Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87463 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #660 on: January 23, 2013, 06:05:58 pm »

I suggest letting one of the ettins loose. Then, nobody will be left alive to drown.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 23, 2013, 06:27:29 pm »

drop the ettin in the river. then no one will drown anymore. except the ettin.

also, I updated the recent save in the OP. forgot to do it. seems bp got the right one though, so no harm done. from now on, Ill date the time the save is changed in the OP.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:32:36 pm by saltmummy626 »
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 24, 2013, 04:38:12 am »

Just finished my turn in Lakebones, Save Downloaded, ill start planning tonight.

Oh
As CoC players would say, Roll a SAN check.

I happened to play CoC back when I was in Highschool and have a trusty D-20 on my desk (I rolled a 19) btw. I do think that this fort may qualify as a Huge Construct (2d6, and i rolled them to get a 10 to see what i would get (10 sanity loss = BAD)), so i definitely dont want to miss one of those checks. (Yes, i looked that up... its been a long day)

By the way, we have plenty of metal... I dunno why, im seeing well over 100 unused bars, everything from silver to ion... (You havent forgotten about goblinite, have you?)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:08:04 am by bp920091 »
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 24, 2013, 05:14:06 am »

First, an oversight on seeing what needs to be done (Proper introduction will be done once i actually unpause the game to start). By the way, i must have stopped paying attention to this thread, but when did we decide to clean out the giant structure deep underground (that is creepily enough only about 20 levels below the massive graveyard).

Quick Fixes:

Reassigned Mayor the proper facilities (he is no longer unhappy)

Fixed the food issue (some food was not cookable, and was a final product, like cheese). Nice job on the Eggs by the way, it will make my job a lot easier.

Got rid of Stone Stockpiles (Really? I havent seen those effectively used even BEFORE stones got a proper weight. Now it takes a good 150 dwarves to keep a stone stockpile fully stocked if it's feeding the industries that it should).

Things to do:

We are CLOSED! Noone gets in, noone gets out (until we finish the reorganizing)

1. Organize Food Stockpiles (Dining room should have 1 prepared meals and 1 booze stockpile.). Put the empty barrels near the food/booze workshops, same for the raw products (Seperate them)

2. Butcher the giant voracious cave crawlers, should solve the farms problem for awhile

3. Solve the loss of a bookkeeper (a broker we can do without for now, but a bookkeeper is ABSOLUTELY NECISSARY, same for the manager. Look at dossiers and personality profiles ASAP.

4. Get to melting down what you can for weapons (keep those that are fine). Also, keep watch for the charcoal levels (we dont want to run out).

5. Dig out that LIGNITE. I dunno why it hasnt been done before, but if you cant get access to magma, and you need to smelt (or just melt) metal, use COKE. I see a good 150 of it, and that's just the stocks that are EASILY ACCESSABLE!

Oh... So THAT is what happened to the millitary... I never would have been foolish enough to attempt an assault on a fortress alone (or using ANY other method than just pouring magma down there to BURN them out).

Ive seen worse forts than this before! I can Totally get through this (Famous last words)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:16:27 am by bp920091 »
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 24, 2013, 06:37:55 am »

even with a roll of 19, YOU FAIL YOUR SAN CHECK!! take a new mental disability. a major one.

voracious cave crawlers are NOT tame, so butcher at your own risk.if anything is gonna turn gateivory into a cistern full of meat and blood, itll be voracious cave crawlers. attempt at your own risk.

yes, we do have a surplus of metal. better to throw it around a bit. Im not sure where the copper is coming from because I thought that Id used it all on serrated disks and spiked balls.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 24, 2013, 09:27:52 am »

Reassigned Mayor the proper facilities (he is no longer unhappy)
What? The mayor lives? I was certain that he had drowned after I made him dig th... erm.. I mean: great!  The mayor lives! (Darn lazy bastard with his figurine mandates)

2. Butcher the giant voracious cave crawlers, should solve the farms problem for awhile
NOO! Not Crawly and Fluffy! Atleast spare Mister Crawlford. He is a nice cave crawler and my friend.  Sometimes he bites but that is just the way he shows that he cares.  :'(

3. Solve the loss of a bookkeeper (a broker we can do without for now, but a bookkeeper is ABSOLUTELY NECISSARY, same for the manager. Look at dossiers and personality profiles ASAP.
We HAD a bookkeeper. I'm afraid to admit that he had an unfortunate accident. Poor fellow.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 24, 2013, 07:33:37 pm »

Got rid of Stone Stockpiles (Really? I havent seen those effectively used even BEFORE stones got a proper weight. Now it takes a good 150 dwarves to keep a stone stockpile fully stocked if it's feeding the industries that it should).

