Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87396 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #525 on: November 26, 2012, 03:59:24 pm »

your absolutely right gulf. thats a great idea. I will retrieve my culling fork at once!
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #526 on: November 26, 2012, 10:21:25 pm »

Hi

I would like to move my turn to be after Gulf's turn.
I am too tired and to take on this now and will not have you all wait after me.

Thanks

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 27, 2012, 05:06:00 am »

all right, shifting the turns a little.

as for me, I can prolly shoot off a turn before the end of november, if the FPS hold out. if not, Ill just toss it over to gulf and take my turn after valrandir.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:08:21 am by saltmummy626 »
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 27, 2012, 05:26:45 am »

Put me down for another turn.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 27, 2012, 08:09:22 pm »

and so it shall be, tahujdt is slated for another go.

Somewhere in the dark, something moved. swirling black smoke moved around it as it moved through the gap between. a presence was calling out to it, not a summons, just raw need. The ghost of a powerful undead, for thats what it really was, moved towards a dim light in the distance. when the thing reached the light it saw that it was a window looking out on a bloody hellscape. a fortress of puny creatures had sprung up their, or maybe the bloodscape had sprung up around them? "considering that these creatures are dwarves," it thought "the prior is more likely." the call came again, a wordless signal from inside the fort. the window moved, not startling the lich in the least. he had seem many such windows and used many. the window swooped in through a doorway near a waterfall, swept through the halls where no on noticed its passage, and stopped before a dwarf, deep in thought. in one hand he held a pick spattered in the blood of cave monsters, in his other his beard which he twisted and pulled and chewed. the lich grinned. he remembered this one. how long had it been? didnt matter. the objective of the fort had not been fulfilled yet. He spoke to the dwarf, whispering his desires. the king wanted a replacement for defaced art? the lich and Brodich the dwarf would give him a library of engravings.

not so deep in the fort, Brodich sat and fretted. he had been hardened by life in gateivory, had shown great valor in combat even, but he was still a nervous creature. many years ago, he had been made a miner, it wasn't his regular job but defacing the stone with engravings wasnt much different than obliterating it with a pick. not long after, he had been enlisted in the military. an emergency squad? he couldn't remember now. he did remember the goblins, and the cave crawlers. an image of the cave crawler tearing off cave ogres arm flashed in his mind and he sneered. a dwarf nearby saw it, and decided to pick up the pace a bit with his work. Brodich chewed his beard a bit, and that was when he heard the voice. was it a voice? the urge to do as it said could not be resisted. it was something he had wanted to do, he needed to build a library. hefting his pick, he went down to the dining hall to give orders.

okay, its open and... ok. Ive got my work cut out for me. for now, im raisin the gates unless I really have to open them. someone changed the job titles on all the dwarves to "peon." which is okay. helps to sort them out.we have an excess of caged goblins, which I will try to use constructively, and a plethora of critters that I can breed. for example, giant rats and cave crawlers. Ill be separating the babies from their mothers at birth to make it easy to train them. currently food and drink are not much of an issue. we will see, we will see.

beh. managed to use up most of the doors. also, I unpuased the game and the elves arrived. what "point 11" lever do?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:38:02 pm by saltmummy626 »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 27, 2012, 08:33:51 pm »

we have an excess of caged goblins, which I will try to use constructively

Marksdwarf training. 'Nuff said.

Seriously though, we need marksdwarves for the bridges.
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 27, 2012, 08:59:58 pm »

I am genuinely happy by the number of peons we have mining. Ive givin Brodich the job title of "great librarian." unfortunatly, I am in no mood to do proper updates. I will try to make up for it by giving many details. summer ends, and the library chamber is just about finished. I may add more wings to it, also a huge room for storing the stone that is cluttering this place is almost done. gods all this stone. I might as well build an atom smasher to dispose of it... never built one before, should be fun.

Ive decided to use some of these goblins and goblin war critters as things for children to poke at in the library, we have lots of copper so im going to be frivolous with it and make some statues. artifact statue is gonna go in the library too. also, I couldent find a gem stockpile anywhere, so ive designated a few, as well as tearin down some carpentry shops. do we really need more than 10 of them?

