Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87583 times)

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #735 on: March 19, 2013, 11:34:47 am »

Oh, the glorious river project. Enjoy!
(And no need to thank me for the dead nobles. The unneeded weights of society sunk during my turn while the miners learned to swim. It was swim or sink.)
Yes, it is "a bit" chaotic. Make sure the little lemmings do not keep walking down to their watery deaths.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 19, 2013, 11:39:09 am »

good luck celestialjeu! Hopefully the pace will pick up from here.

celestialjeu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 19, 2013, 03:56:33 pm »

So I've been playing for a bit. Here are my first thoughts.

-Good God what is this place...
-There is a melancholy yak in the river
-I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON
-We have 65 Dwarves. 1 is a baby. 5 are children.

Edit:typo
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:12:37 pm by celestialjeu »

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 23, 2013, 11:52:57 am »

Hey, no rush, just wondering if anything happened?

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 23, 2013, 03:55:10 pm »

well, celestialjeu did say that he was going away for a week on thursday. so, we put it to a vote. do we skip him? or take a week long break until he returns so that he can start his turn then?
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

celestialjeu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 24, 2013, 08:09:14 am »

So sorry guys! Didn't get a chance to send you all the upload link before I left. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7494

I had a massively uneventful turn (it was super weird). Wrote this up on the train. I'll go back and insert some of the screenshots I took when I get home next Saturday.

So here goes:

12 Granite, 46
I have been told that I have been handed the role of overseer. Looking at these past few years I fear the responsibility may kill me. The previous overseer Scruffy has drained the river bed and given us access to the hundreds of items trapped beneath the waters. This looks like it's going to be an organizational nightmare.

13 Granite, 46
I have established myself as bookkeeper to keep better track of the items we're pulling up from the river. I've ordered every person available to haul things up from the waters. The levels are still dropping. Hopefully it will dry out soon.

14 Granite, 46
Some migrants arrived today. Fools. I immediately set them to work hauling goods.

15 Granite, 46
I've gone around and looked at all of the stockpiles and workshops. I've gotten rid of the massive stone stockpile. I've also moved the mason, and crafts dwarf workshops into the fortress. Doesn't make much sense to have them outside. And I've told the workers to stop churning out statues. Why do we have so many statues?

17 Slate, 46
We continue to pull goods up from the riverbed. Our broker has been brought to the hospital. I have no idea what happened to him and he isn't talking about it.

24 Slate, 46
It has dried out a great deal more. The ghost of one of the dead merchants has risen and is haunting our broker. That poor dwarf.

2 Felsite, 46
A kangaroo has escaped from somewhere. This place constantly confuses me.

13 Felsite, 46
The Elven caravan arrived today. We'll offload as many of our useless goods on them as possible. It has been very calm recently. It feels like it may even be too calm.

15 Felsite, 46
Another thief came in today. They are coming in through the dried river bed. I've ordered a wall to be built.

19th Hematite, 46
More migrants have arrived. Things are not going horribly. I fear being too hopeful but perhaps peace has come to Gateivory.

22 Galena, 46
More merchants. Giving them more of our useless goods.

26th Galena, 46
More thieves. I am surrounded by idiots. There is nothing dangerous about the river bed. They need to build to the wall faster.

7 Sandstone, 46
Yet more migrants. Life is good.

11th Timber, 46
Yet more merchants. There are so many goods to sort through. I think it would be nice to move my office out of the dining hall. I need peace and quiet to sort through all of these goods.

14th Timber, 46
The new offices are completed. I've had a statue put in my office to remind me of our painful past.

17 Timber, 46
I must have bones. Metal. Rough gems. Tanned hides. Rock. Cut gems. Rough gems. I need them. I must have them.

25th Timber, 46
Puppy bones good. Good. Yes. But it isn't enough. There are more things that I need. I MUST HAVE THEM.

27th Moonstone, 46
I have everything I need now. I can begin. All of the things that I need. Finally....

