Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 7: Saving Lives of Rats and Renegades  (Read 20831 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 1: First Time For Everything
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2012, 04:07:08 pm »

Ardimis nods. Time for action. He follows a few feet behind and takes a moment to try and craft a new spell. Explosive Fireball. The combustion is accelerated and the containment field weakened. When the fireball nears its target, the weakened containment field breaks, spewing hot plasma in the general direction of its momentum, potentially hitting multiple targets. (My idea is a -1 to hit from the original fireball (bringing it to 0), but it becomes an AOE spell. Of course, you can make it whatever you want, but that was the idea behind it)

He then keeps his head on a swivel, with his ears open. Anything moving through the sewers is bound to make noise that echoes through it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:31:53 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2012, 12:32:31 am »

Looks like we got everyone. All eagerly awaiting turn, Hmh. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2012, 01:07:39 pm »

Bump.
 This game is great so far  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:25:43 am by anailater »
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2012, 12:22:59 pm »

There was a bit of a setback(which, aside from my tsundere D-Link finally dying and cutting me off from the English dictionaries for a day and a half, involves no small deal of succumbing to the wily charms of Master of Orion 2), so I only have six hours' worth of writing done.
Only 40% of the rough sketch is written, and polishing things will take nearly the same amount of time as actually writing the sketch. This turn will be finished in approximately 24 hours since this post.

However, informing you about the setback is not the main purpose of this post.  I've just realized that I have left the whole bunch of 'this game is amazing'-type comments without a single response. Better late than never, so...
Thanks, people! It's good to know the quality of the game is worth the waiting.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2012, 06:11:07 pm »

Ardimis launches a fireball at-

Wait a second, there's no turn here.  :(
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2012, 08:02:01 pm »

Don't be a pest, Orb. It'll be done when it's done!

That said, GM must be careful of making promises to overeager players. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 2: Naivete and Paranoia
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2012, 12:15:09 am »

[Turn 2: Naivete and Paranoia]

Sneak up on the whip noise, and see if I can't devise a spell to improve a human livers effectiveness tenfold on the way.

(This would make one resistant to toxins. I'd imagine if it was successful I could drink sewer water with no ill effects. Also no hangovers ever again.)

[Spellcrafting: 3] Hmm. Messing with the metabolic rates of separate organs tends to be unhealthy: liver would get damaged, wrong metabolites would flood the bloodstream... and it hurts like a bitch, too. No, it's best to leave the liver alone; there are many more ways to detox people with magic.
Such as by making them vomit their guts out. The idea seems awfully primitive, but it's actually one of the safest methods out there - something that you definitely won't botch even in your current state.

[Sneaking: 1] You try to get closer and investigate the mysterious whipcrack... and run into a group of dogs doing the same thing.
The dogs look pretty damn feral, seeing as they're skinnier, dirtier and angrier than any other mutt you ever saw in your life. Their leader is a huge, black, ugly-ass half-pitbull with pointy ears and a round, short muzzle. The dogs aren't attacking you just yet, but they seem very willing to do so as soon as they're done trying to find the screaming guy.

Spoiler: dermonster/Derm (click to show/hide)

Annoying, pointless, time wasting thoughts aside-he had to get to work. He had a job to do, after all. Lady Raven demanded it.

Del flipped his long hood over his head, shielding his eyes. He tipped his hat to the Lady, savoring and hating her in equal measure. Then he went out into the storm.

Action: Gather up my equipment and the box, head off in the direction of Marie Linnen with no delay.

You walk out of the room and go down the stairs, passing through a living room. There are three people in here: a woman and a man, seemingly the owners of this mansion, and a butler. Each of them have identical golden rings on their fingers, and none react to your presence. The whole house is eerily quiet, and you try to leave it as soon as you can.

[Travel: 4] You get to Marie's house, a small but cozy-looking two-story cottage, with no problems. A window on the second floor glows with dim yellow light - Marie must be working late. There are two stone statues blocking the door; one of them holds a bronze shield with a small hammer chained to it. Fancy.
You ring on the shield, and an old woman looks outside. Her hair is grizzled red and her face is struck through with wrinkles; she is dressed in a light grey robe of some sort. She has dark bags under her eyes: this woman clearly hasn't slept or gone outside her house in a long time.
Old Woman: "Can't you youngsters leave an old woman alone? What do you need here?"
[Raven: 5] You feel something faintly pressing onto your head and start talking: it almost seems as if Raven herself has overheard your conversation and put the words into your mouth.
Del Vundi: "Package from the Duchess, Miss Linnens. Shall I leave it on the porch?"
Old Woman: "No! They could be watching! Get in here, quick!"
She whispers some words to the statues and they step aside, revealing a beautiful, if old-fashioned, wooden door behind them. You enter Marie's house and proceed up the stairs; it has, no doubt, been a beautiful house a decade or so ago, but something caused it to fall into disrepair. The only well-maintained part of the house was a trail between Marie's room on the second floor and the front door.

