Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 7: Saving Lives of Rats and Renegades  (Read 20808 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 3: Fight!
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2012, 01:52:11 am »

Del felt as Raven was right behind him-caressing his shoulder, whispering into his ear. Watching his every move. Guiding his hand when he was slow.

It felt...good. He had a feeling this was a test...she obviously knew his first inclination would be to seek a Remove Curse spell. No doubt, she was ready for a quick betrayal. In a direct battle of wills, he wasn't sure if he could win when she had such a massive advantage...and he also knew, he'd really only have one chance to escape. So he had to very, very careful choosing that chance.

Maybe he was deluding himself-or it was the curse putting thoughts into himself-but Del decided to bide his time for now.

...In any case, Lady Raven said removing the curse would hurt...and he was inclined to believe her. He loved her, afte all. Why would she lie to him?

And there was always the reward she had promised. Any reward from her would be enough. He broke into a brisk jog, forgetting all his traitor thoughts (At least the surface ones), and heading back to the manor. Oh, how he longed to see and hold her again...

Action: Head back to Lady Ravens Manor

Nothing happens on your road back, but the rain abates slightly; you think you can make out the silhouette of Archmage's Tower now. Raven's butler greets you at the door, opening it moments before you can knock; he bows slightly and steps aside.

The house was still eerily silent, its inhabitants either sleeping or sitting in place, completely motionless. Raven, however, has gotten out of bed, where now lay a crooked wooden staff, and was now standing before a trio of big red-chested birds perched upon her window, her eyes closed. You hear her voice in your head:
Raven: "The experiment in the tavern was only a backup plan; you will take the first seats in the City's demise. I- yes, I already talked to Him! Stop worrying so much. You will move out this full moon, just as planned. The experiment's failure will not affect your side of the battle, I promise."
The birds fly away and Raven turns around. She seems to be a lot warmer and more cheerful than she was when you last saw her. While before, she was distant and cold, an ice queen whose eyes glimmered with cruel beauty, now she resembles a young girl. The sparkles in her eyes play wonderfully as she chatters away, picking up the crooked staff from the bed and taking your hand to lead you out of the room:
Raven: "Songbird! You're back already. Overheard my conversation, have you? I don't mind, really, but I'm afraid your gift will have to wait; right now, you and I have to clean up a few things. Now, follow me - no time to waste!"

You descend into the house's basement. Raven puts a hand onto one of the walls and mutters something, and the wall opens, revealing a dark passage beyond; she summons a wisp and puts it onto her staff like a lamp glowing with bluish-white light, and drags you further down the passage while chattering away:
Raven: "You have no idea how big a burden you have helped lift from my heart, dear Songbird. Marie, this terrible woman... I wasn't sure whether she'd fulfill her part of the deal, or if she'd keep the contract so as to torment me further. I'm sure there was something about you that woke up her kindness!"
You can hardly believe the change in Raven. Where is that coldness that seeped from her words? [Perception: 1-1] You try to search Raven's tone for a single shred of cruelty or distant hatred, but see nothing except for that contagious glee she seems to be overcome with.
Raven: "She and I have a long history, dear Songbird - a very long one, indeed. She was once a prodigy, a genius of her time... but her last expedition to the elven lands twenty years ago had robbed her of her family and ambitions, and me - of my freedom."
You reach a crossroads in the passage, and Raven takes the right-side path. [Perception: 4-1] The stone around you shows evidence of manual work: Earth Magic doesn't tend to leave rough edges behind.
Raven: "I was an elf once, you see. My name was- no, it doesn't matter anymore; I like 'Raven' a lot more than that name. I have always wanted to learn magic, but in elven tribes, only shamans do, and shaman is a hereditary position. One day, a pair of half-starved, exhausted travelers, a man and a woman, wanders into our camp deep in the jungles of the New World; speaking in a weird dialect of elven language, they introduce themselves as mages and offer arcane aid in exchange for supplies and directions to the nearest elven ruin."
Raven: "Our tribe's shaman was away on a spiritual journey, so we gladly accepted the trade... but only for supplies. Our superstitions said that whoever trespasses onto the ancient elves' land will be chased by the forest itself until the day of their death. In a way, that superstition was true - but I did not know that. I was young and foolish, barely in my thirties, and I accepted the travelers' offer: in exchange for my help guiding them through the forest, they would take me as an apprentice and teach me magic."
Raven: "That was when we struck the magical contract you helped me break free from: it bound me to find whatever they ordered me to find and to guide them to that thing, whilst they would see to it that I am trained as an apprentice and become a Graduate in no more than ten years' time. I have failed to notice that my side of the contract has no time limit; you might understand the implications of that. Breaking or cheating your way out of the magical contract was impossible; if you did, your soul would be completely annihilated, not even leaving enough of yourself to go to the afterlife."
Raven: "And so, having foolishly agreed to the terms, I led the two mages into the smallest, most poorly-protected elven ruin I could think of. Turns out, 'poorly-protected' wasn't poor enough: its guardian spirit has proven too powerful for the pair to defeat and Marie's husband had to cover our retreat. He didn't make it out of that place. Marie never stopped blaming me for his death - and for what happened next."
Raven's wisp goes out the moment she stops speaking, and she quickly snaps back into reality:
Raven: "That's nothing serious, we're just passing under the Dormitories. Too much dragonbane in one place, and even ether starts disintegrating. Hold my hand and keep walking. Suffice it to say that we really were chased by a small forest's worth of angry nature spirits until we swam across the oceans and hid into the City. And even here, in this stone-cold place filled with atrocities against nature, the spirits kept nagging at us, trying to get into the City as animals, insects and even plants."