29 Moonstone, 46
I have completed Snakeboot the Droplets of Respect a puppy bone short sword. I love it. I adore it. I have never felt so completed.

14 Opal, 46
The new set of jails have been completed. I've instated a new Captain of the Guard and work on their chambers has begun.

24 Obsidian, 46
 Most of the goods have been pulled from the river, so it is time to reinstate the military. We are coming to the close of an absurdly peaceful year but I fear the future will not always be so calm. A military will be necessary for the future.

28 Obsidian, 46
We are coming to the close of this peaceful year. I've decided to decorate the trade depot and the dining hall in celebration. Let us show our prosperity to all of the world!

So yeah. That was my year. I seriously don't know why it was so peaceful. It's probably for the best considering we had no military and needed everyone to haul shit. I streamlined quite a lot of the stockpiles although there is probably more work to be done with all that. The FPS was AWFUL. There were times when I was operating at 5 FPS. Awful. I used DfHack to clean everything in an attempt to raise the FPS but it didn't help all that much. There are some walls that need to be finished in the riverbed. One is to stop invaders and the other is to stop idiot dwarves from falling down the waterfalls and drowning. I got really worried for a bit that we had a vampire because people kept on disappearing but it turns out they were just drowning.
I've made one dwarf into a nurse because there were a couple people in the hospital and one in jail and I don't want them to starve to death. But yeah. Good luck to whoever plays next. I seriously doubt it'll be anywhere as peaceful as mine!

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 24, 2013, 01:28:11 pm »

ah, well... bravo celestialjeu for a completed turn! I will PM the next in line.

aw... you cleaned all the blood and vomit... ah well. I think the FPS issues are down to the river actually. if you can stop it from flowing altogether, it should cease to be a problem. redirecting it was clever, but the FPS hit is terrible. micemicemice is our next player, can he do something about it? tune in next time to find out in the exciting adventures of GATEIVORY!

[edit]
also, a puppy bone sword. this makes me both happy and incredibly sad at the same time. hm.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:38:04 pm by saltmummy626 »
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 24, 2013, 03:57:22 pm »

tobad for you but good for the fort nothing happend. i'm going on holliday from next friday till sunday 7th of april so if my turn comes up, i can start from the 8th the soonest
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 24, 2013, 04:04:10 pm »

26th Galena, 46
More thieves. I am surrounded by idiots.
Surrounded by idiots. That is what my overseer thought for the whole year. Seems like some things do not change.

A shame for such an uneventful year but it is great to have people completing turns again.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 24, 2013, 08:52:11 pm »

I'll see what I can do about the river, I generally don't have any fps issues even with large maps so it shouldn't be hard to work with.
edit: I'll start playing sometime this afternoon, expect first updates in +/- 12 hours.
edit: still here, just delayed playing slightly by personal stuff
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:16:22 pm by MiceMiceMice »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 28, 2013, 10:26:58 pm »

mice, where you go?

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 30, 2013, 11:19:52 am »

Sorry, schoolwork took the priority during the week :(
I'll have most of the year up today.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 30, 2013, 10:01:02 pm »

Pictures will be added in a bit.

Journal of MiceMiceMice, 5th and 14th overseer of Gateivory.

11th Granite: The medical dwarves finally got around to transplanting my brain into a new body today. Ungrateful wretches, it’s almost like they didn’t want to pull out the brain of one of their friends and replace it with mine! Luckily the body I possess, that of a miner, was only a passing acquaintance with two people.

12th Granite: I heard the strangest thing today; absolutely nothing dangerous, terrifying, disastrous, or fort-destroying has happened this last year. This seems a strange difference from when I was last active.

13th Granite: Some idiot decided I should be overseer again! Something about the plump helmets predicting my return…… I am concerned for his well-being.
In other news, there is a potter chained in his room. I have no idea why, and no one will tell me anything. I’ll leave him alone for now.

