Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87563 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2012, 09:40:32 pm »

I'll take a turn. Dorf me as Tahu, swordsdwarf.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2012, 10:05:43 pm »

All right. Expect it in 1-2 days. I'm a busy, busy man. I've got wikipedia articles to write, projects to do, books to be studied. And games.

You shall be dorfed.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2012, 10:47:01 pm »

adding tahujdt to the list.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2012, 12:11:47 am »

Alright, 2 thirds done tonight. Expect it some time tommorrow, barring some unforseen difficulty. I may be a little sketchy over the next few days, As I am preparing for school, but I promise, fall will be up within 4 days. or five.

Summer is peaceful so far. I expect it will remain so

Teaser:
Quote from: Misko the Invincible
Hey, when did the mayor die?

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2012, 08:44:14 am »

Quote from: misko27
Alright, 2 thirds done tonight. Expect it some time tommorrow, barring some unforseen difficulty. I may be a little sketchy over the next few days, As I am preparing for school, but I promise, fall will be up within 4 days. or five.

Summer is peaceful so far. I expect it will remain so

You do write entertaining updates, but at this rate it will take you two weeks to play your turn.

It was to be 7 days per players max. Are you confortable taking twice as long to play your turn? Would it not be better to provide the save to the next player after 7 days even if you could not play the full year?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2012, 01:13:37 pm »

I forgot about that. In that case, I shall have everything in 3 days including today. I suppose I don't really need sleep.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2012, 02:03:58 pm »

I'd like a turn! Also, dorf me as Scientist, a doctor of some kind. (preferably a diagnostician)
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2012, 02:42:47 pm »

Doing Dorfings now, and will have it up in a hour.

Edit:27th of Hematite: Well, first things first. The CMD is, in fact, single. She is a little older then I am, but I'm fine with that.

Oh. Wait a minute, the hospital. Yeah well, as it turns out, there is a hospital that I half set-up a while ago, so we’re doing well there. Unfortunately, there aren't any beds, so for a while, they were sleeping on the floor. Fixed that.

The remaining goblin thief showed up and was assaulted by dogs. They chased the gobbo right into the cages, so I guess there will be even more "practice dummies".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another one?!? How many damn thieves were there?!?

And what stupid dwarven mother doesn’t notice a disappearing baby?!? Oh, but now its going to be: “I miss my baby so much” when you didn’t even notice he was gone in the first place!

Around the same Time I promoted some suturer who loved helping people to do all medical jobs. The was some complaints about “too much responsibility” and “this is unethical” and “what the hell is wrong with you”, but like all comments like those, I ignored them.

In what can only be described as a tragic accident, the goblin thief was killed by a recruit. Tragic.  However, maybe this will motivate the other goblin into being more conductive, and helping to train our dwarves.

Hey, when did the mayor die? Oh well, there is a successor, who is somewhat more conducive to demands, by which I mean she demands fewer stupid things.

I decided that my accommodations were insufficient, especially considering the off chance that I entertain a guest. Therefore, I decided to evict a couple from their rooms so that I may own a far more suitable room. It belonged to a “Brodich”. I remembered this was the individual who opposed the dictatorship of that Gulf fellow, so I equalized things by evicting Gulf from his current settings to give to Brodich.

I also decided to spruce it up, so I added basic amenities such as armor and weapon racks, chests, restraints, etc. I also helped myself to a table in the great hall, since I am ruler I work the hardest. The other dwarves, naturally, were perfectly accepting of this but suspected me in giving Gulf lodgings. I said: “No, despite his problems, he is still a dwarf and deserves a room. We’re not elves, after all.” I believe I placated them with this. Ahh, Rural dwarves are so simple minded.

Drawing of room as it now stands:

15th of Malachite: Well, First off, Migrants. Because the last batch lived so happily ever after.

Another one of those bloody former traders staring at the god damned floor. I bet their shocked the place is still here, and isn’t a smoking hole in the ground. I know there are cures for this, but I’m too lazy to break out the so-called “DFhack Hammer” and knock some sense into the bastards.

I’ve decided to mount a slow, steady, expedition for the rapier of Adamantine. I have heard of its cursed qualities, but I know that whatever that is done there can be defeated. However, I don’t expect to be in a position to mount a assault there just yet, so If I do find it, I will leave untouched, for the next Overseer to deal with. By then I’ll be long gone.

Another test of the tower, this time with proper connections. Not enough power. And, if it did mange to work, it would land harmlessly on the stairs into our fort. Harmless for invaders, that is. In addition, even if it had power, it would likely immediately flood the fort due to design flaws. I’m having serious trouble trying to work out the bugs.

Another Cavern has been uncovered. Shocking. More interesting is the emptiness. The previous overseer’s fear of the depths is beginning to seem awfully childish right now.

If this fort had any ore at all, I would tear the walls down Right Now, so that we could consume the fruit of the earth, but we don’t, so we wait.

10th of Galena:

Lots of gems, way too many. Almost entirely purple spinel. I’m just mass designating it at this point.

I made progress in fixing the damn tower, but It’ll be a bit until its ready to pour water on the entrance to the fort.  I was really hoping to have it ready before the humans came, so I could unleash it on them and possibly start a wet t-shirt contest.