Marie's room is made of smooth, black granite; the red velvet drapings on the walls and a cushy armchair in the corner almost make it look comfy... except they're covered with dust and webs. The whole room is in disarray: there is a stack of dirty dishes standing next to the table, a runed chalk circle on the floor with a candelabra within, a pile of half-burned papers next to the fireplace and quite a lot of dust on pretty much everything.
Oh, and Marie is sitting on the bed, pointing a crossbow right at your chest.
Marie Linnens: "If Duchess sent you, you know what to do."
[Raven: 5] You feel that pressure on your head again, and before you know it, you find yourself making some mockery of a bow, with your left hand's fingers twisted into positions you thought impossible before. Marie seems satisfied and puts the crossbow away, rambling.
Marie Linnens: "Good! Good. You're the real thing, then. Give me that book. You do know what it is, right? It gives its wielder the power to destroy spirits entirely; with it in my hands, they won't pester me any longer. I am now free - and so is the Duchess. Tell her our contract is now null!"
She gives a gleeful cackle and starts reading the book, paying no attention to you whatsoever. Well... that was awkward.

What will you do now? You're pretty sure the stores are open by now; if you need anything such as, oh, a Remove Curse scroll, it would be best to go there now. [Raven: 6; 5] A silky voice in your head tells you that removing the curse would do nothing but hurt you deeply. For some reason, you are strongly compelled to believe it.

Spoiler: Dwarmin/Del Vundi (click to show/hide)

Bruce takes very little time to consider the ideas of what could have happend, and instead of going towards the death  killing fire mage, He runs in the other direction looking for a pub.
Also he checks everything he has, to be sure.

[Movement: 3+1] After a while of running through rather nondescript terrain littered with ruined buildings, you seem to finally enter some part of town that isn't unconditionally not-nice. There are hovels, hovels, more hovels, an occasional pawn shop and... oh, look, a pub! Sure, it's a rather shitty, cheap-looking pub, but at least it's not abandoned or anything.

When you check your pockets and the gold pouch, you notice that there is no money whatsoever hidden anywhere on your body; you won't be able to buy a drink unless you make some money. Did you have any other plans for what to do in there?

Murkal will gently wake the lady up, to figure out what's going on. Oh, and PUT THE DAMN CANDLES BACK. If there's time, try to create a spell known as "Bzzzzt", which lightly stuns a target on cast. Not very powerful, but costs very little magic, and can be repeatedly cast, sometimes multiple times per turn, depending on the dice. It does a minimal amount of damage.

[Spellcrafting: 2] You don't have time for this! The lady is waking up, and if you don't explain the situation in time, you'll be in trouble!
A quick attempt to plug the candleholder back into the wall fails spectacularly: it simply falls out of its slot, which is not altogether surprising considering that you had to damage the stone a little to tear it out.

The lady opens her eyes and stares, unbelieving, at the ransacked room upon her. [Persuasion: 5-1] Amazingly enough, you manage to convince her that you weren't the one who stole the candleholders; she might just be willing to not call the guards or anything until you've left.
[What Happened?: 3] It turns out that the woman is married, but her husband, an alchemist, is away on an assignment in the New World and won't be returning any time soon. So she was managing the mansion and her husband's shop all by her lonesome, aching for company, when yesterday in a fine tavern she met you, a surprisingly suave, if poorly-dressed, gentleman of many magical skills. One word led to another, alcohol flew in rivers, and the next thing she remembers after tasting the fine drink in your bottle is waking up here in her room, feeling better than she did ever before.

The woman seems a little naive and, if you would pardon the word, dim. Is there anything specific you want to ask her about, or do you want to leave already? There is a big tree sprawling right under the room's windows, rain faintly rustling against its green leaves. You can jump out of the window, falling right into the tree's crown, and get out of the mansion almost unnoticed.

Spoiler: Caerwyn/Murkal (click to show/hide)

"I might have done that even if you were actually a tax guy."
With that stupid joke, leave the man behind, taking his gear and money. Stop the bleeding from his face first though. Use the money to check into an inn, get information from there and hope the hangover fades away.

You get back on your feet and examine your victim's face. [Diagnosis Lv0: 1] The wound is deep and bleeding heavily. You don't think anything short of cauterizing it can prevent the brute from dying of blood loss. [Fire Magic Lv1: 3] You combust the man's clothes and spray a large portion of his face with plasma to cauterize the wound; you couldn't have gotten any more precise, not with a hangover like this. Fortunately, the collateral damage from fire seems only skin-deep: it will leave a mark, but he'll live.

