Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87570 times)

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2012, 01:39:53 pm »

I wouldn't worry too much about the lag, there are plenty of overseers before you to get rid of the zombies by throwing hordes of poorly equipped dwarves to their doom.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2012, 03:15:18 pm »

I wouldn't worry too much about the lag, there are plenty of overseers before you to get rid of the zombies by throwing hordes of poorly equipped dwarves to their doom.
I resent that. My dwarves are not poorly equiped, just poorly trained. About half of them are complete crossbow noobs. I plan on fixing that, but its hard without practice dummies
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2012, 03:28:50 pm »

Fine, adequately equipped, woefully under-trained squishy dwarves. Honestly though we could always go for flooding it with lava or something.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2012, 03:35:47 pm »

Fine, adequately equipped, woefully under-trained squishy dwarves. Honestly though we could always go for flooding it with lava or something.
Because what we really need here is "on-fire-zombies".

Besides, the melee squad seems skilled enough, and there is a decent crossbow squad (Which I am captain of), so with more training, I don't expect a problem. I am trying to modernize the military, but its hard work.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2012, 03:48:23 pm »

Good luck. Just try not to antagonize them before you are ready. I've lost a few forts that way.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2012, 12:51:48 am »

you could do it the slow-ish way. carve fortifications and mine away the ones that dont expose anything but rough rock on the other side of them. rinse and repeat until you find exposed caverns, then allow your marksdwarves a happy few hours of plinking away at the undying targets that coming rushing out.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 25, 2012, 12:29:01 am »

Alright, the long in coming 3rd installment is here! I noticed I have fewer pictures, so sorry. Less interesting though.

29th of Limestone: Summer has drawn to a end. The leaves have turned brown, and the dwarves start staying inside, well, by subterranean creature standards, I suppose. Dwarven children go back to school, uh, by school I mean a loiterer in the great hall ranting at them while everyone else works. I’d tell that guy to bug off, but it keeps the tykes busy. Besides, he reminds me of my professors.

I’ve been haunted in my dreams recently.  I see images of a army of darkness marching in the fort, easily wiping our feeble military off the map. I see terrifying forms slaughtering at random, with each swipe they strike a dwarf down. They head upwards, annihilating any in their path, while I and others hide huddling in a corner, waiting for the onslaught of death. As I am not the only dwarf haunted by these dreams, I have decided to halt work on the rapier. Better safe then sorry.

A few dwarfs have decided to officially rename themselves. The CMD is now +!!Scientist!!+ (what a strange name, I thought, but it’s rude to say.), and a swords dwarf is now named tahujdt. What is wrong with people?

I have also been consumed by the thought of my legacy. My term is already half over, and I want to stamp this fort with my name, so that all future overseers will be forced to acknowledge me. I want to utilize the power of the water fall, to execute prisoners more efficiently. First step will most likely be damming the river, or at least diverting it. If I can’t accomplish this myself, I’ll wait till winter. Of course by then, I will have already accomplished the needed infrastructure.

As almost the entire supply of females who haven't rejected me is gone, I've been very alone recently. This hole doesn't make me feel much better, and despite my comparitively lavish accomadations, I am unhappy.

Oh, and I managed to make Gulf shut up. I’ve set him smoothing things. Hah, That’ll show him. Without the constant comments, he’s beginning to be less insufferable, so my rage is soothed.

I was alerted by suturers that we lack material for suturing. Damn. I wonder how to remedy this, when I remember that that’s something elves bring. A quick look over their unmoved corpses confirms that yes; there is some material, though not alot. A quick looting solves our problems.

We have begun to run out of materials, and so I hope that the dwarven caravan will relieve us. In the mean time I've taken afvantage of my training to try to sqeeze more use out of everything.

This Stonecrafter reminds me of someone.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh yeah! That hero from the ambush. I put her in a squad, since she wasn’t yet.

Well, that goblin has finally been chucked in a arena, so marksdwarf training finally started. It is limited though, since quivers are not always available, so some cannot practice.

