Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A little Noob Question about barracks and military  (Read 792 times)

Goldfish8

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A little Noob Question about barracks and military
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:20:59 am »

Hello
I just got a little 5-dwarf squad ready, but I couldn't really follow how the wiki says to make the barracks and everything. This is what I know;
Make a bed( for each dwarf?), make it into a room, make it a barracks. Then I can press z(sleep),t(train),i(Indiv eq, could someone explain to me what this does?) and q(squad eq, could someone also explain to me what this also means?)
Then it also tells me that I should have some armour stands and weapons racks and make them into barracks , and make them training areas( If i make the bedroom that I made into a barracks into a training area what is the difference?
Thanks you, I'd really like to know the answer to these questions.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: A little Noob Question about barracks and military
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:59:09 am »

Barracks can be designated by beds, weapon racks or armor racks. No matter which object you choose for making the room, there is no difference for training. If you build multiple beds in the same area, you just have to pick one bed and make it into a room. All the other beds in the room will count as part of the barracks, too.
You can make the military sleep in the barracks by pressing z, if you do that, you should have some beds in the barracks. On the one hand this is useful because the the dwarfs are close to their training area when they wake up, on the other hand, dwarfs prefer to have their own bedrooms, and happy dwarfs are important especially in the military.

Armor stands and weapon racks are just for decoration or for designating the training area if you don't want to build any beds.

Indiv eq means that the dwarfs store their individual equipment in the barracks. You should build some containers (like coffers) in the barracks if you don't want them to throw it on the floor. Squad eq means the equipment of the squad. I'm not 100% sure how well this feature works, but I think that their individual equipment are all the things that they own. The squad equipment should be things like their uniforms and weapons.
Anyways, the equipment storing seems to be a bit buggy, so I wouldn't think too hard about it.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: A little Noob Question about barracks and military
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 10:26:02 am »

since it's best to have militia wear their uniform all the time, armor stands and weapon racks are purely decorative - or for setting up a barracks.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.