Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87544 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #675 on: January 27, 2013, 03:28:39 am »

Clearly the dwarves saw the lever as a sock hanging device.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:29:40 pm by flameboy99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 27, 2013, 02:14:14 pm »

Excellent first update, it has been quite entertaining so far. I'd swear there was a lever for that floodgate somewhere, maybe in the mass tomb? Anyway, good luck, make sure you don't seal anyone outside the fort by mistake.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 27, 2013, 06:12:11 pm »

Mass tomb, which one? I count no less than 4 mass tombs, not counting the goblin burial pit (also known as the garbage dump).

Also, what is our policy on fastdwarf, I haven't been using it thur far, but it would really speed up the cleaning process. (I have been using seedwatch though, it just makes managing food/seeds SO much easier (automatically enables/disables seeds for cooking depending on how many you have), and i'm wondering if any other hack tools are acceptable)
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 28, 2013, 06:53:13 am »

I wouldent use that unless you have a real serious bug on hand to sort or something. if the lever your looking for is the one im thinking of, its at the top of the main staircase above the workshop column.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 30, 2013, 07:26:49 am »

ugh, sorry for the delays, the next update should be up within the next 24 hours (RL has gotten insanely busy :()

Update Preview:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 01, 2013, 09:56:59 am »

ugh, sorry for the delays, the next update should be up within the next 24 hours (RL has gotten insanely busy :()

Update Preview:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Exactly what I did, minus the magma. Keep up the good work!
Did you build a pump stack or equivilant? Otherwise it seems a bit inefficient.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 04, 2013, 11:09:19 am »

sorry BP but we kinda gotta have that update/ save file. if you cant provide them by... tomorrow, we will have to skip. if you we have to skip you, I can put you on the end of the list if you want.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 05, 2013, 07:09:54 am »

Ugh, i have had SO many problems this week, from the save getting corrupted (I create a seperate save every update to prevent confusion), to family issues, to being incredibly busy at work, to dealing with social problems... Yeah, i could only finish a month in the game (It was a REALLY productive month though, forges started working, stuff got cleaned, ect).

Only problem with the timing was that it always was last minute, so it would look as if i would have an empty evening, then something BIG would come up, then i would barely get 2-3 hours of sleep before doing it all over again, which was why i never said much (I always assumed that i could do a major update in the evening... then something happened, repetitively)

In a couple of weeks, i will actually have the time to participate in a succession fort again :(

In fact, the only updates on the forums that i have done at all were updates to my own thread that i started (During my work, on a computer that i CANNOT put DF on.

End result, 1 month in, the save is uploading as i type.

Kick me to the back of the list if you want.

Link to the save

Now, to get 2 hours of sleep before another 16 hour day (I bet im gonna get at least 4 hours of sleep tomorrow, yay)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:24:06 am by bp920091 »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 05, 2013, 10:27:55 am »

thank you BP, sorry to have to rush you along like this. next up is minethatcrackers.

notes on fortress after BP's turn.
the mausoleum is VERY cool.
the fortress is "clean" as in a lot of the loose crap is sort of cleaned up. it still looks like a seizure inducing color storm though.
we have a lot of caged goblins and a lot of doors.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 05, 2013, 11:34:13 am »

the mausoleum is VERY cool.

we have a lot of caged goblins and a lot of doors.

Yeah, that wasnt me. It was like that when i got here...

I more focused on efforts to get the river cleaned up ASAP (as we have nasty luck w/ sieges, and i luckily had a month w/o any sieges).

No more deaths occured on my turn.

Also, ive been digging out areas for mass graves as the current 4 are already full.

That hole next to the refuse stockpie up top is designed as a trash chute (toss refuse down there, easy access to main hallway, air access (no miasma)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 05, 2013, 03:42:04 pm »

so wait, a game month? or a game season? one in game month is... almost nothing. an in game season seems like a reasonable time to get all this done.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 05, 2013, 05:19:13 pm »

so wait, a game month? or a game season? one in game month is... almost nothing. an in game season seems like a reasonable time to get all this done.

Yes, 1 ingame month.

I micromanage the crap out of my dwarves.

BP's 10 Steps To Organization:
1. disable all jobs (disregard for kitchen/still if you have less than 1 season of food/drink remaining)
2. forbid EVERYTHING that is not DIRECTLY related to said tasks. (INCLUDING BINS)
3. Disable ALL stockpiles that do not immediately affect said cleaning (or set them to take from links only, then dont assign them any links)
4. Enable hauling on EVERYONE. (Have miners dig a series of "Holes" for fast access to the stuff)
5. Setup Interim stockpiles as a staging point (or a FOB for the military types out there) for future hauling.
6. After FOB is established, filter into existing stockpiles (Note: You may need to reorganize the existing stockpiles)
7. Re-Enable Jobs
8. Seal off "Holes"
9. Unforbid everything in the fort.
10. You now have a sealed, well stocked, and well organized fort

Also, please note that i only constructed the forges, i never actually melted down anything (yet the applicable stuff for melting may have been designated as such).

Pausing every minute and a half to micromanage said dwarves also helps a LOT (get the ones already outside to get the farther away stuff, the dwarves closer to the fort can get the closer stuff). This is also why my turns take forever, as a single month of game-time is a good 2-4 hours of RL time. You will be SHOCKED at how much stuff you can get done if you follow my incredibly detail oriented management method.

Should be in good shape for the next person though.

TBH, all the hauling was done by the 20th, maybe 21st. After that, it was all forge construction, refuse dumping, and final stockpile touches (or enough time for the dwarves that are slow to finish (We have a miner that is missing at least one leg BTW, no crutches either, so she's hopping REALLY fast, while carrying 800 pound blocks))

I EARN My +5 Legendary Organizer Role! (If not punctuality award)

In fact... if you want to integrate my lateness into canon, just say that i snapped under the pressure (failed my sanity check), and developed a case of Dissociative Amnesia, where i suddenly forgot that i actually was overseer. Organizing the whole damn fort in a month can be seen as a traumatic ordeal after all. Even better, if you add me at the end of the queue, as it can be said that i actually recovered my sanity and took over my original job as an overseer.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:48:54 pm by bp920091 »

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 05, 2013, 06:10:53 pm »

nice turn bp920091! Hopefully it will make things easier for future overseers.
On a different note, could I get whacked back on the end of the list? RL has finally quieted down enough for me to consider running the fort for a year again.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 09, 2013, 11:25:03 am »

Pre-emptive bump!
Did MineThatCrackers never say he got the save, or am I just an idiot?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 09, 2013, 06:59:36 pm »

you are not an idiot, minethatcrackers has not messaged me back concerning gateivory, so we must skip. also, my router is shot so Ill be in and out until friday. Ill still try to check in. so we skip to notquitethere.

also, yes mice I will throw you onto the list.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:02:47 pm by saltmummy626 »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 65