I notice that the elves have some creatures I would like to have. a giant eagle and a mating pair of kiwi. which brings up another issue. I check the mayor/ broker/ everything, and notice that he has almost ALL labors enabled. what is this!? I dont even... damnit damnit. fuck it, Im not trading with these bastards. I REALLY dont feel like sorting through these bins of stuff and picking out the plethora of wooden goods someones been making/stealing. its the only downside to using bins. anyways, I confiscate the animals and booze. im also incredibly confused by the fact that we seem to be storing food and cloth together.

damnit! several random "peons" have ALL labors enabled. kind of annoying, but whatever. things seem to be getting done at least. faster than I could have hoped. instead of making statues, I have decided to mass produce copper disks and spiked balls. need some proper traps.

speaking of FPS crippling gore, the FPS is fine. DF is running at a smooth 51. Ive givin up on my objective of taming creatures, Ive never got the hang of it really, and all im going to do is display them. also, I have no intention of releasing voracious cave crawlers of any kind in the fort, ive lost two high teir forts to one or two crawlers getting in before, and have grown fearful of the powerful creatures. the things can be like some kind of dwarven meat grinder sometimes. I suddenly get the message that one "rigoth shovethcerol" has grown attached to his steel crossbow. good, IT WILL MAKE HIM STRONG.

bah, gateivory has become like a box of trinkets and small animals that some little kid decided to pick up, shake the shit out of, then vomit on.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:53:20 pm by saltmummy626 »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 27, 2012, 11:45:52 pm »

okay, im feeling a bit better, time for some prose.

The warm breezes of summer blew into the fort from the falls, falls that had been sealed up and shut off. Brodich struggled to find the lever that would open them back up again. the library chamber had been dug an partially cleared of loose stone, and now all that remained was to smooth and engrave the walls. beyond the void, and through a small window the undying creature grinned. He thought that all had gone well so far. as long as the benighted humans did not attack the fortress, all would continue to go well. he had given up his idea of taming goblin warbeasts when he saw what they were and what kind of undertaking it would be to do so. cave crawlers were dangerous things. The lich thought back, he had once met a cave crawler face to face. It had been a huge and battle scarred worm, devouring the contents of a farm house and its attached barn. he had talked with the thing, its uncountable legs oscillating rhythmically as it spoke to him with its simple mind. in the fort, all would be well. the dwarves would work hard clearing away unneeded furniture and workshops, time distortion had not set in, and the forts population was still manageable.

Brodich was annoyed by the elves, he was annoyed by new migrants, and he was annoyed by the fact that when asked about their profession and what their duties were, any dwarf in the fort including the mayor would respond "I am a peon, I do any job I feel like doing." like some armok damned elven commune! he was also annoyed by the fact that while the product of gateivory was of sub-par quality, the jobs that needed doing always got done. Brodich ordered the mayor slapped around and sent to the depot to trade with the tree humping elves.

The lich watched closely at the trading going on. It hated the elves, hated them worse than any creature in the many worlds, except for geese of course. the lich hated geese. he watched the sad excuse for a mayor, and decided to step in. "give them nothing." he whispered "take what they own and butcher them where they stand." the mayor stopped in his dickering. a cloud came over his eyes. he nearly called out at the images flowing into his mind, but stifled it. "Im sorry, I dont... feel well." as he left the room, he turned to the captain of the militia who had been waiting for him to emerge. "take all they have. especially the animals and booze." he said. tahu stood and waited, as if he knew what else had come to the mind of the mayor in the meeting. "get to it goddamnit!" he shouted. he was disturbed by what had come to him, vivid images of elves being flayed alive or pulled apart by oxen or thrown to the forts dogs. the lich watched with disgust. he was out of practice, or maybe the mayor had a strong will.  either way, his wishes had been ignored.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #533 on: November 28, 2012, 10:49:03 am »

Great updates!

I love the story format, its more fun to read than a list of chronological updates, and much less time consuming to write.

Is the library fully engraved with the history of GateIvory?
Was there any sieges?

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 28, 2012, 07:02:43 pm »

no seiges yet, and the library is being smoothed. I expect it to be done by the end of summer, then the engraving can be done with the rest of the year.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 28, 2012, 08:00:25 pm »

Tahu II shuddered. The mayor was most definitely not himself. He had been ordered to sieze the goods of the elven caravan, and the mayor was never one to be trifled with. The elven goods were not really worth taking, but there was always some cloth and wood. There was also drink, but most dwarves hated elven wine.

He watched Brodich, the newly appointed "Great Librarian", search in vain for the lever to open the waterfall floodgates. The sight of the dwarf running up and down the halls as if possessed, huffing and puffing, was so funny that he first wanted to prolong it indefinitely, but he began to feel sorry for the poor dwarf.
"There isn't one," he called.
"One what?" puffed Brodich.
"A floodgate control. Tahu never finished installing one."
"WHAT?"

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 29, 2012, 01:24:31 am »

oh good lord really? I already nearly flooded the fort. only chance and my neurotic need to install all those doors saved the forts lower levels. will have an update now.

