Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to: Tracks?  (Read 3952 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to: Tracks?
« on: July 13, 2012, 03:10:08 am »

I'm trying to build a track system that goes from above ground past a few soil layers to the rock layer to sort and deliver wood, so I dig a channel and another and another so I have 3 natural ramps on the soil layers going down one after the other... now I want to build a track on top... but how? when I try I'm only able to build the track ramp on the tile that has been channelled the down ramp) but if I build the track there I get an unusable up ramp track... if go to the level bellow where the up ramp is, that tile shows as blocked... what gives? do I have to destroy the natural ramp (flat floor) in order to build an up ramp track in the same way I would build a constructed ramp?

Edit: I think I'll add a little quick how-to with the answers on this thread for easy reference
To construct Track Ramps over natural ramps (needed for soil layers):
Code: [Select]
.R

. = Floor
R = Ramp
a floor tile needs to be right next to the ramp, build the ramp track on the tile with the natural ramp

To carve Track Ramps over natural stone ramps (can not be done on soil):
Code: [Select]
.RW

. = Floor
R = Ramp
W = Wall
a wall needs to be next to the ramp as usual to make the ramp usable, designate carve tracks on the ramp tile and the wall tile
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:16:42 pm by Kaos »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: How to construct track ramps?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:27:15 am »

In order to build a ramp (be it tracked or not), the dwarf must be able to stand on the same level. Dig out a tile adjacent to where you want the ramp to go, and it should work.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 03:05:18 pm »

Got it working! Thanks! :P

By the way track stops can only be constructed, right? no way to carve those on stone?

The auto-dump feature in the stops automatically dumps everything on the cart, isn't there a way to auto dump only certain items, I was trying using the "when empty of desired items" condition but it dumped everything anyway...

The idea was to have a track that goes from a wood stockpile and along the track there are several stops where only certain kind of wood would get dumped, stop 1: willow, stop 2: oak, and so on... I was expecting that by setting auto-dump stops with the desired items condition the cart full of assorted types of wood would automagically pass on stop 1 and auto-dump all the willows, then continue to stop 2 and auto-dump all the oaks and so on and return back to the loading stop where it will pick more assorted types of wood until is full and then will be pushed again to make another full circle.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to: Tracks?
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 03:34:27 pm »

Indeed, auto-dump stops can only dump everything. Manual dumping is for dorfs to do. depending on how you set it up, it can take just a few moments, the only problem being that wood doesn't use barrels or bins, so the stock piles would have to be large. The quicker method is to use a single dump stop, and have the individual stockpiles all set to take those types of wood from the auto-dumped stop. The quickest way to get the wood out is to make the auto-dump not actually be a stockpile for wood.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 04:21:58 pm »

Indeed, auto-dump stops can only dump everything. Manual dumping is for dorfs to do. depending on how you set it up, it can take just a few moments, the only problem being that wood doesn't use barrels or bins, so the stock piles would have to be large. The quicker method is to use a single dump stop, and have the individual stockpiles all set to take those types of wood from the auto-dumped stop. The quickest way to get the wood out is to make the auto-dump not actually be a stockpile for wood.
I imagined so, I was thinking about setting a wood stockpile on the surface and a small track that will dump all the wood through a hole in the ground into my fortress...

but I also want it sorted by wood type, each on its own quantum stockpile, after I get it inside in the quantum stockpile with all the woods I was thinking of setting up individual tracks to pick one type of wood and dump it further down another hole on its type specific wood stockpile...

Here is where things get kind of messy, setting up 31 mini tracks all picking a particular type of wood from the same quantum stockpile, so the wood types can be dumped in their individual holes...

I was thinking in a way to simplify this... and wondered can I set up more than one route to use the same track system? for instance, a Willow route, with it's own cart assigned that will only pick up willow logs from the quantum wood stockpile, then auto-dump in one of the stops along the route and skip the stops that don't belong to that route?

or the moment it goes by the first auto-dump track stop, even if it's not part of that route will it auto-dump anyway?

Edit:  just tested this, the moment the mine cart steps on an auto-dump track stop it dumps everything even if the stop is not on the specified route...

as a matter of fact you can set-up a route with only 1 stop where it picks up stuff from a stockpile, then push it, and have it auto-dump on another stop (without designating the dumping stop in the routes menu), it seems it's only required for when you want dwarves manually unloading the cart into another stockpile (what's the fun on that! :P )

so it seems the only way is to set-up 31 mini tracks...

Is there a non-manual (dwarf labour) way to fill a mine cart? like dropping items through a hole which has a mine cart at the bottom...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:13:54 pm by Kaos »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 06:24:50 pm »

By the way track stops can only be constructed, right? no way to carve those on stone?

Yes, and for a very important reason: track stops must be built on top of tracks. They can't be placed on the end of them.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 06:36:00 pm »

to sort wood into quantum stockpiles...

set up a track as many spaces long as you have wood types, make each quantum stockpile adjacent to the track, and put a track stop set to dump to the stockpiles on each square of the track.

On the OTHER side of the track, make a single stockpile that your unsorted wood is delivered to

now, in hauling, define to move to the next stop every day (or every couple days, may need some tuning), and to take only the type of wood associated with the quantum stockpile that is next to the stop

now, when the cart is at the stop, the logs associated with the quantum stockpile opposite the stop will be transferred to the cart, and when the cart is moved the logs will be dumped onto it.

In theory.

--edit--

╞═══════════╡ <= track to length

Then

============= <= Individual quantum stockpiles
╞═══════════╡

Then

=============
≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡ <= all the track stops D:

Then

=============
≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡
============= <= feeder stockpile to sort from

I recall something about guiding carts needing extra space, so there might need to be a square between each track stop and pile to make it work.