Oh lord. I was following the nearby excavation for the sword, when I am told to return to the surface. A injured dwarf fell into a fey mood. He’s also a weaver. I may throw a tantrum myself now.  Fortunately he can walk, and he didn’t appear to run into any problems.

While I was watching him go around with vague amusement, a shout went up from the depths. We’ve found the Source of the Sword! Hurrying, I saw that it was true.

There was no entrance visible at first, So I ordered stairs to be dug. RIGHT at that moment, a human caravan arrived. No wet T-sirts for me. I can always wait for the dwarven caravan. It has more people, but loses the possibility for friendly cross-species “competition”.  Realizing the possibility of a second goblin attack, I was forced to derail from my job. Upon reaching the surface, I shouted something:”WTF! Why is the depot so exposed! Move everything you lazy elf-kobold crossbreeds!”

While this is happening, that injured person is starting his work. He has wool cloth, rock Gems, and wood. Curious to see what comes of it.

30th of Galena:

Oh, Besmar, so we really need a face veil? And how do you even know what that is? I need to cut down on fraternization.

Kobold showed up. He ran straight into the dogs in desperate attempt to be successful. He was very unsuccessful. A unsescassarily specific combat log was given to me by a dwarf. He is a fragment of it:

Unfortunately, he ran and just barely managed to escape with his life, stabbing a dog in the process. He probably won’t be coming back though, he was in nasty shape. Had a dog injured his foot more severely, he would be stealing from Armok now.

Well, nothing. The humans ran off when I moved the Depot, so no goods unfortunately. I created a militia of miners, so that we can fight more effectively. I see many of them are highly skilled with a pick, even legendary, so a battle with them will be quite fun.

No goblins, but they will come. And we will crush them when it happens.
Life as it is now:

note:I accidentally managed to dig through slade. I still can’t find the entrance to the damn place:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:31:52 pm by misko27 »

Gulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2012, 04:28:00 pm »

The Life of Gulf the Engraver, addendum

"Who does he think he is, that Mees-ko or whatever he goes by. Has he no respect for his elders!?" Gulf muttered, busy with his latest engraving. "Throwing me out of my own domicile, when I was the one who carved it out of the rock!" Brodich, who was working on another engraving down the hall, felt the need to chime in. "But Gulf, didn't you just order the miners to carve out that eight by five room for you?" "SAME THING, DARN IT!" Gulf roared, spit flying onto his engraving of himself (To "remember the old glory days" Gulf had said). Wiping off the saliva from the wall, Gulf continued "I'd like to become overseer again, and build a nice tower to keep that scumbag in solitary confinement, but I-" Gulf cut off his tirade just long enough to shout "I'VE COMPLETED A MASTERPIECE!" before moving on to the next section of wall. "-really don't want to put up with pushing you fools around for another year." Brodich snorted. "Yeah, did you even do anything useful on your turn, Gulf? Oh, right, you had a massive bedroom built for yourself, my bad." Gulf, scowling, glared over at his fellow former overseer before turning to consider the patch of unengraved wall before him. Gulf's scowl turned to a grin as he picked up his chisel, thinking about how a permanent engraving of Brodich and Misko dancing in the nude was just what this fort needed.

(Edited at 4:38:29 to be more insulting)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:39:54 pm by Gulf »

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2012, 04:37:33 pm »

Progress and updates! Huzzahs all around!
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2012, 11:35:26 pm »

"Misko27 cancels Play LCS: Taken by Mood"
"Misko27 has claimed a Fortress!
"Misko27 has begun a Mysterious construction!"

I just came up with a idea. A wonderfully, cruelly, Evilly Wonderful idea.

Question: Can water pressure send creatures flying? Can water pressure "shoot" water across a distance?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:17:58 am by misko27 »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2012, 01:32:28 am »

If we have a circus tent, please take me off. I can't stand slow FPS.
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2012, 01:44:51 am »

Now wait, I never said I'd do anything with it.

Also, I'ma have to rethink my plan a little, physics is not there just yet. It will still, however, lead to gratuitous goblin pain. It wil also double as a criminal disposal system.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2012, 01:46:58 am »

Now wait, I never said I'd do anything with it.

Also, I'ma have to rethink my plan a little, physics is not there just yet. It will still, however, lead to gratuitous goblin pain. It wil also double as a criminal disposal system.

Yes, but there are still hundreds of zombies milling around down there.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2012, 12:42:06 pm »

oh god, your piercing a clown car? and it appears a fey dwarf has created some kind of funerary veil. this does not bode well for our venture!

regardless, very good. especially the part about the wet t-shirt contest and the kicking of brodich ad gulf out of there rooms. gulfs input there was hilarious. "IVE COMPLETED A MASTERPEICE." *chuckle.* dont worry too much about the clown car tahujdt, if the area in front of the entrance is exposed with no way to the surface, the zombies and skeletons will just leave the map via the caverns, leaving a few behind. the fps hit should only last a short while. still though, Ill give you an option tahujdt. I can leave you on the list until we find out whats up with the clown car, or I can just straight up remove you. I can completely understand your hesitance to take over a laggy fort. in the event you decide to stay with us, and it is too laggy when your turn comes around, we can simply skip. we also wont throw you off the dwarfing lists either, youve got a dwarf in gate ivory, he will stay there. that is... until he dies in one of hundreds of possible ways.

also adding +!!scientist!!+ to the list.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:52:32 pm by saltmummy626 »
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 65