Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87484 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore
« Reply #240 on: September 07, 2012, 06:05:57 pm »

Now wait, we have plenty of food. We're doing fine. The number of dwarf corpses and olm blood all over may indicate otherwise, but let me assure you, we're doing fine.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 07, 2012, 06:22:56 pm »

I took a mechanic, now 'MiceMiceMice' Imushbardum, Important Person. Currently there are 14 uncaged invaders, though most are pretty far away from any squishy dwarves. We are going to have a lot of stuff for target practice and exotic zoos once everything is cleaned up. On another note,the fortress has too many entrances, I counted at least three. I'm going to grate off the river access so we can get water but creatures can't get through.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm getting pretty close to understanding the basic layout so I may get an actual update tonight. We will see.
edit: oh, whoops. Been a long day :P We actually have 5 farmers, the single plant gatherer is just that, not a farmer.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:26:47 pm by MiceMiceMice »

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 07, 2012, 10:24:38 pm »

And... update! Sorry for the double post but I didn't want to put it in the same post as before. I think I'm doing sorta okay, I've only lost a few dwarves so far. Feedback on the first update would be appreciated. Too many pictures? Enjoy!
9th Granite, 40: I was just heading down to the dining room to drink a barrel or two of lovely ale when suddenly everyone started running around yelling about goblins or something. Not my job to worry about military concerns though, I’ll let it all work itself out. Suddenly from a few floors up I hear a yell. “Misko’s resigned as overseer, says to ask MiceMiceMice what to do!” Uh oh. Well, it can’t be that hard, can it?

“Everyone, do something useful!” Doesn’t help. All I see are a bunch of incompetent dwarves chasing a single goblin through the upper halls. Even our most trained elite troops are powerless before a single, unarmed goblin warrior.
(Yes this is the same goblin Misko was talking about, and yes that is 10 pages of it dodging everything. We need a better military.)
While I scream orders from my seat in the dining hall, Onol Kosothvush, one of the peons, walks in and says “Hey, I just killed an olm on the stairs cause it was in my way. I didn’t belong to any of you did it?” If we survive this she shall be made commander of the military for her strength of arm.
I’m working hard to save all our asses and what is everyone else doing? Sitting in the dining room complaining because the siege prevents them from putting stuff in the proper areas. Idiots! We’ve been fighting off goblin hordes for days and all they care about if putting plump helmets in the right barrel.

12th Granite, 40: My third day in charge and I’m ready to drop. Today a military recruit decided that it would be a great idea to go insane instead of sleeping.
I’ve ordered the military to assemble near the entrance in order to defeat the few remaining invaders.
That plan worked… poorly. Two of our genius warriors decided to engage a voracious cave crawler on their own and were struck down.

Luckily an injured herbalist lured the beast into the jaws of our dogs who injured it greatly. As it limped away, a peon smashed its head in.(This peon killed a goblin too it seems)
Why are peons the only competent dwarves in the entire fortress?
Next update should be sometime tomorrow. It takes a bit cause soooo much stuff happens and I want to record all the important stuff.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:30:35 pm by MiceMiceMice »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 07, 2012, 10:38:39 pm »

Because, it would seem, Job professions hold into military, and I didn't change it back. Awful useful, but sometimes mighty annoying.

Nice update. I love how I decided for no reason to quit in the middle of a battle.

"We've got them on the run! What to do Overseer?" 
"God, thats all you guys talk about isn't it?"
"Uhh, huh?"
"Nothing but 'fighting this', and 'we're killing that' and 'oh god everyone's dead theres blood everywhere the dead walk run for your lives wait no theres a flood blocking the way seal it off no theres goblins too ahhhh', It gets awfully boring after a while."
"What were we supposed to do?"
"I've decided to retire to baronhood, my military career has lasted long enough, and netted me enough injuries."
""But, who will we take orders from?"
"From our brave resident retired general, uh, *struggles to remember names*, how, about, MiceMiceMice?"
"O-kay *walks off*"
"Cannot believe he fell for that"

Anyway, the remaining goblins should not bother you, since their squad leader is dead, so just leave them alone for now. They'll run off, and if they don't, theres always the marksquads. If I become baron, Keep me in the military, just remember to take me out for liasons and such.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 07, 2012, 10:48:02 pm »

I wish our marksdwarves were smart enough to shoot things. One of them resorted to bashing a voracious cave crawler with a crossbow. It worked, but still. Honestly I'm more worried about the remaining cave crawlers than the goblins. They move alot faster.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 07, 2012, 10:49:15 pm »

I wish our marksdwarves were smart enough to shoot things. One of them resorted to bashing a voracious cave crawler with a crossbow. It worked, but still. Honestly I'm more worried about the remaining cave crawlers than the goblins. They move alot faster.
Yeah, but the dogs make short work of them.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 08, 2012, 01:58:50 am »

they have voracious cave crawlers? are you nuts!? those things are dangerous. im not saying the dwarves them selves aren't dangerous, but you know. its all a matter of degree.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 08, 2012, 02:22:44 am »

they have voracious cave crawlers? are you nuts!? those things are dangerous. im not saying the dwarves them selves aren't dangerous, but you know. its all a matter of degree.
yeah... So you know how we had 60ish dwarves? Now we have 38 on the 4th of slate and one crawler is still on the loose. Luckily picks are effective weapons. The next update has lots of !!FUN!!. Brodich is a badass.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:06:00 am by MiceMiceMice »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 08, 2012, 02:34:15 am »

yes! YES! I hope I can get a title soon! this calls for pictures! gimme a few days.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 08, 2012, 10:04:29 am »

Not sure if you can tell but I'm getting a weird graphics glitch that makes some letters invisible. Anyone know what causes that?