27th of Sandstone:
Military material is very low so I am ramping up all military related production. This means leather, so many puppy’s are being slaughtered, since we don’t appear to have cats. That fact scares me more then anything I’ve seen here so far. A catless fort is truly a cursed fort.

As if to make up for that mistake, migrants have arrived. God, I wish I could butcher migrants. All my problems would go away. Except training, but live-fire exercises with migrant "volunteers" would help that too. Well, at least now I can replace some of the less competent marksdwarves with more competent migrant workers.

The military is depressing me. Many don’t even bother to have their stuff on them, and training is non-existent.

I realized the cause of the lack of progress in making things, there was no tanner’s workshop. I banged my head against the wall a few times, to relieve strain.

If I hope to finish my design before winter, a brave dwarf is going to have to pierce the river. I wonder who that will be. :D

Cage Traps are being set up everywhere, and a lack of cages becomes apppearant. Hunters have, in slightly related news, been very active. God, how I long for the days back at the capital, where I could eat meat every night.

Migrants have arrived, bringing the total to 107.

Progress has been made in various areas, but life is slow. I hope for more excitement soon.

WHY WON’T YOU DWARVES TRAIN!?! TRAIN YOU FAT BASTARDS!!!
 >:(
28th of Timber:
Merchants have arrived, bringing much needed supplies. Sensing this, a dissector wakes from sleep, withdrawing from society.

Shockingly he claimed a craftsdwarf’s shop, and ran off grabbing things. Considering how low we are on various supplies, I can only hope it works. I think that without metal, we have to rely more on other materials, so we run low.

Well, I was looking over our craftsdwarfship, and I spotted a few recurring themes, including Thelire, the elf eaten by a dragon, and Ingiz Tourrope, the dwarf slaughtered by a Minotaur. I never heard of these guys. These Rural dwarves have some weird ass folk-stories. Homage to one of our own appeared, one to a “Frontestro”, related to the Frontestro living here now. It is a wonderful thing that he has not been forgotten, and that they will keep his memory alive. Here is the related enscription:
…Although, his corpse is still at the bottom of the waterfall.
I should do something about that.

A ban on statues is in effect. God forbid our enemies grab hold of our statues, for everyone knows that a army if goblins wielding rock statues is truly to be feared. Can the mayor even do that? Good, school was so much simpler.

Did you know we have more metal armor then leather? In a place with supposedly no ore? What, The, FUCK!?!?! I really need to find a new outlet for my rage. Messing with Gulf is just not cutting it. Well, I’ve ordered melting of many of the inferior metals.  Perhaps I can still use metals then.

The amount of meat in the fort has increased during my reign. How awesome. 8)

Zas has started his construction. Materials are not interesting

Well, fall ends, and The long slog that is winter is apon us. As my last season here begins, I will hope to leave it in the best possible way. The plans for the next season will bring all done so far to fruitation, and the last season of my reign wil be the most sucessful yet.

Fort as it stands :
(Boring update. last one will not be so. Even if we see now military action, I will make something happen, so do not despair. )
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:31:10 am by misko27 »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 25, 2012, 12:48:48 am »

heh heh, its good to see the booze isnt going to run out anytime soon. :P as for metal, but bolts. im not sure, but I dont think toady fixed the bolt bug, you know? the one where you make bolts out of one bar of metal, but melting the stack of 25 bolts gives back 2.5 bars? then again... that is a pretty cheap move...
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2012, 08:47:10 am »

heh heh, its good to see the booze isnt going to run out anytime soon. :P as for metal, but bolts. im not sure, but I dont think toady fixed the bolt bug, you know? the one where you make bolts out of one bar of metal, but melting the stack of 25 bolts gives back 2.5 bars? then again... that is a pretty cheap move...

If you're into melting exploits, leggings (not greaves) give back 150% of the metal used to make them.  You can also make and melt coins to get back 110% of any metal, weapon-grade or not.