[Movement: 5] After looting the body, you continue walking through the unremarkable-looking streets. Nobody else seems to interrupt you this time. After a while, you find a meager-looking tavern made of some cheap stone.
The interior of the inn is every bit as unremarkable as its exterior, and a lot dirtier. The only three customers in the tavern are out cold on the floor, and the bartender is sitting behind the tab, snoring, his eyes closed.
[Hangover Cure: 5] You wake up the bartender, put a few gold pieces at the table and order a beer. He nods grimly and pours you a mug of some foul, yeast-smelling potion that only the poorest of the poor would call 'beer'. Nevertheless, the 'beer' seems to get rid of your headache quite well. You can think clearly once again! Huzzah!
Now, what did you want to ask the bartender about?

Spoiler: Spinal_Taper/Mehrik (click to show/hide)

Vira's dreams were pleasant. She'd won! Everyone liked her. Yaaaaaay...!

She should probably go do things, though.

Wake up.

[Consciousness: 4] You wake up in a dark chamber, lit only by some meager fire in one of its corners. There are three people sitting next to you, each chained to a wall by their left leg. You are not yet chained; however, your hands are bound and there is a gag in your mouth.
On a closer inspection, you notice that the fire is not burning for illumination: it is heating a huge steaming cauldron, large enough for a human body to fit into it. There is an anvil standing next to the cauldron, and a few roughly-made golden bracelets lying scattered around the anvil.

Nothing seems to happen for a minute or two; then, one of the walls parts in two and an enormous... figure... crawls out, followed by that cute guy whom you met in the tavern. You know, the one you out-drank? Yes, this one. The figure, however, is anything but cute: the overgrown muscles, gorilla-like stance, slit-pupiled eyes and chitinous scales on its skin are all but screaming about their owner going overboard with Flesh Magic.

While you are busy staring at the figure, its partner approaches you:
Stranger: "I have seen your grimoire, my dear. The selection of spells you have chosen to work upon intrigued me quite a bit, for most of them concern the creation of undead. You see, several weeks ago a spell was discovered - an ancient and powerful spell - that allowed people like you and me to gain control over people's minds with barely a thought. My organization - our organization - possesses and protects it from unfitting hands, but an extraordinary witch such as yourself is welcome in our ranks. Join us, and you will have the spell; refuse, and the spell will have you. The decision is yours to make."
He cuts your bonds and removes the gag. You are now free to move and speak.

Spoiler: IronyOwl/Vira (click to show/hide)

(( More like SATANIC LISTENING D: Btw, Haidere Orb. I can hear you. ))

I will duck into the hole, just the entrance, trying to be quiet so that the people inside and outside don't hear me, then I will stay there and hide.

You crawl into the hole. It's not as small as you thought it is: there is a big straight section before you, ending in some corridor; you don't see even the faintest light at the end of the hole, but you know it's straight ahead, which probably means that it's pitch dark there.

Seems like the adventurers know about this passage, too, and the heavy one doesn't hesitate to drop down and crawl his way through. [Sneaking: 3] You, however, are already in the room, pressing your back against a wall. You hear muffled clanking coming from the other end of the corridor, and immediately realize that the door is there.

Despite all your attempts to hide and get out as quickly as possible, the big, heavily-armored adventurer notices you the moment someone lights up the torch. He grabs you by your ankles and drags you back from the hole through which you tried to crawl out. As soon as you were out, he pressed a dagger against your throat and whispered into your ear:
Heavily Armored Adventurer: "Who are you and how did you get here?"
You notice very little anger in his voice; most of the emotions his tone conveys are doubt and puzzlement. This almost seems like a benign chat... if you forget the dagger.

Ardimis nods. Time for action. He follows a few feet behind and takes a moment to try and craft a new spell. Explosive Fireball. The combustion is accelerated and the containment field weakened. When the fireball nears its target, the weakened containment field breaks, spewing hot plasma in the general direction of its momentum, potentially hitting multiple targets. (My idea is a -1 to hit from the original fireball (bringing it to 0), but it becomes an AOE spell. Of course, you can make it whatever you want, but that was the idea behind it)

He then keeps his head on a swivel, with his ears open. Anything moving through the sewers is bound to make noise that echoes through it.

[Spellcrafting: 2] You probably could think of a way in which to make a fireball's explosion cover more ground, but not right now. Maybe when you're a tad bit more sober.

Eventually, you reach the entrance to the kidnappers' lair: it looks strangely like a rathole, except human-sized - you can even see the claw marks on its edges. Earth Magic isn't precise enough to emulate this kind of detail; it must have been dug by some manner of beast. The Burly assures you that nothing is inhabiting this hole; he scouted it out before, and the only thing he found on the other side was a locked door. You crawl to the end of the tunnel, rise and continue your way through a rough, but magically-created corridor of sorts. The corridor seems to be empty.