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 08, 2012, 11:02:12 am »

These updates always seem longer when I'm writing them. :P Lots of !!FUN!! Happened, hope you enjoy. Hopefully I won't have to stop every two days to write down stuff now that the siege is over. Enjoy!
14th Granite: The battle wages on. I’ve ordered our remaining military to eat something before they faint, then prepare for another assault on the few remaining enemies. Hopefully we can kill of the few remaining monsters without further loss of life. Now that the interior of the fortress is clear I’ve sent all the civilians back to work. The list of missing and dead is long but now we can return to our normal lives.
We have miasma everywhere from all the corpses. It smells awful.

15th Granite: Today I ordered our freshly fed military to attack the enemy. Sadly, only a single recruit managed to figure out where the exit to our fortress is. He was promptly eviscerated by a cave crawler. All future military personnel will be required to carry maps.

I’ve ordered the military to withdraw once more as they can’t seem to find the door. Hopefully the last enemies will just go away.

16th Granite: Well, things have settled down. Everyone is able to get back to work now. So far as I can tell we only have 56 dwarves alive now, but that is still enough to rebuild.
Several of our dwarves are throwing tantrums because of all the death and destruction. One of the hammerdwarves got too thirsty and punched someone in the face. Luckily our artisans are very agile, and no damage was done.

17th Granite: As I write this I am running from a cave crawler! Somehow they got inside the fort and are running around killing things. I’ve yelled for help but I’m not sure anyone can hear me. Incompetent idiots! I told everyone to join the military and kill these things.

At least there are only two enemies left. The last goblin ran away earlier today. I’m gonna try punching the cave crawler to death, otherwise I am going to die here. If anyone finds my body, I put my brain transplant equipment in one of the hospital chests. Put my brain in a well-equipped body if you would.

One crawler climbed through an underwater tunnel into our animal stockpile and is attacking a peon. I sure hope he will be okay.

7th Slate: Well, I died. Luckily the medical dwarves found a ‘willing’ peon to house my brain, so I now have a new body. I fainted soon after my last entry, but I will relate the story as I have heard it.
After the crawler killed me, it headed towards our helpless civilians. As it bore down on a straggler, Brodich, our former leader, ran up and engaged it in single combat.
After stabbing it hundreds of times with his mighty steel pick, Damsto Flykisses the God-forsaken finder of seeds was stuck down.

Hearing another cry for help, Brodich rushed down to the furniture stockpile. Although too late to save the arm of ‘DrunkenCaveOgre’ the artisan, Brodich again rushed into battle , smashing the beast again and again.
After hours of intense combat, Brodich emerged victorious earlier today. Thank Teshkad, this nightmare siege is over.

The first order of business is to recognize the two heroes who saved many lives with their valiant efforts.

First, ‘Brodich’ Sazirkor Stibbomidor Zanor, who slew two cave crawlers, two olms and two goblins. He shall have a tomb constructed in his honor should he die.

Second, Dumat Rigothlibash Monomrovod Kobem, who slew four goblins, two jabberers and two olms. I believe he should be appointed head of the military for his clear skill and heroic efforts.

Now I must take stock and figure out how we may salvage something from this awful event.
(I'm not sure all those kills are from the siege but I assume they are)
Here is the current state of affairs for any who are interested.
edit: Brodich's title means "Bridgecavern the primitive lark of hearts" apparently.
fun fact: we now have 102 weapons and 492 pieces of armor. And 154 corpses an 287 body parts. Yay!
also, of our named dwarves only I and +!!scientist!!+ died, though drunkencaveogre is missing a left arm.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:05:39 pm by MiceMiceMice »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 08, 2012, 01:50:25 pm »

I bleev the invisible letters things is an error that occurs when you use any tileset.
great update, things are looking pretty grim. I hope the dwarves dont tantrum spiral. this place is ripe for it. the primitive lark of hearts eh? not so bad. the lark part is a bit odd, but it makes it sound like a homestuck thing. weve gotta watch out for these cave crawlers in the future, I mean damn. they are killing machines. I didnt know they could swim either. I do know they have [DESTROYER] though.
I cant wait to see how you solve this forts many problems mice. good luck.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 08, 2012, 02:45:38 pm »

Hey, what about me? how many kills do I have?

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 08, 2012, 03:02:13 pm »

Misko, you currently have six kills in total. One opossum, one skunk, two zombie moose men, one zombie moose woman and finally Silverdisperses the zombie armadillo man. Looks like you didn't get any kills during the siege. And yeah, the cave crawlers sucked. They trashed a water wheel, not sure what else yet and probably killed 4-6 dwarves each. Next update is less exciting, should be up later today. We are a Barony now! All 35 dwarves that are left at least.... :P
edit: I just noticed that the second crawler Brodich killed was called "the odorous seizure of pantomimes." Best name ever.
Also, concerning a tantrum spiral: We have one miserable insane dwarf, two unhappy dwarves (misko and me) and everyone else if fine, content, happy, or ecstatic (5,22,5,and 1 dwarves respectively). Not sure how anyone can be ecstatic walking through blood and vomit soaked tunnels everyday.....
edit again: turns out the crawlers trashed the gear assemblies for the water tower. Even more stuff to fix :(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:30:06 pm by MiceMiceMice »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 08, 2012, 04:04:24 pm »

kewl, give me a minute and Ill have something special up.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 65