practice BURNING WHIPLASH (patent pending)

"Oh, hey. There's a Polymorph I want to try out. Apparently it proves the basic theory in this book. RM is truly a genius with logic unparalleled. I have a cat and a cactus. Also I can clean things with water."
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2012, 02:26:40 pm »

"Oh, hey. There's a Polymorph I want to try out. Apparently it proves the basic theory in this book. RM is truly a genius with logic unparalleled. I have a cat and a cactus. Also I can clean things with water."
"Cool, I can choke people with fire and later I'm going grave robbing."
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2012, 03:05:06 pm »

"Cool, I can choke people with fire and later I'm going grave robbing."

"Neat, count me in."

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2012, 04:26:28 am »

Stone Shape the floor/any nearby stone around the Water Mage and, while he's held by the stone, NERD SMASH!
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2012, 12:16:30 pm »

Bumpadoodle.
So how are you today?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2012, 12:19:21 pm »

Turn in progress. Also, Irony, your action is missing.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2012, 02:04:31 pm »

((Yeah, whoops.))

Try that again on the non-flaming mage!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2012, 02:19:43 am »

Sigh. Final bump.

A short run, but good nonetheless.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16