I won't tell you how to play, but I prefer to make one very small stone stockpile bordering the workshop that it feeds, for each workshop that consumes stone.  With 2-3 wheelbarrows per stockpile depending on the size.

I don't see the point of a central stone stockpile, though.  Or one that's more than 2 steps away from its workshop, or more than about 16 tiles in size (the 5x5 border around a 3x3 workshop).  Often I won't even make them that large.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 24, 2013, 11:22:37 pm »

Just a word on the cave crawlers, having had to deal with them during my reign. Be VERY VERY VERY careful with them, a single cave crawler can kill as many as 5-10 dwarves, even well trained military dwarves. We were lucky enough to have some very good fighters at the time, but I believe most of them have since died/lost limb(s). If you are going to do anything with them, at least do it in a sealed room. Remember also that cave crawlers have the building destroyer trait, so you need to wall them in, no just put a door there.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 25, 2013, 12:46:34 am »

yeah, cave crawlers are nasty as hell. I had unique one living in a surface cave in one fort. had a name and everything. tried to catch it, but I couldn't cuz unique critters like that have trap avoid apparently. so he just sat around in his cave killing anything that happened upon its entrance. was great when a caravan got too close. thing tore apart the guards and chased off the rest of them without an injury to its name. I imagine your plan to butcher them involves gettin them at least semi tame first.

as for stone stockpiles, I use them. I like the way they look, also they keep the dorfs busy.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 25, 2013, 12:59:24 am »

More planning... (update tomorrow). Thanks on the heads up about the voracious cave crawlers, I'll just throw them into a giant put with spikes. As for keeping  dwarves busy, we only have 51 in the fort, having idle dwarves isn't gonna be an issue.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 25, 2013, 09:58:20 am »

I would want them to be trained to murder gobbos and various other evil things (Cough elves cough), but sadly they are pet-only.  :'(
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 25, 2013, 07:36:25 pm »

If we could actually manage to train them and get one that hasn't murdered anything yet, it wouldn't matter that they are pet only. They are deadly, all we would need to do is chain them in doorways and laugh as the enemy tried to get by.
EDIT: Btw, what happened to our giant rat collection, is that still around? Cause I know we had some baby rats we could train for something.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:40:21 pm by MiceMiceMice »

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 25, 2013, 07:47:36 pm »

If we could actually manage to train them and get one that hasn't murdered anything yet, it wouldn't matter that they are pet only. They are deadly, all we would need to do is chain them in doorways and laugh as the enemy tried to get by.
EDIT: Btw, what happened to our giant rat collection, is that still around? Cause I know we had some baby rats we could train for something.
I think that there should be a wide collection of various critters (jabberers, gobbos, crawlers, rats, ..humans...) in the memorial hall or something (sorry, can't remember what it was called when first built. I just made it into a zoo)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 26, 2013, 07:51:59 am »

it was the great library. I guess its the great zoo now XD.

as for the rats, I believe they were purged (butchered) by either gulf or valrandir, or maybe it was tahujdt. I forget, but someone got rid of them.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 27, 2013, 02:22:58 am »

I thought that i should get my first update out, as it has a lot of important information in it. The next few updates should go MUCH faster, as im not planning much, just overseeing.

Journal Of Overseer Bp920091, Year 46

Introduction:

Well, me, a lowly miner, is given the task of overseeing the fort of gateivory. This should be good for a laugh. However, since i attended classes in the mountainhomes about management (keep goblins out of fort 101, elven communications (bring more cloth please) 150, and so on), i do need one more event to complete my education.

