Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87390 times)

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, a bloody hole in the ground (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #885 on: June 24, 2013, 02:38:36 pm »

2k legwear you say :) sounds like it's melting time.

I foresee a LARGE amount of items being atomsmashed (garbage and wooden armor only) or melted. needless to say, things will be cleaner.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 24, 2013, 05:48:15 pm »

alright tsumi, sorry to hear it.

as for your stuff BP, there are only 5 soldiers left of your original military set up. there 5 are near perfect in every aspect combat wise. they are whats left after the foray into the demon fortress. they are 3 axelords, and 2 hammerlords. as for rules, one thing I noticed while I was playing was a great deal of things blocked using the liquid function of DFhack. dont do that. if you gotta block something, do it legitimately. use a danger room only if you can come up with a good narrative for it. also atom smashers are ok.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 24, 2013, 06:18:25 pm »

Yeah, the only thing I used liquids for was to block off the river (I was down to 5-6 fps on a powerful computer, I needed to), I didn't use it for anything else (and I won't need to, now that we are actually at a useable fps).

As for danger rooms, Ill definitely make a good story to go with it (make blocking spears so routine that they turn into mechanical dwarves (good old psychological breakdown stuff)).

Of, and odds are that I'll be expanding the military  using very... odd... Recruitment methods.

Isn't there like a 3000 creature hard cap or something though? Might need to deal with that.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 25, 2013, 12:13:01 am »

Overseer's log, 1st Granite:

It all makes sense now, I have finally discovered the purpose of my journey here. It was not as i previously assumed, to open up a hole into the depths of hell, regardless of what the whispers told me, it was to make a perfect dwarf. Immune from pain, lightning fast, incredibly strong, and as resilient and unwavering in will as the slade that haunted my dreams for years. This is not a quest to make myself into that perfect dwarf, im not that vain (and i dont fit the bill), but my year as an overseer is to be focused on the betterment of all dwarves here.

In order to do so, there must be sacrifices. Must not a few be pushed through the fires of hell (metaphorically of course, we've seen the spawn of it and there's no fire) so that the result is a perfect society. The protectors must suffer so that the protected may thrive.

Not just physical pain, that can be hardened against, but psychological pain, the breaking of a spirit, that is the real quest. Dwarves have in inherent sense of individuality, a will of their own, an attachment to others. They feel pain when dwarves that they were close to die. Pain that strikes them with an incredible melancholy, often resulting in pain in others and death. These dwarves are perhaps the most dangerous when they finally snap from the pain, honed as they are, and this is why they cannot have this. While the main body of the fortress can ride an emotional minecart, up and down, the military cannot, not if the fort will survive. An essential piece to a functioning fort, this piece does not fit in a profession that spends it's trade essentially swinging from doing nothing to slaughtering hordes of invaders.

Yet there was a revelation that occurred to me in my travels. Cause enough pain, but not enough to snap, for long enough, and dwarves build up a resilience to it. At a certain point, which i have come to call the "Shattering Quotient," dwarves simply never experience unhappiness. Their inherent resilience to mental pain is so strong that they will never come across anything that will overcome it.

This my goal for the military, not a soulless husk, that was my mistake before, but a dwarf that has experienced perfection. Perfection in body, perfection in skill, and perfection in spirit. There has never been a successful result though. Something always went wrong. The tests never were right, something was always missing, as the hardening of the dwarves never allowed the training to actually stick.

That element is what i found here. The dwarves in my travels were already in their natural element, surrounded by stone with ore, with them able to forge it into the tools that they needed. There is no ore here. Oh certainly, there is metal that was brought as... offerings from outsiders, but none of it is native. There is something that dwarves need to be complete, besides stone, and that is ore. This lack of completeness that the dwarves have here is the key. This lack of ore allows them to become perfect.

The problem before was the stubborness inherent in all dwarves, which is part of what makes them so tenacious. The key here is that the dwarves have not sealed themselves shut, not complete. They are able to be overridden, taken off the natural civillan programming, and rewritten to be a guardian.

The masses also need to experience happiness however. Even if i make a perfect dwarf, it does me no good to have the fortress fall apart on itself in the process. In my talks with some of the older members of the fort, i have discovered the joy that dwarves experienced from the waterfall. The waterfall was sealed because of a LARGE number of reasons, but the happiness that it generated was real...

The solution is simple, to keep the unwashed masses happy (and to actually... wash them), artificial waterfalls will be constructed. Due to their unfortunate tendency of being... universe slowing with their powerful effect, these cannot be my elaborite designs, a series of simple generators will do.

Note: Im currently designing the waterfall generators. Im still not sure as to whether or not i should go with a perpetual motion generator, or a series of windmills. Windmills will need to be... substantial.. to power what i have in mind. Part of the qualification is to make sure that it can be turned off at a moment's notice (to save FPS), which INCLUDES the generators.

Part of the issue with the dual waterwheel designs is that they will ALWAYS lose some water, unless nearly perfectly constructed, meaning that to create a generator that never has to worry about maintenance, a sealed waterwheel pair will be needed.

Let me know what you want, waterwheels or windmills (oh, and im also planning on building a glass tower, the kind that dwarves live in luxury in, if i can get the damn facilities set up properly. Imagine a skyscraper, but for dwarves. Estimated blocks needed = 328 per level, and im planning on at LEAST 10 levels, so.... 3280 blocks. That'll keep us busy :) 18x18 tower, 10 stories high?)

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #889 on: June 25, 2013, 08:46:02 am »

Being a succession game, its best to go for windmills as they requires less maintenance to keep on running.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: June 25, 2013, 04:22:15 pm »

the glass shouldent be too hard. there is plenty of lignite around the fort. you may have to dig some up.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 25, 2013, 05:11:30 pm »

the glass shouldent be too hard. there is plenty of lignite around the fort. you may have to dig some up.