[Perception: 2-1] You don't notice anything other than the light going out; after a while of walking through the darkness with no sounds but the screeching of Raven's staff against the stone of the walls, you stop and Raven summons another wisp. The light illuminates a dead end before you, a wall of sandstone. The wall parts under Raven's eyes like butter under hot knife and reveals a darkened cellar beyond. You see pools of shining ether lying on the ground here and there: the wisps like that the Raven has used as light source, only this time in shape of someone's footprints.
Raven: "My, my, somebody has put a lot of effort into recreating the crime scene. I'm afraid I can't let them get everything right, though. Songbird, there should be three untouched bottles of ale in here somewhere, labelled 'Reedflow, Summer 489 A.G.D.' in here. Find them all and bring them to me, will you? Just don't drink them: the enchantment on that ale is faulty and even its creator doesn't know what went wrong."
Raven: "The poor folks in here have all gone mad and slaughtered each another after the barkeep brought it out... a messy business, very messy. Our cleaner, whose footprints you now see, spent almost an hour burning away the blood and flesh so that the enchantment doesn't get spread by the vermin. The Guard decided to have a look at the tavern before he finished the job, though, so I guess we'll need to pick up the slack."
She starts modifying the wisps of the glowing footprints, lengthening the tracks, creating more footprints leading into a different part of the wall. Hmm... clever. If someone tried to dig there, they'd only encounter solid stone instead of the tunnel.

[Looting: 2; 1; 3] You find one bottle of the Reedflow ale propped up against the wall next to the staircase upwards; the barkeep must have put it here in case the first bottle is too popular amongst the customers. You look around, but notice no other bottles; they must be somewhere deeper in the cellar.
[Perception: 6-1] You see something moving in the darkness. It looks like a human in a shabby coat.

Spoiler: Lore: Elves (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dwarmin/Del Vundi (click to show/hide)

NOTE 1: Note that the 'preemptive counterattack' mechanism is pretty much the best defense in this game. When you are attacking someone and they are attacking yourself, your attack rolls will be opposed to each other; if both rolls are succesful, no damage is dealt to each of the opponents. This also applies to AoE attacks like a wall of fire.
NOTE 2: If you want to, you can use Spellcrafting to roll for Spell Components to add to some spell you already know. If you learn the spell from a book, you roll for Components automatically.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:03:06 am by HmH »

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2012, 01:58:18 am »

"Nope."
Mehrik checks out the book on lairs, if that's allowed, and goes in search of a book about fire magic.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2012, 02:01:37 am »

Nod my thanks to Ardimis for helping me. Then Stone Shape myself some form of primitive weapon, probably a club, then cast DUCK SKIN on myself and engage the water mage!

