Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87409 times)

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
Re: gateivory, a bloody hole in the ground (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #900 on: June 29, 2013, 12:23:04 am »

Magma Mist is the legendary substance.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:25:01 am by Valrandir »

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: June 30, 2013, 01:22:52 am »

Ive nearly finished the carving of an impulse elevator.

After a few tests on maps of my own (since i'd never build an entire spiral ramp before), i discovered that the cart would perpetually derail itself, get slammed up a few stairways, drop items, and generally not work very well.

So, ive been building an impulse elevator to solve the problem.

Impulse generators are an... advanced type of construction, that takes some weird logic to figure out. It turns out that if you derail a cart onto a track (think of a cart running from a straight piece onto a curve, facing the other way), the cart actually gains the rough equivalent of 1/5 of the force of being dropped down a Z-level, except slightly more. This design allows for a sort of "Charge" to be build up in the cart, and you can shove the cart up ramps this way. Think of it as one of those linear generator rides, building up speed until they rocket up into the air, then fall down backwards.

However, that is just for a straight linear generator. I built an elevator. Derailing onto an upwards ramp's track gives you slightly MORE energy than it costs to go up said ramp. As a result, I can get the cart to move up a theoretically infinite number of levels, without being fast enough to dump it's contents.

Going down is pretty simple, just a spiral ramp that has some MASSIVE breaks at the bottom, but going up required an... interesting approach.

The best part? Zero power consumption.

No maintenance, no worries. Just dont touch the elevator shaft.

Fancy maths:

Energy gained by derailing and hopping back onto an upward ramp track: 5000 units
energy lost by going up a ramp: 4910 units
Energy lost by going on 2 track pieces: 20 units

Net Energy Gain: 70 units per level

Aint dwarven physics grand :)

Ill have some gameplay stuff tomorrow (been having a busy week and ive been designing this in my... spare... time.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:39:14 am by bp920091 »
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: June 30, 2013, 04:47:12 pm »

Labor Reorganization!

For some reason, a previous overseer decided to give... every role to every dwarf in the fortress. While this sure does increase productivity in a small, self contained fort with few dwarves in it, we don't fit that role. In fact, everyone was unassigned to EVERY skill, then manually reassigned to the skills that they are best suited to (it was a little weird for some dwarves, as they had no previous experience at these tasks, but they have the inherent talent for them, which is important).

Next up, we dont have enough military members (more specially axedwarves), so i am filling the axedwarf squad with some... interesting picks (no pun intended). The squad now has dwarves with zero military experience in it, but that's not what i chose them for.

As guardians for the fortress, they need to be able to heal quickly. As a result, that's pretty much the ONLY thing that they are selected for. Agility? that can be taught. Strength? that can be worked towards. Speed? that can be gained. The ONLY thing that cannot be taught is the natural healing of the dwarven body.

Finally, a method of getting minecarts down to the forges has been designed. It's just a gigantic drop (31 levels to be precise), before landing on a ramp and skidding across 7 brakes (5 maximum strength, 2 powerful). It ends up slowing it down to nearly a complete stop (but not quite). Minecarts have a maximum speed of 270,000 units, and the maximum strength brakes slow it by 50,000 units, while the powerful brakes slow it by 10,000 units.

12th Slate:

Dwarves keep trying to get some clothes in the lower caverns, see a snail-man zombie that's stuck on a ledge, panick, drop what they are carrying, and run away, before going and doing it all over again... i need to get that fixed.

24th Slate:

The downwards shaft for the mincarts is complete, and the elevator is half complete (digging wise).

Additionally, the waterfall generators have been dug out, but the miners never got around to actually finishing the power generators FOR the waterfall generators. Oh well, at least we can get them all ready before they get power given to them. Five waterfall generators will be constructed, with three 90 urist generators providing the power for them. They will be entirely self contained, with a gear room to stop the waterfalls when needed.

Someone got rid of my danger room, and i cannot build a spear trap in the old one (honestly, dunno why, dwarves keep suspending it and not telling me why. All the doors are unlocked). So, im making another one, with the dumping of training spears outside of it (to speed up the process).
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #903 on: June 30, 2013, 08:32:06 pm »

You Sir, are certainly a learned dwarf.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: June 30, 2013, 10:05:36 pm »

You Sir, are certainly a learned dwarf.