A nearly-full list is on the wiki.  Even if you don't want to exploit magical metal production through leggings & coins, you can see the value of imported metal musical instruments and so on.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2012, 01:54:16 pm »

hm. not really sure how that happened. theres a whole section of what I said missing from that last bit. anyways, cheap move = a bad thing. I think Ill leave it up to each player what they want to do about it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 26, 2012, 09:59:36 pm »

Teaser:

Will be up tonight.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:01:13 pm by misko27 »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2012, 11:02:00 pm »

I sense eminent fun. we look forward to it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 27, 2012, 01:50:37 am »

CURSE YOU DOUBLE EDIT! CURSE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:58:32 am by misko27 »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 27, 2012, 01:51:38 am »

Woah, too long. Part 1 is here, finishing up the rest now. A lot of detail in the actual battle.

20th of Moonstone: I’ve almost finished the tower of water-power.  Oh Yeah. I’m going to test this in a little bit, but it will be fun.

I’ve decided to bury the hatchet with old gulf, as I will soon be in his position, it pays to have allies. In addition, room for the future rulers’ rooms has started. They’ll have to furnish it themselves, but it’s a start. Tombs are also being prepared. Mine is obviously large.

Well, That crazy guy finished his “precious”.

Sheep? Really? REALLY?!?!?!

Noticing a severe man-power shortage, And A large number of regular idlers, many have been conscripted to woodcutting, smoothing, and masonry industries. This is because of the sheer number of jobs involving those things. I’ve noticed that all dwarves labeled Peons have two of these professions. I understand. Perhaps these former overseers are not such complete bumbling idiots after all. Still, quite different from what I’ve learned, but desperate times call for desperate, blind lever-pulling.

This, is weird:

Well, Excavation of this structure was going to have to be left to the next overseer. There was no class on this at school, and its too bloody complicated to figure out meself.

Boy did I speak to soon.

It appears the adjutting cavern unleashed the beasties. Thank god no gremlin got in there, lest we all die. I give up looking for the entrance, since the nightmare is already out. I set a dwarf digging to bring us level to level with the beasties, so we can turn them into mulch.

Caravan gave us much needed supplies; crossbows, quivers, thread, leather and bolts galore!

The Zombies on the bottom floor appear to be leaking out the entrance. Their attacking some unknown creatures beyond where our scouts go, I must say I’m curious to know what draws these sentinels from there most protected place, but at the same time, I know I don’t want to know.

Highlight: Well, Gulf has managed to sneak away from smoothing duties for long enough to “dazzle us” with more of his work. He has graciously decided to stop plaguing us with his smug image, but, well, apparently he’s lost his muse:

Perhaps it’s some new-fangled art. God, the lack of “Art through the ages 101” is only now bothering me.

My Nightmare has come true, I think as I look over the reports from the scouts. Over 100 zombies have been discovered, at least in areas where the scouts have been. Deeper in the Structure their numbers may be higher. I have been truly worried by this, and the miners who worked near the structure, the ones most affected by the dreams, have started being very strange, speaking of the end of days. I told them that are called night, but no one listens to me. The one who actually uncovered the entrance has refused to continue working, saying he fears the badger man corpse. Many of the more religious dwarves have asked me not to disturb what dwarf was not meant to disturb.

I’ve commissioned a less elven miner to dig to the entrance for us. The charge takes place tomorrow. Good night Diary, I hope to see you tomorrow.

1st of Opal:
Wow. That was, something. I guess I should start from the beginning.

Well, the untrained peons showed it by being struck down by random beasts right out of the gate. There are about 2 or three idiots who thought that the best way to fight zombies is to beat your crossbow on them. This worked for one of them. Other then those two the charge went rather well, the melee dwarves slaughtered those within reach. I decided to idiotic marksdwarves should retreat, and they did. I myself threw in a bolt or two into a beast.

At the end, a single Moose woman walked to one of our injured. I was the only one left, the others had fallen back while I watched our injured. It raised its hoof, It righteous fury, and then:

That one shot flew quick and true,  hitting the beast in the holding place of the dark force that makes it moves, and killing it instantaneously. It was my only kill in the battle, and one that saved the life of a number of dwarves.