Overseeing a fort as a final project. I do enjoy both ivory and gates, so i picked the fort without bothering to check anything else about it. To my surprise, i spent the past few years as a miner, digging in a land that has no ore.

This assignment better make me a doctor, or im gonna go Berserk on that doctoral board.

1st Granite:

First thing is first, the state of our fort. All said, we arent doing that bad. We only have 51 dwarves (6 children, so its only really 45 dwarves). Food stockpiles are pretty good and armok, do we have enough food. The stockpiles that i am seeing here are enough for a years supply for a fort that has over four times out current number.

Our millitary is... Virtually nonexistent. We have 2 dwarves in it. NONE of them have any sort of millitary skills. In fact the Millitia commander is a LEGENDARY STONECRAFTER. Time to disband that militia and actually put in dwarves that are good (or that actually know which end of the spear to stick in a goblin).

After asking around the fort, i discovered that we have TWO dwarves that actually know anything about weapons (swords and spears), i put them into separate squads and told them to get to training (the rest of the fort is gonna be working around the clock)

Secondly, we are going to seal us shut until we have a good setup. A positive thing about us having a river running (2 sets or rivers actually...) through the fort is that a good 75% of the fort has the swimming skill. The downside is that we are not longer going to be able to retrieve the corpses of dwarves that are sitting at the bottom of the lower river. As a previous overseer has done already, the upper river (after the dam) will continue to drain, possibly making it useful for cropland, but the lower section will be completely submerged until we can get the upper river cordoned off.

As for hostiles, we have 2 trolls that are stuck in some random N shaped corridor filled with sharp objects. They are sealed in there, and i have no clue HOW they got in there... oh well, as long as they never leave, i dont care.

2nd Granite:

A Gem cutter made a resin opal toy axe today. It just had a bunch of stuff on it, in no real order, and didnt have anything to do with out past... Great job, continue slacking off...

Additionally, this brings me to another point. START WORKING YOU LAZY DWARVES. Since i cancelled everything except hauling (to get the largest amount of stuff inside before we seal ourselves off, we have a good 15 dwarves that were not assigned to actually haul anything. HA, HA i say, Get to work picking up crap, we are gonna need it!

5th Granite:

OH happy days, we have gotten continual reports about people finding the dead bodies of their friends and family all around the fortress (mostly in the river). Surprisingly, everyone is taking it pretty well... Perhaps they are all just numb to everything by now.

10th Granite:

Did you know, we have TWO hospitals, Even better, they are one floor apart from each other. It is faster to get to from one hospital to the other than it is to get to the dining room, from EITHER ONE!

Additionally, i had a lever connected to a floodgate that was controlling the entrance to the bottom of the fort. As i cant find the correct lever for it anywhere, i had the new one constructed. This lever, once it was pulled, GREATLY expedited the process of getting all of those random dead dwarves and random crap inside the fort.

Also, since the miners have finished digging out the lignite i designated immediately upon arriving, i asked them if they had discovered magma yet. "No, but we sure did dig pretty far down." I asked my fellow miners about the shape of the caverns, and i believe i have found a spot that allows us to tunnel straight down, through a stone column, and at least into the third cavern layer without hitting any open air.

13th Granite:

Thats a lot of bodies in the river. I have had the masons exempt from any hauling, so they can get to work on cranking out at LEAST 50 coffins.

15th Granite:

Thob keeps throwing tantrums in his room, so i have had the door locked. He will either get over it or we will never have to worry about it. In either case, he isnt bothering anyone anymore.

Also, in the interest in saving space, i have rigged a short, 3 story drop right next to our refuse stockpile, it will be a dumping ground for all of that refuse, and it will be accessable from the main hall (in case we dump something we actually need). A positive note is that it is exposed to sunlight, so no miasma!

16th Granite:

Seriously, is this "Dump your sock/shoe on the lever" day, we have no less then FIVE socks on this lever, and the area around it is CLEAN!

Also, Tulon Sakrishlogem, our current mayor forbade the export of Large Gems... As if he didnt know that we had a LOT of things we could trade for instead.

25th Granite:

As if to set an example for proper hygene, the mayor has decided to dump first in the garbage hole
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:08:34 am by bp920091 »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 65