Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87536 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore
« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2012, 02:38:28 pm »

As of the half-date, 29. Ironically, somewhere in that nightmare, we managed to fight off over 50 zombies. We did better here then against the goblins, ratio of dwarf to zombie casualties speaking.

I worked through the night to finish it. All I can say, is that the second-to-last month is the calm before the *<<*ACTION-PACKED*>>* xXFIRE-STORMXx of !!FUN!!

Seriously though, its a bit of a whopper. The Shit did not just hit the fan, It flew into a jet engine turbine, causing engine failure, depressurization of the cabin, and blinding the pilot, co-pilot, various sterwardesses, and anyone who ever even pretended to know how to fly a plane. And then Superman shows up.

Posting sometime between now and 6.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Gulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 27, 2012, 05:40:01 pm »

I CAN'T TAKE THE SUSPENSE! Will I survive to carve more tales of our gory glory, or will my corpse be just one more to the ever growing pile?!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 27, 2012, 05:56:18 pm »

I CAN'T TAKE THE SUSPENSE! Will I survive to carve more tales of our gory glory, or will my corpse be just one more to the ever growing pile?!

Even if we survive,  doubt you will engrave any thing interesting. A entire war waged on zombies and There is not a SINGLE BLOODY ENGRAVING OF IT.

I've decided to take a little exra the my turn allows. I just want to fend off the remaining Invaders. Its just 15 left.

EDIT:MUAHHAAHHA!!! The gobbos have fallen into my execution room. Less impressive since their on aquatic mounts, but still.

EDIT2: How doss one upload the save?

EDIT3: Got it!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:51:21 pm by misko27 »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2012, 07:47:05 pm »

IGNORE THE DAMN DOUBLE POST.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2012, 07:47:27 pm »

28th of Moonstone: Well, first thing first. The lack of a tantrum spiral is absolutely hilarious. The main thought in the dining room is “can I get booze without getting up?”. Tantrum spiral my ass. Those professors were just mad.

Anyways, did you know I was awesome?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am appearantly.

Some members of the military are upset, so I am forced to cycle stationing among the squads. A single armadillo man showed up, but was promptly torn apart by the military. A moose woman shows up, beats on a recruit before being owned by a spear dwarf.

My scouts have returned with a bizarre report:

I told them to stop eating the weird stuff in the caverns and get to work.

Gulf is weird:

There are literally hundreds of engravings that are just small variations of this. Who is this man that gulf hates so much?

Too many dwarves are being lost holding the bridge cavern head. Frankly, I don’t want it any more. I’ve decided to order a general retreat.

We finally manage to seal it off somehow managing to incorporate a mooseman corspe into it, so the only remaining entrance is the one down stair case to nowwhere where that no one can go to because a bunch of badger men are marooned below.

Because of recent events I’ve decided to rework the military over the last 2 months I rule this hole.

Also, in true dwarven fashion, all of this was done without anyone rescuing me from the staircase I was stuck on, slowly bleeding, starving, dehydrated, so tired. There were all scared out of their wits by badger corpses on a ledge below. I presume this is from the bizarre grafting of the structure onto the caverns.

By the way, I’ve finally managed to make a dwarven training program. They shoot at the dark ones all day long.

So that’s it for the month. As my final month here begins, Can’t wait to get out of this hell-hole.

30th of Obsidian: Well, that’s that. Excluding the fact that its not. I might as well right up to where I am:

The dwarves worked awful hard over the past month. Or so I’ve been told. I was bed-ridden through the month, so I didn’t find out till later. In any situation, progress on several projects increased exponentially.

My injuries have been looked over, and I must say, there not good.

However, we appear to have competent doctors, if a little lazy, so I am hopeful I’ll be up before the next Overseer takes place.

Gulf’s work appears to be taking a satirical tone:

“Death-strike?”
(There was a section here about his personal life, but I mixed up the photos. Something about how he suffers as a genius.)