We’ve established a bridgehead in the caverns. The beasts are disorganized, so the response was not nearly as strong as it should have been. I’ve ordered masons to block off certain areas, allowing us to pick off the ones in the caverns before attacking the Structure itself.

I’ve decided untrained marksdwarves are impossible to deal with, and they’d fight better if they had weapons anyway. Therefore I’ve created a second melee squad, to thin the ranks of dead marksdwarves.

An idiotic marksdwarf walked up to the structure, shooting into it and arousing the wrath of the dark ones within sight of him. Fortunately, there were only 2 nearby. He held is own for a bit, but the moose man kicked him in the skull with his hoof, killing him instantly. Too bad, he did well, and injured them before his death.

Worse though, this attracted 2 more to the injured dwarfs. A swordsdwarf was struck down before a melee dwarf intervened. A melee broke out between him and the zombies, him unable to strike back, them unable to break his defensive stance. Intervention by marksdwarves led to a even larger melee, the dark ones unable to defend themselves from this new onslaught. A bolt or two from myself and a few others ended the fracas as quickly as it began.

Unfortunately, this attracted more enemies from within the structure. Realizing that this was not the end, but the beginning of a renewed attack by the dark ones, I assembled the entire military, including the miners militia, to defend the bridge head.

The assembled marksdwarves, myself included, worked to fight back the dark ones advance. Bolts are powerful to these beasts, as the effort of me and another were enough to kill many of them. However, the other marksdwarf despaired of victory this way, and charged to meet them head on. While I watched this, a moose man charged at me. He jumped from my bolt, and as I hastily reloaded, I thought I was dead.

Kicked in the stomach by this terror, I tumbled backward. Calling the others to my aid I attempted to retreat. At this point, the beast stole my good steel flask. I was then viciously beaten by the monster. It grabbed my ankle, and snapped it. Crying out, expecting death, the nearby dwarves ran to my aid, one stabbed at it in the side, injuring it.

The marksdwarf with whom I fought alongside earlier became caught up in a battle with two more, being very quickly beaten to within a inch of his life. The dark one at my front attempted to grab me, but I managed to break free each time.

At one point I passed out from pain, only to wake up later in the melee. The moose man responsible for my beating was dead, as was the marksdwarf responsible for my life.

The dwarves were in disarray. My conflicting orders meant that they switched to civilian professions, and they were temporarily routed. However, with my awakening, I aroused them into continuing. A battle between a stone crafter and an armadillo dark one had been difficult for both, with the end result of the stone crafter beating it to death with his fists.

Finally, the remainders were as follows: Me, a injured marksdwarf; a injured markdwarf; and a single speardwarf. A survey of the other dwarves showed most were far higher in the fort, and with 2 dark ones left, it looked like the end.

At this point a second dwarf, a untrained peon showed up from a deeper part of the caverns. I knew not why he was there, I only knew that he could be our saviour.

The first dark one, a moose man, charged forward, while the other held back, no doubt protecting the structure. The first heads west, attacking the other marksdwarf. The peon intervenes, and the injured marksdwarf and the peon manage to bring the dark one down.

At this point civilians show up, attempting to drag people put. More dark ones pour out from the Structure. I pass out again, and all goes black.

I wake up, and am informed of the situation by the militia commander. The Miners have managed to reclaim the entrance to the Strucutre, with only one casualty. Several civilians have been killed by the dark ones, and their casualties are the main source of the dead. The Structure itself has been emptied of everything on the floor, save for one beast. The inner cavern appears to be empty, so threats are not expected from there.

Progress has been made in sealing off the structure. Only one block is needed, but a corpse blocks the way. I fear a tantrum spiral, may Armok help me.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:35:30 am by misko27 »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 27, 2012, 12:40:40 pm »

jegus. !!FUN!! indeed. what a bloodbath. how many dead exactly?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 65