Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archers and Height  (Read 605 times)

TigerHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Archers and Height
« on: July 13, 2012, 04:10:00 pm »

I'm starting to build walls around my fortress - what effect does height have on the path of bolts? Is there an upper limit to where my marksdwarves should be shooting from? Does height actually confer any advantage, or should I just build my fortifications on the ground and shoot from there?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Archers and Height
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:31:44 pm »

their sight/range is limited, though slightly flexible. The idea so far is that vision (needed for targeted) is a sphere around a dwarf and it is fixed. Say it is 20 squares and the dwarf is 21 levels up, he won't see the ground, so no, height gives no range or spotting advantage.

another problem is that if you go higher, your dwarfs won't be able to hit targets that stand next to the wall. This blind zone gets bigger as you go higher.

A small problem with ground floor fortifications is that goblins standing next to them can shoot through too. That is why most players put them either 1 z-level higher or dig a moat (dry or filled with water/magma) in front so goblins can't stand next to it. Elite bowgobs can always shoot through them, make sure you can get your dwarfs out of there.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:33:34 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

TigerHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 05:12:18 pm »

Thanks!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:22:00 pm »

Actually, a higher z-level can theoretically give a sight advantage if you've got a hill next to your fort or something, but as mentioned before be aware that vision goes both ways and elite bowmen can return fire through the fortifications.

I didn't see this mentioned in Garath's post, but keep in mind that height is kind of strange right now in that being higher up reduces a crossbow's range the same as if you were lower than your target.  I haven't tested this myself, but it's circulated enough that I believe it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:31:09 pm »

their sight/range is limited, though slightly flexible. The idea so far is that vision (needed for targeted) is a sphere around a dwarf and it is fixed. Say it is 20 squares and the dwarf is 21 levels up, he won't see the ground,

it doesn't actually work this way completely, people have reported dwarfs aimed shooting beyond conventional range, but yes, height incurs a penalty on sight range and such compared to ground level - on the other hand, as sort of mentioned, they might be able to see and shoot past trees or hills that they otherwise couldn't
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.