What? arent impulse generators common knowledge?

Impulse generators

It does help that i play a lot of openTTD in my spare time, so i basically learned all about track automation/maximization from that.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 01, 2013, 06:39:49 pm »

Finally, a method of getting minecarts down to the forges has been designed. It's just a gigantic drop (31 levels to be precise), before landing on a ramp and skidding across 7 brakes (5 maximum strength, 2 powerful). It ends up slowing it down to nearly a complete stop (but not quite). Minecarts have a maximum speed of 270,000 units, and the maximum strength brakes slow it by 50,000 units, while the powerful brakes slow it by 10,000 units.
nothing dangerous or out of the ordinary here.

Dwarves keep trying to get some clothes in the lower caverns, see a snail-man zombie that's stuck on a ledge, panick, drop what they are carrying, and run away, before going and doing it all over again... i need to get that fixed.
yup. the message spam between the spam of my dwarf making masterpiece engravings kept me company during my turn.

(honestly, dunno why, dwarves keep suspending it and not telling me why. All the doors are unlocked)
thats because its packed with so much loose gear the dwarves cant find the floor. as for why it was taken apart, the reasons are; I didnt want to use it, I didnt like the sight of all those dwarves packed into it, and for the story narrative.

its not completely gone though, occasionally you might catch a dwarf standing in the halls around where it was training I think. I have a hard time with military organization so Im not much good with any aspect of that part of it. to get them away from the room I just removed the spikes, and removed any activity zones it had on it. during my turn, the already danger roomed soldier managed to train up one of the non-legendary soldiers enough for him to attain hammerlord status. I believe that hammer dwarf may still be alive too.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:43:57 pm by saltmummy626 »
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 02, 2013, 02:44:31 am »

nothing dangerous or out of the ordinary here.

Actually, since the ONLY part that i even ALLOW dwarves to touch is the initial push of the minecart and the final product, it's quite safe. The tracks themselves are marked as RESTRICTED traffic zone, and numerically speaking, it's a lot quicker to use the stairs. Im also using a simple impulse generator to provide the power needed for the horizontal movement (the shaft is about 50 tiles away from sand that wont flood the base.

This is actually the saner of the ideas that i had for minecarts. I designed cart railguns in forts of my own, flinging water hard enough to pulverize bears (seperating head and limbs from a body at 20 tiles). These produce magma mist, and are basically instant death to virtually anything that enters my fort.

Since fortifications dont impede water, the carts are behind a fortification wall, and they never actually get exposed.

The end results is this (an exerpt from a successful use in one of my own forts, HammerLaw):

This was to be Nithod's seventh assault on the mountainhome known as HammerLaw in the dwarven tongue.  Sealed off for years, the usual method of assault was to sit outside, around ramshackle campfires, and tell stories of what they were going to do to the dwarves when they arrived. It was more of a camping expedition than an actual assault, with the dwarves long having sealed themselves off.

Nithod was a goblin squad leader, and he had used this "Assault" as a high point for the troops under his command, with them looking forward to this trip for months. With the extra motivation that it provided, the goblins trained extra hard, becoming extra proficient at the skills that they had decided to master (his squad was a squad of lashers).

This year was different. It started out the same, with the best campsites being picked by the early newcomers, Nithod wandering around to find the best site that he could. As he found what looked to be a promising spot, a voice cried out in goblin "The Dwarves have left an door open, To BATTLE!"

The goblins under Nithod's command looked at him, clearly a but upset about not being able to enjoy the restful time that they expected. Neverthless, Nithod moved his goblins into an attack formation (with all goblins in a swarm and him at the lead) and slowly moved towards the voice that cried out the location.

The opening seemed strange, a hole dug into the ground, with a long straight tunnel proceeding into blackness. Nithod took point, cautiously moving towards the other end of the tunnel, his copper clad goblins feeling a mix of excitement and fear. Early experiences with the HammerLaw military force had been met with disaster, with only the most skilled of their comrades able to land a single blow upon the military, before retreating. The goblins had never actually made it inside the fortress before.