After the group reaching the end of the corridor, the Burly gives you an unlit torch and whispers for you to light it. [Spellcasting: 3] You put a spark on the torch; soon, the fire sets in full and lifts the shadows from around you. The door that Burly spoke of is quite a fancy, metal-reinforced piece of work. You now understand why you needed a rogue for this task.

The Lanky kneels before the lock and drags some tools out of his clothes, but some sort of noise erupts on the other end of the corridor, distracting both of you. [Grappling: 3+2] Someone's halfway stuck in the tunnel you came through and is desperately clawing at the ground while Burly is dragging him out by his heels; the poor fellow must think you'd kill him. [Recognition: 1] The fellow's face does seem familiar when Burly drags him into the light, but you can't quite recognize whether he's a good or a bad acquaintance.
Lanky shrugs and goes back to work while the Burly puts a dagger to the fellow's throat and starts whispering something into his ear.

Spoiler: Orb/Ardimis Maximus (click to show/hide)

NOTE 1: Terribly sorry about the holdup, guys. I can't say this won't happen again, since you know how it is with flu. From now on, however, I will make as few promises as I can. :P
NOTE 2: I believe I haven't yet mentioned that you may cast spells at Magnitude Levels higher than their default levels; as such, if you have a Level 2 Fireball and are a Competent Fire Mage, you can say 'cast Level 3 Fireball' and your first roll would be on Magnitude Level 3, not 2. Of course, the limitations of your skills still apply: a Competent Fire Mage cannot cast a Level 4 spell and so on.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:35:15 am by HmH »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2012, 12:26:31 am »

"What is with the fucking dogs in this town!? DIVERSIONARY TACTICS!"

Quickly, second magnitude dog spice on the next biggest dog with the intention of starting up an inter pack leadership brawl!

Run towards not here! Secondary concern: Water based cleaning spell.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:28:15 am by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2012, 12:29:45 am »

"Is there anywhere for me to train? And, where am I?"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2012, 12:39:47 am »

Vira cleared her throat, thinking about his proposal. Where to start...

On the one hand, she really didn't want to be drawn and quartered in the public square. That meant turning him down, or at least remaining more distanced from the whole affair, was wise.

On the other hand, she also didn't want to be turned into a malformed brute to be puppeted around by people who were going to be drawn and quartered in the public square, so that made turning him down rather unwise. She wasn't nearly confident enough in her abilities to risk taking them both on at once, which meant...

Vira smiled politely.

"Could you tell me more about this organization? And this spell, surely there's some downsides or risks involved? Is that thing there your partner or your pet?

Might I ask your name? I'm Vira."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2012, 12:44:51 am »

"I'm just an Earth Mage! I woke up down here, I got drunk last night!" protest my innocence.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2012, 12:46:25 am »

Murkal will bow to the lady, thank her for the pleasant company, and mention that she can call on him for a favor at any time. Then, walk out of the room, and exit the mansion. With style, of course. Oh, and if he encounters any cute maids, give their bosoms a gentle squeeze.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2012, 12:58:16 am »

This hangover is messing with my mind. Why would I know someone who is in the sewers?

Ardimis immediately puts his hand to the stranger's mouth before he can say more than a word.

He whispers:

"We're not going to hurt you, if you cooperate. Now, when I lift my hand you're going to repeat what you're going to say, nice and quiet"

He then turns to 'Burly' and whispers

"You said there was a mage. That looks like mage attire to me. How can we trust him?"

((If we cast a lv 0 spell at lv 1 or higher, is it still a free action?))
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:22:08 am by Orb »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2012, 01:31:19 am »

Del felt as Raven was right behind him-caressing his shoulder, whispering into his ear. Watching his every move. Guiding his hand when he was slow.

It felt...good. He had a feeling this was a test...she obviously knew his first inclination would be to seek a Remove Curse spell. No doubt, she was ready for a quick betrayal. In a direct battle of wills, he wasn't sure if he could win when she had such a massive advantage...and he also knew, he'd really only have one chance to escape. So he had to very, very careful choosing that chance.

Maybe he was deluding himself-or it was the curse putting thoughts into himself-but Del decided to bide his time for now.

...In any case, Lady Raven said removing the curse would hurt...and he was inclined to believe her. He loved her, afte all. Why would she lie to him?

And there was always the reward she had promised. Any reward from her would be enough. He broke into a brisk jog, forgetting all his traitor thoughts (At least the surface ones), and heading back to the manor. Oh, how he longed to see and hold her again...

Action: Head back to Lady Ravens Manor

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2012, 03:06:19 am »

[...]Terribly sorry about the holdup, guys. I[...]From now on, however, I will make as few promises as I can. :P
((If only I could be like this.  :-\))
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16