15th Granite: A dog is drowning in the river underneath the original river. I don’t remember that being there before. In order to improve fortress defense I have ordered a canal dug to seal off one side of the fort.

20th Granite: The mayor decided to go swimming, looking for something or other. I have commanded that no one else try the same.

24th Granite: Our mayor is no longer with us. How sad.

26th Slate: “Some migrants arrived, despite the danger.” What danger? You mean the trolls trapped in little holes in the wall? We now have 63 fine residents.

11th Felsite: An elven caravan from Paciliafecici arrived today. Perhaps they have wild beast to add to our collection.

23rd Felsite: Our broker successfully relieved the elves of a giant mosquito and a giant eagle. They have been added to the anti-invasion war dog cage.

25th Felsite: My new invasion killing machine is now complete. All that remains is to charge it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

6th Hematite: Lokum Lilumsakzul, an armorer was possessed today and claimed a workshop. Hopefully something useful will come of it.

15th Hematite: The armorer made something useful! A miracle. It is called Tangakatol, a silver left chain gauntlet. In other news, there is a dog in my invention. I have no idea how it got there.

27th Hematite: Our mayor decided we can’t export any earrings. No idea what else we would use them for.

6th Malachite: More migrants. More useless migrants.

25th Malachite: A giantess has come. Hopefully our military will make short work of her.

1st Galena: Our military easily killed the giantess without casualties.

12th Galena: Some giant beast has appeared underground. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with it, hopefully it will go away if we ignore it. A human caravan also arrived today, but for some reason decided to leave.

4th Limestone: I decided to test the new device. Results were acceptable, though I overestimated the power of water pressure.

8th Limestone: It took 4 days for the floodgates to close again. Only one unlucky woodcutter suffered any injury.

10th Limestone: A brave metalcrafter rescued the injured dwarf, who was swept down into the dry riverbed by the force of the water.

2nd Sandstone: An engraver was possessed by Iteb Omvulcar, and proceeded to sit in the zoo throwing a tantrum.  Also, Kol Sibrenkanas was taken by a mood today. He claimed a mason’s workshop.

6th Timber: Kol Sibrenkanas finally began a mysterious construction.

10th Timber: A pyllite door. How…useful.

17th Timber: Another caravan bypassed our “inaccessible site.” Weaklings can’t brave a bit of danger to reach the depot.

27th Timber: A kobold thief was spotted today, but ran away before stealing anything.

10th Moonstone: A liaison from the mountainhomes arrived today. I ordered a large number of metal bars for next year.

13th Opal: Someone was possessed again, but immediately calmed down. I finally ordered a memorial for Iteb Omvulcar erected.

21st Obsidian: Another kobold thief. Finally something to break the monotony of life.

1st Granite: At last my year as overseer is at an end. Hopefully the next year will be as uneventful as this last was.

Notes: Not a whole lot happened, other than gathering up stuff into stockpiles. The giant entrance flooder does work, but results in a pretty large decrease in fps (25->9 for me). The river to the north is feeding into the caverns undergrounds, I’m not sure how that happened but it is cause a bit of fps drop.

Save is up: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7523
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:50:03 pm by MiceMiceMice »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 31, 2013, 05:17:43 pm »

>:|
This is not acceptable! WHERE IS THE BLOOD AND THUNDER!? WHERE IS THE FLASHING OF STEEL AND THE SNAPPING OF BREAKING BONES!?
WHERE ARE THE GREENSKINS!?!?
A storm is brewing over gateivory. it may brew for a while, but the greater the low, the greater the blow.

ah well, thank you mice, next up is Will_Tuna.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:20:55 pm by saltmummy626 »

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 01, 2013, 09:46:53 am »

Yeah, I was really upset we didn't get any invasions! I wanted to try my lag inducing invasion-crushing water reservoir. Ah well, good luck Will_Tuna, may your year be full of !!FUN!!. I'll finish putting up pictures later today.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 65