As the last of the goblins cleared the entrance, a loud "Thunk" was heard, a floodgate slamming closed behind them, plunging them into darkness. "Light the torches, Let's see these worms wriggling in the rock," Nithod said, after a moment of silence from his fellow goblins. The tunnel seemed to go on forever, and Nithod knew that there were dwarves at the end of it, due to his training and his smell (dwarves smell incredibly powerful, and an individual dwarf's scent can permeate through entire layers of solid rock).

As they moved swiftly down the hall, another loud "Thunk" was heard, with the ground in front of his squad and behind it swiftly withdrawing, leaving them trapped on a bridge.

The troops getting nervous, Nithod replied "Let them come to us, we will kill every dwarf for the glorly of Astod, our demon lord!" This did seem to calm his squad members, but inside, Nithod was nervous. Dwarves may be strange createures, but for what purpose did the dwarves trap them here. Abyss stretched in front and behind him, with solid rock on either side.

A word was heard from the end of the tunnel that chilled Nithod to his bone. "Fire!" This word came from a dwarven voice, spoken with such clarity that he was sure that he was about to be ripped apart by crossbow bolts. Yet they didnt come. No bolts rained down upon the goblins. They instead heard a strange sound, almost like a whistling in the wind, if it was combined with grinding of stone. Whatever it was, it was getting louder. The sound now remining him of a rushing waterfall, Nithod knew that something bad was coming.

As something flashed in the corner of his eye, Nithod instinctively tumbled out of the way, knowing that something was coming down the tunnel, and he wanted to avoid it. His squad members were not so lucky. As a glint of something large and seemingly liquid flashed by him, it seemed to take most of his squad with it. At least part of them.

In the instant that he was able to see, before the torches all went out, limbs were flying back, separated from their owners by a colossal force. The bodies of his now dead squad members were reduced to a fine mist, flying back with such force that he could hear the disgusting sound of splattering on the wall, far behind him. As it passed, he was covered with a strange mist. Instinctively reaching up and tasting it, he tasted only water.

"Water? How can water possibly do this" Nithod asked to his terrified squad, the two that remained. There was a stunned silence in the air, as the goblins that were swept away uttered no sound. It was almost as if the grim reaper himself had swooped in and snatched most of his squad from reality.

"FOR SCIENCE!" came a shout from down the tunnel. Truely terrified, the Nithod could only look in fear at what was to be coming. He heard the same whistling that seemed to get louder and louder, increasing in volume and intensity.

A glint of light was seen at the end of the tunnel, in the same direction as the mysterious water had come from. This glint of light glowed orange and seemed to get closer and closer. As Nithod again dodged out of the way, recognizing it for what it was, the glob of magma streaked through the air. Smashing through the chest of his two remaining squad members, it passed straight through, leaving gaping holes that were instantly cauterized.

As terrible as this was, what followed was even worse. The magma trailed a strange orange glow that expanded to fill the tunnel. As the glow approached him, he realized what it was. Magma Mist. As the mist hurtled towards him, the final thoughts going through his mind were "How is this possible, Magma Mist is supposed to be impossible to weaponize at range!" The mist reaching him, Nithod bursting into flame, screaming as his armor fused to his skin.

That strange sound was heard again, with another point of light seeming to get larger and larger. As Nithod struggled to remain standing, he surged forward, attempting to meet the mist headlong, if for nothing else, to die with hatred in his heart and adrenaline surging through his veins. The magma impacing him left little residue, nearly incinerating Nithod instantly, the Magma passing through his head.

As the tunnel lay quiet once more, a voice at the end rang out, "Complete Success. But these goblins didnt make it as far as the elves"

Yeah, put into operation successfully, a water/magma railgun borders gamebreakingly powerful. This may have been a bit of elaboration on what happened, but the combat was all real (most of the squad died in the first water attack, the remainder of the squad (minus Nithod) died in the second attack (magma), with Nithod catching fire from the resulting magma mist. Nithod died in the third attack, the magma nearly instantly vaporizing him.)