Lignite? Why would I need that? I did get the magma forges working. And the biggest concern with glass making is the sandbags, hundreds and hundreds of sandbags...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 25, 2013, 06:36:25 pm »

Lignite? Why would I need that? I did get the magma forges working. And the biggest concern with glass making is the sandbags, hundreds and hundreds of sandbags...
I did a succession fort once where almost everything was made out of green glass. If you have the timing right, you don't need that many bags.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 25, 2013, 06:55:56 pm »

That, having enough free haulers to collect the sand (five legendary glassmakers use it so fast), and hauling the glass blocks to the top of the mountain I built it on was the slowest part when I made a green glass tower with waterfalls passing through all but the mechanical, plumbing ("spray head"), and reservoir levels.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Putting windmills on the roof worked very well, it makes them much less likely to be tampered with.
I have blueprints of it somewhere if you need more inspiration.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:08:41 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 25, 2013, 09:02:21 pm »

That, having enough free haulers to collect the sand (five legendary glassmakers use if so fast), and hauling the glass blocks to the top of the mountain I built it on was the slowest part when I made a green glass tower with waterfalls passing through all but the mechanical, plumbing ("spray head"), and reservoir levels.
Putting windmills on the roof worked very well, it makes them much less likely to be tampered with.

Honestly? not that big of a concern. Perhaps before DF2012, but with that we now have Minecarts.

A minecart can carry a GIGANTIC amount of sand bags, and powering it will only take 5 sealed generators (im going with a single pump/waterwheel combo, to ensure no water loss and to make sure that it can actually remain self sustaining).

An automated system really only needs about 5 dwarves to collect the bags, fill them with sand, and put them in a sandbag stockpile (should take about 5 movement tiles), a dwarf kicks the cart down the track (no other power needed), and it drops it's full sand bags off at the stockpile at the magma forges. Said magma forges have glass makers making glass as fast as they can (moving 2-3 tiles to get a bag, before dumping the glass block into a holder stockpile. Said holder stockpile is then emptied into mine carts, along with the now empty bags, which are then kicked up a ramp (that is powered), in a tight spiral until it reaches the top, where it slows down and drops it's glass blocks and empty bags off, before being used as a minecart in the sandbag movement.

Any hauling should take just a few steps, not hauling them up and down dozens of floors.

Downsides? it requires a LOT of bags, and a decent setup time and configuration.

Advantages? when setup properly, it can churn out THOUSANDS of blocks an hour, AND deliver them to where they are needed.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 25, 2013, 09:31:03 pm »

That, having enough free haulers to collect the sand (five legendary glassmakers use if so fast), and hauling the glass blocks to the top of the mountain I built it on was the slowest part when I made a green glass tower with waterfalls passing through all but the mechanical, plumbing ("spray head"), and reservoir levels.

Honestly? not that big of a concern. Perhaps before DF2012, but with that we now have Minecarts.
I made mine in DF2010: no Minecarts, no linking workshops to stockpiles, and over 15,000 green glass blocks.
Sand collection really was the slow part though, five legendary glassmakers in five magma glass furnaces used it faster than twice their number of haulers could bag it (let alone haul it).
I put a glass block stockpile in the base of the tower that took from the one in the forge level to get them hauled there but the masons used them faster than they were hauled to them if all the masons were working at the same time.
I could have used my ~20 refuse haulers to move them quickly but they were busy cleaning up after the first 10 years of goblin sieges at the time to improve FPS.
It turned out well in the end.
I only had one small issue with the amount of water the waterfall outlets put out at first, it was more of a drowning chamber than a mist-generator before I fixed it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:04:07 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 25, 2013, 10:20:44 pm »

Still designing btw, ill have pictures tomorrow.

I made mine in DF2010: no Minecarts, no linking workshops to stockpiles, and over 15,000 green glass blocks.
Sand collection really was the slow part though, five legendary glassmakers in five magma glass furnaces used it faster than twice their number of haulers could bag it (let alone haul it).
I put a glass block stockpile in the base of the tower that took from the one in the forge level to get them hauled there but the masons used them faster than they were hauled to them if all the masons were working at the same time.
I could have used my ~20 refuse haulers to move them quickly but they were busy cleaning up after the first 10 years of goblin sieges at the time to improve FPS.
It turned out well in the end.
I only had one small issue with the amount of water the waterfall outlets put out at first, it was more of a drowning chamber than a mist-generator before I fixed it.

Excellent idea, but the key with my waterfall generators is that they dont really... follow the laws of physics, they break the conservation of matter (not energy). They are 100% self contained (minus the power), and if the power does cut out, the water simply does not go anywhere, and sits ready to go, in the bottom of the generator.

Imagine two screw pumps on top of each other, with the top one sucking out the water that gets put out by the bottom one. Exactly one tile of water is used, no water will EVER spill from the unit (since water falls STRAIGHT down until it hits a 7/7 water block, or has somewhere else to go.

Essentially, the water only has 4 actual locations it can be (minus the positions INSIDE the pump),

1. Holding "Tank" 1x1 tile, filled with 7/7 water, with a grate above it (to prevent morons from falling in
2. on the backside of hte first generator, with no place to go
3. on the front of the top generator, with the only way to go as down
4. in front of hte bottom generator (falling down), into state 1.

Zero water loss, able to turn off with the flip of a switch, and only 20 power consumption (minus the consumption from hooking it up to a power source)

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #897 on: June 26, 2013, 11:35:05 am »

IC> These are good architecture blueprints!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 26, 2013, 06:21:57 pm »

Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 28, 2013, 05:49:58 pm »

always be magma... ing.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 65