Today, I met the stupidest dwarf in all the land. He is a Outpost Liaison

A Barony? This hell-hole? The one with no ore and plague of zombies below? IMG Are the standards so low? I guess. But who to make Baron? I don’t know. So many choices.
I pick myself, Shocking.

I noticed a dwarf was miserable. It was because he’s a worthless peasant, he was forced into the military then kicked out, his wife is dead and rotting, he was attacked by the dead, and patrol duty was kinda long.

What a wuss. His daughter isn’t like this, she’s perfectly content, And she lost a mother to zombies for crying out loud.

My Chamber is Finished! All Bow Beneath The Might Of The Waterfall Execution Room!

(Similar to a certain other overseers idea, But I lost the Documentation for that, and this one involves falling. And you can do it to goblins.)

I tried telling a dwarf to put a spike trap in, but we found these instead: 

Wonder how those got there. I suspect the Kobold mafia. I fear for my life. Probably an accident, no need to investigate further.

Well, this is not good. The tower of water finally had enough power to work, but as it turns out, I forgot to pull the lever again, deactivating it. There was a dwarf on the path as it started. In addition, I missed two places where it could flood, so it, surprisingly, flooded.

I’m getting confused and panicked reports from various dwarves; its clear shit has hit the Pump stack. I order a dwarf to Pull the lever, and this stops the doom of those above, but it hastens the doom of those in the fort, as the unpumped water floods right back into the
Fort.

And then,

Fuck you guys.

I assemble the army into a well defended armada. Unlike our previous venture with the Dark ones, this time we fight on our own terms. The marksdwarves are stationed a z-level above where the main fighting will take place. It also puts them right where they can rain down on goblins with impunity.

There are over 40 goblins, all on mounts. I have readied a huge number of Cage traps for this purpose. I don’t know whether we can defeat them, All I can hope is that we do our best.

As if out of Sheer Spite a shout comes up from the Dining hall. “A Miner has been possessed”! My response can be best described as a series of incoherent curse words.

As if aware of how stupid an idea this is, the dwarven caravan finally decides to leave. While this sucks for them, it’s awesome for us, since their increased numbers benefit us.

The atack on our front is weak, efforts of both the marksdwarves (and me), the traps, the war dogs, and the caravan pretty much end any threat from there. However: I forgot that certain goblin mounts can swim, so we are in serious shit here.

Civilians run panicked through the rooms, chased by goblins. Many are killed, but a previously sent out alert saved many lives. 

The Dwarven Caravan holds the front while I order dwarves back to the river. Many f the dwarven traders are killed and a number of guards are injured, Not a Spectacular year for traders, it seems.

Fortunately, the excavator’s militia manages to do quite well holding the bridge and holding the entrance at the same time, by dividing themselves up into 2 equal groups (Entirely of their own accord, I must add), so we were fine for the moment.

The flooding has been contained and has subsided, but the violent battle in the fort rages on. Dwarves are being lost attempting to mop-up hiding goblins. The status as of this second of the battle outside is unknown.

8th of Granite:
I wandered through the battle field, watching as the remaints of the goblin forces inside are vanquished. Look at these dogs:

Dogs were my best idea ever.

I join them and ifre a few volleys into one of the olms, it cripples them.

Outside the battle is improving. One of the 2 remaining goblin squads are fleeing. Only one remains. I shall mass dwarves there for a all out last stand.

As this occurs, Gulf is smoothing the dining room.
 There are two heroes here: One, The Noble dwarf Brodich, who as a legendary miner was capable of defeating the neo-like goblin spear man.

The other, is me! My design worked perfectly.

Now, we have harnessed the forces which were once our enemy, and used to it to smite our foe.

The other Goblin group retreats, leaving us in a state of siege. This is mostly goblins refusing to abandon their dead leaders. This can be dealt with by the next overseer, who I imagine will set up a marksdwarf squad nearby and watch them pick them off. In addition, a single speargobbo is being attacked by about half our entire military force, and dogs, and is being chased through the entire fort. He is injured, due to the efforts of Brodich, but he manages to dodge nearly every attack they have. He will fall eventually, adn his spear is gone, so good practice. Also, a few random creatures are wandering throgh the fort, so I would reccomend to the next overseer that they search for the stray olm that may have escaped.