To think, this was the idea i decided not to implement (since it's totally gonna hold up in a community fort), going with an impulse elevator instead.

Ill try and have an actual gameplay update tomorrow, had a long day at work, and only felt like writing fiction tonight.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:47:08 am by bp920091 »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 02, 2013, 04:12:39 pm »

YES! SO MUCH WIN! that is goddamn cool. now if you can get it to fire blood...
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 02, 2013, 05:47:55 pm »

YES! SO MUCH WIN! that is goddamn cool. now if you can get it to fire blood...

It isn't hard, just have a dwarf who is coated in blood (or forgotten beast extract) wading into the fill tank.

Imagine that railgun, but firing face melting water. It'll get into a bloodstream (losing limbs had that side effect). I managed to get giant desert scorp venom into one of my holding tanks once. It basically fired a cone of instant death (even moreso than the plain water).

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: July 03, 2013, 05:38:29 pm »

thats even cooler. love them GDS. we have some plate mail covered in extract down in the caverns on top of the demon fort. I forbid the armors so no one would touch it.

edit: I just realized that after BP we have no players. I will take the turn if no one else steps foreward.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:19:40 pm by saltmummy626 »

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, a bloody hole in the ground (PLAYERS NEEDED)
« Reply #910 on: July 04, 2013, 10:43:10 pm »

1st Felsite:

the elevator shaft has been completely mined out, but the tracks must be constructed. Made entirely out of stone, i have drafted ten additional masons to assist with the construction.

13th Felsite:

Aban Matuldakost Rodum Lilar gave his silver war hammer a name "Nakasaran"

14th Felsite:

an elven caravan was sighted on the borders of our fortress today.

It apprears that someone built a lever in the main road (I Believe that it controls te door for the water release, but it blocks the caravans from actually reaching the fort.

19th Felsite:

The mayor has forbidden earrings for export. He wants them all to himself and refuses to share with anyone. A bit rediculous, but ive seen worse.

22nd Felsite:

Udil Zefonmemad has grown to become a child.

My reaction was "Great... more kids to take up our clothes and booze. At least we can have them collect plants from the farms.

In better news, the danger room has been completed, and the military members are resuming their training there.

Note: Im having an... interesting time getting the elevator to work. Once the cart is on the elevator, it goes up to the top, but getting it consistently TO the elevator seems to be the issue (dwarves in gateivory must have pathetically weak arms).

I might be able to solve the issue with a "Linear Accelerator" version at the beginning, but im concerned about the cart derailing BEFORE the first stage.

Seriously, i never have these issues in my own forts. Dunno why now this is happening.

As for the lack of overseers, it will probably be a week before i can finish my turn (unless i really push it).

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 05, 2013, 12:18:14 am »

Derp, fixed it. Turns out that you cant actually build a ramp where there's no actual... ramp.

See, I was not able to find a place that had a 3x3 spiral to the forges, through all of the levels. So, i had to dig 3 shafts, one per each cavern layer i was tunnling through. They are connected by a few long shafts that have a few impulse ramps to give them the oomph that they need to get to the end.

Long story short, the entire elevator is completed. All that remains is to hook it up to the sandbag gathering stockpile area, and traffic zone the entire thing off (so dwarves dont get stupid ideas about walking across tracks.

Update: i'm at work, and I just had a thought. This is basically an express route to the forges, so the melting of... Anything will be much easier.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:11:58 pm by bp920091 »

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #912 on: July 05, 2013, 03:59:32 pm »

Ahh, Good Progress Keeper™

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: July 05, 2013, 09:37:46 pm »

Yeah, despite the fact that ive had three miners that dodged minecarts, im gonna wall the actual tracks off, minus the start/end.

Strange, since one of the miners has been missing a legless for years, and he dodged a minecart going about 50 mph...

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #914 on: July 06, 2013, 10:55:30 am »

Yeah, despite the fact that ive had three miners that dodged minecarts, im gonna wall the actual tracks off, minus the start/end.

Strange, since one of the miners has been missing a legless for years, and he dodged a minecart going about 50 mph...

Legendary Crutch Walker
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 65