Looking through the sheets of soiled parchment that were the fortresses records had forced Brodich to one conclusion. this place was all kinds of messed up. Tahu had informed him that Tahu had himself been responsible for damming the falls. ridicules idea, but it had been needed. except that it hadn't, not really. Brodich had not found a single lever to control the contraction of the grates he had installed in the first year and had found no grates either. after that, he had concluded that they had been removed. they would soon be re-installed and levers would be hooked up to both. swimming goblins would die the good old fashioned way, a nice trip over the gateivory falls. A lot of the Levers in the place had proved useless, or vaguely marked if they were marked at all. Brodich looked with distaste at an entry in his own notes. specifically the part that said "OH WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!? OH GOD WHERES THAT WATER COMING FROM!?" a lever in the main stairwell had opened an ancient floodgate and water had flowed into the fort. the doors Brodich had installed had the unforeseen side effect of stopping it before it could flood the fort.

meanwhile, the presense looked through its little window with pleasure at the traps it had coaxed the dwarves into setting up. in the forts main passage, the dwarves had been urged to build them in the floor, walls, and just for giggles, the ceiling. turning the passage into a building sized equivalent of a blender possessed by the soul of an ancient undead carp of the old world. its construction would continue of course... the lich was also pleased to find that one of the forts greatest doctors was also one of its greatest miners. the thought of the miner swinging his pick at an injured dwarf in an attempt to dig a crossbow bolt or arrow out of its body was amusing.

Brodich methodically went through the tattered shreds of paper, carefully erasing the word "peon" from the job titles of every dwarf in the fort, an also carefully assigning all the masons and miners specific jobs so that the library could be finished on time. smoothing had gone slowly and autumn was upon them. two wings had been added and cleared out, and tastefully arranged cages were placed among the shelves to serve some visual appeal. Brodich hoped that the goblins in the cages would be quite enough in the library, for shouting was not permitted in libraries and goblins did a lot of shouting. he was thinking of this when a call came down the main stairwell. "HUMANS! HUMANS AT THE GATES!"

Humans. The lich could see them cresting the hill, he could also see the dwarves preparing for battle. what he did not understand was why. these human were not some rovin band of warriors come to pillage, they were traders. The lich was not fond of humans, but he meant them no harm either. they made good armies dead or alive. again, he whispered into the ear of the dwarf who had proven to be most perceptive to his wishes. "do not kill the humans, they have not come to war with you. give them your jewels, but give them nothing more." Brodich got up from his paperwork at once, a strange urge to staunch the growing war parties.

somewhere, deep under the fort dwarves worked, they pulled at old stonework and worked with chisels removing stones that formed the floor. underneath, they found an old staircase heading deeper into the brute stone and the depths below.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:21:00 am by saltmummy626 »

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 29, 2012, 02:18:10 am »

Wonderful updates indeed. Hopefully the skip rate will go down and stay down.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 29, 2012, 02:20:00 am »

I hope to god it does. modified my last reply with the update.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 30, 2012, 03:22:12 am »

WOOOOOOOW! it took so long for the merchants to get to the depot, that when they finally got to the depot, it was time to leave. so they unpacked their stuff, then started packing it back up again and left.

before tonight's update, I will share a few of my favorite engravings. with you. no pics, Ill just right them out.

Engraved on the floor is a masterfully designed image of arstruk wantheif the goblin and Tahu II Copperwar the dwarf by Gulf Ginonmeng. Arstruk wanetheif is making a plaintive gesture, Tahu II Copperwar is striking a menacing pose. The artwork relates to the mortal wounding of the goblin Arstruk wanetheif by the dwarf Tahu II copperwar with a steel shortsword in gateivory in the early winter of 42 during Uspenetosp, the roasted seige.

engraved on the floor is a masterfully designed image of Pila boredsmile the elf by Gulf Ginonmeng. Pila boredsmile is dead. the artwork relates to the dehydration of the elf Pila boredsmile in gateivory in the early autumn of 38.

engraved on the floor is an exceptionnally designed image of thelire bookeagles the elf and thasa flickeredjade the branded gem the dragon by Gulf Ginonmeng. thasa flickeredjade the branded gem is striking down thelire bookeagles. the artwork relates to the killing of the elf thelire bookeagles by the zombie dragon thasa flickeredjade the branded gem in the hopeful hill in 7.

engraved on the floor is a masterfully designed image of Gulf sternlashes the dwarf and dwarves by Brodich sazirkor stibbomiddor zanor. the dwares are refusing Gulf sternlashes, gulf sternlashes is weeping. the artwork relates to the removal of the dwarf gulf sternlashes from the position of militia commander of the systemic urn in the early autumn of 38.

there are a lot of engravings. most of them are pictures of tahu, gulf, and brodich being being removed from the position of militia commander. also a lot of pictures of dwarves killing goblins, and that zombie dragons killing the elf. there also appears to be some kind of massive "making fun of each other" rivalry between brodich and gulf.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 65