Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87452 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #615 on: January 08, 2013, 08:46:50 pm »

HAHAHAHAHA!!! YOU ARE TRAPPED IN GATEIVORY NOW!! things got srsly fuked during gulfs turn ;).

Oh Rly? Good thing since i pretty much spend my whole time organizing forts (last one i took from an aesthetically pleasing but non-fuctional fort to a highly efficient barony). My forts i usually abandon because i have them 100% foolproof (everyone is ecstatic, usually 800+ happiness), walls of traps, broken through to the clowns (checkerboard defenses, 0 casualties, ect).

same here, most of the time. actually my main fortress death is boredom from the get go. I get my rooms dug out and infrastructure put in and I cant find anything else to occupy me. I should try mega projects...
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 09, 2013, 03:38:53 am »

HAHAHAHAHA!!! YOU ARE TRAPPED IN GATEIVORY NOW!! things got srsly fuked during gulfs turn ;).

Oh Rly? Good thing since i pretty much spend my whole time organizing forts (last one i took from an aesthetically pleasing but non-fuctional fort to a highly efficient barony). My forts i usually abandon because i have them 100% foolproof (everyone is ecstatic, usually 800+ happiness), walls of traps, broken through to the clowns (checkerboard defenses, 0 casualties, ect).

same here, most of the time. actually my main fortress death is boredom from the get go. I get my rooms dug out and infrastructure put in and I cant find anything else to occupy me. I should try mega projects...

Ive tried some pretty ambitious megaprojects (had a swirling vortex of magma in an ice cone (15 levels  of magma, all levels were swirling via pumps) ABOVE GROUND. I can only imagine what the elven traders thought of it...), but I didnt want to do one in a sucession game until the fort can handle itself for a year or two.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 11, 2013, 05:06:33 pm »

well, its been more than my usual cutoff period, so its time to cut off tahujdt. NEXT. scruffy thats you.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 11, 2013, 06:07:00 pm »

I will do my turn tomorrow
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

bezment78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 12, 2013, 07:16:41 am »

could i request a turn and dorf me as Thorin SteelShield Preferred is military and sword
oh yeah what do we do with the save

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 12, 2013, 11:59:39 am »

the save is put into the DF save folder. shouldent be a problem though cuz valrandir set it up with a client. hm. I think I forgot to do something. scruffy, tell me if the file you DL is just a save file or a whole DF client. if not, your raws will need some modification and if thats the case, ill DL the save and re-pack it with valrandirs client.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 12, 2013, 12:22:03 pm »

the save is put into the DF save folder. shouldent be a problem though cuz valrandir set it up with a client. hm. I think I forgot to do something. scruffy, tell me if the file you DL is just a save file or a whole DF client. if not, your raws will need some modification and if thats the case, ill DL the save and re-pack it with valrandirs client.
Is the the full client. What is so different in the save that it requires a different client?
Custom raws that don't work properly with graphic packs?

Edit: Hmm, the fortress is somewhat.. confusing. Levers without notes and such. (and notes without levers :P )

On an unrelated note, the very moment I saw the bottom of the canyon I got an insane idea (Scruffy McDorf is taken by a fey mood) and was thinking of making the river flow one z-level lower (but still identical route so no real fps drops) and using the dry riverbed as an enterence to the fort. Perhaps releasing the waterfall if the canyon gets overrun by uninvated visitors. Hmm.. I have to think about it. 

I'm not really used to writing this kind of journals but here goes:

Warning: Long and full of pics
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The insane caravan killed many and the siege is still waiting outside. Edit: The siege seems to have left via the river
The river should dry in a few months and the fps improve slightly. Then we should be able to loot the riverbed.  Also, the siege seems to be swimming in the river.
By the way, there is a lever that closes the new riverbed.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7308
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:09:50 am by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 12, 2013, 08:15:57 pm »

lol. so now the floodgates are double hooked up! I got notes on all the levers I hooked up, and uh dont pull the lever near the top of the craftsmans sector staircase. it floods the forge level.

we dont NEED the special client, its just that the client makes everything less of a hassle. see, when I first started this game, I failed to take into account my modified raws. specifically, three creatures I added. small and large sandcrabs, and sandworms. (most of my embarks are in deserts) and the lack of these creatures in other peoples raws tends to crash the game.

anyways, good narrative. it really gets across how the dwarves of gateivory are trying to cope with the horror of their own continuing existence.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 12, 2013, 09:12:22 pm »

...Why would you put a lever to flood the forges?!
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

bezment78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 12, 2013, 10:46:43 pm »

am i dorfed

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 13, 2013, 06:46:00 am »

The first rule of fortress craft is that there should be at least three levers that destroy the fort. The second rule of fortress craft is that these levers should be indistinguishable from all the useful levers.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 13, 2013, 07:22:34 am »

The first rule of fortress craft is that there should be at least three levers that destroy the fort. The second rule of fortress craft is that these levers should be indistinguishable from all the useful levers.
I like the way you think

Et tu, Urist

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 13, 2013, 03:41:05 pm »

Hurrah for updates! Also, there may or may not be a lever that floods all of the nobles' quarters, not sure if we ever removed it or not. Good luck to all of our future overseers!

Gulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 13, 2013, 03:55:36 pm »

...Why would you put a lever to flood the forges?!

The lever that floods the forges was the accidental lovechild of my noble hydration chamber and whomever built the forge level. I always build up/down stairways in my fortresses, so when I built the noble hydration chamber, I unwisely installed up/down stairs on its lowest level. What was supposed to happen would be that a person would pull the lever, but the fort would be safe, as the only access point to the NHC is from above the water level. However, whoever built the forge level built it directly under the NCH's lowest access stair, so whenever its pulled water floods the NHC and then flows down the up/down stairs into the forge level below. Pity the flaw was found before it caused any heavy damage, it would have added to the !!FUN!!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 14, 2013, 01:39:53 pm »

I think that I will need a few days to finish. Just completed midsummer and am too busy to play. (will post the pics later. Have plenty of them)
My turn is almost finished. Sorry for the fps implications it will cause.
Most of our miners have drowned but the remaining ones have gained a few ranks in swimming
I have too many pics (21). Will post most of them tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:53:21 pm by Scruffy »

Et tu, Urist
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 65