NO WATER SHALL HARM ME THIS DAY!
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2012, 02:07:19 am »

((@Spinal_Taper: You already have found some info on one of the lairs. You rolled [Danger: 5], [Loot: 5]. It's combined with anailater's turn.))
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:14:32 am by HmH »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2012, 02:16:46 am »

"Right then! Skadoosh!"

waggle fingers, get self clean. If time permits, browse through chapter one of 'RM's guide to fucking with biology. Not literally. Okay maybe a bit literally.': So you want to pull a fast one on nature.'
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:23:06 am by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2012, 02:44:14 am »

Del listened to the story with interest. Was she really so bad, then? Raven had merely been trying to escape her own arcane imprisonment...by binding him...he supposed it was reasonable, when pushed to such extremes, to take hard measures. She seemed to be free now. Somehow, he hoped Raven would in turn free him-not that he wanted to be apart from her, but...he just wanted to talk to her...

He shook his head. Wine. Yes. He had to get two more...The Figure in front of him was not likely a friend in any case. Raven would have warned him if their were allies of hers down here.

A part of him honestly didn't care-it wanted to let loose with his most powerful magic, to rend, destroy and crumble. To break free. From what? He couldn't say...

Del whipped out his fiddle and set his bow in a smooth, practiced motion-he would use a simple but useful spell, 'Earth Blast'-little more than a ball of hardened Earth shaped into being by his song, and launched at his opponent like a dirty missile. It took time and concentration, but the effects were always amusing.

Get out of my way He thought, smiling. I am Lady Raven's Knight...Her will be done.

Action: Whip out my fiddle and cast Earth Blast at the Figure.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2012, 03:13:00 am »

((@Spinal_Taper: You already have found some info on one of the lairs. You rolled [Danger: 5], [Loot: 5]. It's combined with anailater's turn.))
((Can it be checked out to be carried around, to learn about other targets?))

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2012, 03:22:18 am »

((Can it be checked out to be carried around, to learn about other targets?))
[Withdraw: 4] The Arcane Library allows its clients to withdraw books for personal use. If the books are not returned to the Library in three days' time, a squad of enforcers is deployed to return the book and exert a 100gp fine upon the client in question.
[Damaged: 6; 1] If the book was damaged or lost, the enforcers have legal permission to 'make an example' of the client who took it. Appealing to the City Guard is futile, as the Arcane Library stands above the law.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:24:45 am by HmH »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2012, 04:04:02 am »

Vira jolted at the sudden intrusion. She really didn't want to get stabbed, and she really didn't know any combat magic. This was a serious problem.

More than a little panicked, she decided to go with what she knew.

Flesh warp one of the mages' skin into severe, debilitating pain.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2012, 09:16:44 am »

"Hmmm this could be a plan, but i would prefer to be armed first, I should increase my magical abilities". He mutters to himself.
I will meet you, guys back here soon i have to do something". He tells the others he came with.
Look for some sort of fire magic training place (Hopefully with dummies. See if i can learn a spell to use a whip of fire to go around some ones neck and both separate the head and body, and choke the entity it is being used on.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2012, 10:30:14 am »

Murkal will fashion an orb of light, just something simple utilizing his Air Magic, and have it follow him around, while he searches the tavern cellars.

Whoa. Big update, dude.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2012, 01:17:11 pm »

((Update quality dropped a little, but it's still great overall))

Action! Glory! Justice!

"For imprisoning innocents, I deal out justice!"

Ardimis launches a fireball at the most immediate threat, the Water Mage
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2012, 07:06:36 pm »

((Damn bro. That library is harsh.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2012, 03:37:40 am »

((Damn bro. That library is harsh.))
((It's what you'd expect from an 18th-century-ish society with mages at a cornerstone of every industry. The material requirements for giving someone magical ability are fundamentally expensive, so there's a huge-ass college tuition attached that basically makes every mage a loan slave of their respective magical school. Which, of course, allows the Archmages install whatever bullshit laws they want - after all, they own the asses of every influental person in the City.

Hence the swift installment of a taboo system by the now-famous Conspiracy of Five Cities on the southern coast about seven hundred years before the time of the game. The usefulness of having a legal system specifically for killing mages you don't like has been recognized by many other Cities, and those opposed were forced to install the system under the threat of embargo, military invasion and other wonderful things a numerically superior opponent can do to you.))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2012, 09:58:37 pm »

Bump! We missing anyone? O_o
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16