I spoke with the next Overseer. He is concerned about the state of things, but I assured him that it would re-heal. He then told me something that chilled me to the bone: As Baron, I could not indulge in the luxury that is being other places then here. I was depressed at first, but I've come to accept it.

This is the last entry, dear diary. I have decided that, as my carrer as a b-student ends, and the rest of my life begins, I must too start a new journal. Good bye.

P.S. I’m glad I’m not that Overseer, I certainly messed things up here.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6832

Thats up for me. I ready to let this go. It is actually the 8th of Granite, but who whines over a few days? Many dwarves have been slain, but the lack of relatioships have stifled an tantrum spiral. All overseers are alive and accounted for. Brodich, you kicked some serious as in there, good job. Some one will have to change my profession title from ruler. I am also baron, as long as the outpost liason thing goes through. I don't ask for much from future overseers, just that my tomb be made, that lay pewter stature be put in my room, and that they tolerate my mandates. Oh, adn everyone use my Execution machine. You toss goblins in a top, then pull a lever marked on points and routes menu. This will let water rush in and allow them to enjoy the water fall. The lever must be pulled again, and It requires a few minutes to reset with full  water pressure.

We have a large number of prisoners, so do with those as you like. Either train with them, or execute them.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:29:10 pm by misko27 »

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2012, 08:25:49 pm »

Well done! I only hope that future turns are as interesting, entertaining and productive as yours. The next overseer is going to have a bit of work to do it seems.
edit: btw, how was the fps during the zombie fighting misko? Any serious lag issues in the fort yet?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:11:37 pm by MiceMiceMice »

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #201 on: August 28, 2012, 11:07:42 am »

Great year!

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 28, 2012, 03:24:12 pm »

hot damn, jegus, things really turned to crap there for a minute. I should have hooked up my waterfall catch system to a lever... that would have completely countered the menace from the river. man, misko that was a great turn. action packed and everything. Its good to see my dwarf actually beating some green-skin ass out there. well, Ill send out the PM to the next player and update the OP.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2012, 12:04:26 pm »

The next overseer may have an hard time with this fortress.

Regardless.

It needs a HUGE TOWER for the elite dwarves to watch the carnage from above.

This shall be my goal once I get the overseer's throne again.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 29, 2012, 12:25:47 pm »

Oh yeah, did I mention that theres a few olms in the river near the bridge? Their mounts are dead, so they arent moving. caring of civilians, but a marksdwarf would make short work of them. Further more, THere is a single goblin squad, hammergobbos, whose leader was killed, so they are stuck there. They're probably the ones you need to see to to get rid of the siege tag. Also, I know theres a rouge Olm running through the fort, so keep that in mind. It hasn't met anyone when I saved, but be careful.

Did I mention that half the military is dogpiling a single unarmed speargobbo? He's really good at dodging, so most haven't hit him. He's pretty injured though due to brodich driving a pick through his arm.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2012, 12:09:04 pm »

well, as per the rules, aussie has until the end of tomorrow to post. if he doesn't, we skip and move on to the next player.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #206 on: August 31, 2012, 09:48:12 pm »

Next :P

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 31, 2012, 11:12:04 pm »

Ohh, man, I'm curious as hell as to what the next overseer does wiht my ruination. Theres no tantruming, except the injured, since no one knows anyone else, so alls good there, but for once, we really need migrants.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 01, 2012, 01:51:55 am »

It will at least be interesting. Hopefully the remaining dwarves have useful skills and aren't all legendary potash makers or something.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 01, 2012, 09:28:53 am »

Next :P
I guess that'd be me. I've got the save. The in-laws are coming for the three-day weekend, so I don't think I'll have any time to play until Tuesday. I'll try to make it sooner.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 65