= = = = = = =
≡═≡═≡═≡═≡═≡═≡
=============
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:46:38 pm by Reese »
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 07:29:42 pm »

<snip>
I initially though of something like this but the problem is that if I load a cart with all the different woods then have a dwarf guide it to every stop along the line (no auto-dump) the dwarf would have to unload the specific types of wood on every stop's specific stockpile, so in your design it will unload only 1 unit of wood in every specific stockpile, instead I want quantum stockpiles of every type of wood...

I'm testing a new design, it involves:
1 track tile with,
1 track stop on it, set to auto-dump in
1 hole on the ground,
1 mine-cart assigned to
1 Route for every type of wood, set-up with
1 route Stop to load the specific type of wood from the main wood stockpile and immediately dump it down the chute into
1 quantum stockpile for that specific type of wood

basically the dwarf grabs the specific wood from the main stockpile and puts it into the mine-cart, which in turn automatically dumps it down the chute since the loading stop is also set to auto dump, you don't even need to set up any conditions on the route stop, only the stockpile it will take from and the specific type of wood you want for that chute, down the chute is another stockpile (locked behind a door) that can be used by workshops selectively allowing you full control of what kind of wood to use..
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:31:16 pm by Kaos »

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 07:48:58 pm »

<snip>
I initially though of something like this but the problem is that if I load a cart with all the different woods then have a dwarf guide it to every stop along the line (no auto-dump) the dwarf would have to unload the specific types of wood on every stop's specific stockpile, so in your design it will unload only 1 unit of wood in every specific stockpile, instead I want quantum stockpiles of every type of wood...

You misunderstand, this takes advantage of the fact that a cart loaded on a dump stop will dump whatever is loaded when it is moved, you dump into a universal stockpile on one side of the track, and each stop on the track pulls only the log type you want for that quantum pile, when the cart is moved to the next stop (on a timer that ignores how full the cart is) it dumps its load of a single log type onto the stockpile associated.

You never load the cart with all the types of wood at once, only with one type of wood at a time; each stop takes from the same pile and then quantum dumps into the sorted piles.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 09:35:37 pm »

What he's saying is that Stop one, which isn't on a dump, is set to desired wood Willow. It's pushed from stop one to stop two, with a dump between them. Stop Two is set to desired Oak.

Dwarfs will only load the desired items, meaning when the cart moves from one stop to the next, it's only full of the wood types you want sorted out. That means you don't need an individual stockpile for it to be hauled too, just on the receiving end.

Personally, I'd build your workshops two z below the surface, and place the stockpiles at the bottom of a channeled hole. That way you'll end up with the workshops and stockpiles separated both from each other, and from the dwarf doing the work, that way it minimizes the chance that Urist McCarpenter gets bonked on the nogging by a cart load of logs.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 10:36:27 pm »

<snip>
You misunderstand, this takes advantage of the fact that a cart loaded on a dump stop will dump whatever is loaded when it is moved, you dump into a universal stockpile on one side of the track, and each stop on the track pulls only the log type you want for that quantum pile, when the cart is moved to the next stop (on a timer that ignores how full the cart is) it dumps its load of a single log type onto the stockpile associated.

You never load the cart with all the types of wood at once, only with one type of wood at a time; each stop takes from the same pile and then quantum dumps into the sorted piles.
Yes, I misunderstood you, :P the design I'm testing now has a similar approach, I also use the load on dump stop, but instead of using 1 cart and connected tracks I basically have 1 tile tracks with a loading/dumping stop and 1 cart on each station, so I spend more resources in building mine carts, and have to set more routes (instead of 1 route and many stops) the only thing I don't do is having it moved on a timer (since my mine carts don't move at all), I guess the only advantage of mine is that as long as there is wood on the main stockpile the hauler can simply haul to whatever station he feels like, yours is more scheduled, under certain circumstances it might have to wait for a whole round trip to stock a sorted stockpile, or spend time waiting in a stop for an unavailable wood type, mine can deliver wood to any stop station as long as there is wood to be delivered, but is subject to the randomness of the hauler's behaviour...

Your approach would be even better if you could make it so without the waiting period, like stop 1, get 1 wood, dump, move to stop 2 and so on, the cycle would go faster than to say 1 day waiting (the minimum), though I'm not sure if it can be done like that...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:42:00 pm by Kaos »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 11:59:18 am »

You could just set immediately always.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 04:37:29 pm »

<snip>

Yes, I misunderstood you, :P the design I'm testing now has a similar approach, I also use the load on dump stop, but instead of using 1 cart and connected tracks I basically have 1 tile tracks with a loading/dumping stop and 1 cart on each station, so I spend more resources in building mine carts, and have to set more routes (instead of 1 route and many stops) the only thing I don't do is having it moved on a timer (since my mine carts don't move at all), I guess the only advantage of mine is that as long as there is wood on the main stockpile the hauler can simply haul to whatever station he feels like, yours is more scheduled, under certain circumstances it might have to wait for a whole round trip to stock a sorted stockpile, or spend time waiting in a stop for an unavailable wood type, mine can deliver wood to any stop station as long as there is wood to be delivered, but is subject to the randomness of the hauler's behaviour...

Your approach would be even better if you could make it so without the waiting period, like stop 1, get 1 wood, dump, move to stop 2 and so on, the cycle would go faster than to say 1 day waiting (the minimum), though I'm not sure if it can be done like that...

Quite so. I based my design on the assumption you don't want to be carving a billion mine carts, but it's also going to take time for the cart to rotate between stations.  It's really a question of saving time vs. saving resources.