Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87357 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, a bloody hole in the ground (SLOTS OPEN!)
« Reply #945 on: July 28, 2013, 01:51:40 pm »

yeah, dont worry about it BP, anyone who wants a turn can just pick up the save. when your free, Ill hand off the save to you.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #946 on: August 11, 2013, 12:54:08 am »

Slots are opens, take the wheel!

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 12, 2013, 09:48:32 pm »

indeed, we got open space for players.  :-\
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 13, 2013, 10:35:29 am »

Could I take the current turn please? I see you need someone to go right away. I was going to work on getting Sparkgear XIV going for once, but I'd like to take the wheel of an already-active fortress.

URGENT EDIT: There is no save. The last save was apparently on Dropbox and was deleted. I've messaged bp920091, unless someone else happens to have it.

Yeah, the only thing I used liquids for was to block off the river (I was down to 5-6 fps on a powerful computer, I needed to), I didn't use it for anything else (and I won't need to, now that we are actually at a useable fps).

As for danger rooms, Ill definitely make a good story to go with it (make blocking spears so routine that they turn into mechanical dwarves (good old psychological breakdown stuff)).

Of, and odds are that I'll be expanding the military  using very... odd... Recruitment methods.

Isn't there like a 3000 creature hard cap or something though? Might need to deal with that.

There is a 3000 creature cap and if you go beyond it, you will not have any more migrants. Migrant start dropping from 1000 units. This is crippling for older fortresses, and I've tried to ask the DFhack team whether they can do something about it using a memory hack. Deleting the units from the list has not worked to fix this.

If we can force migration waves of a specific size, we can agree on a reasonable size for seasons besides winter.

Its also screwed over the Moltenchannels game. I do hope Toady fixes this bug in the next version.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:06:07 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 13, 2013, 09:05:10 pm »

uploading save now. I have no idea why it vanished. I dont mess around with my safefile folder.

Im uploading what i have now. Here's hoping it works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjrt39arqsrh3m9/GateivoryPostBP.zip
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: August 14, 2013, 05:06:50 pm »

Thanks. I see saltmummy626 was going to upload some kind of save, or may have been. I will try to get things under way as soon as possible using the save from bp920091.

Edit: This thing has a tileset or graphics pack, which makes my eyes Bleed. That's right, Bleed with a capital B. I'm porting this over to my non-DFhack folder UNLESS there is an absolute need to use DFhack with the game, in which case I will use my already-installed one. I'm going to use standard ASCII for this one.

Edit2: Well switching back from the tileset or graphics pack to ASCII has made all the times screwed up. I may take some time fixing this. Phoebus tileset, right?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 05:24:58 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 14, 2013, 07:51:06 pm »

go off of BPs save. also, yeah you gotta the client included with the save, including the tileset. otherwise, it wont work. this is due to modding I did before starting the game and forgot to remove. sorry about that. valrandir fixed this with the client he included after one of his turns (probably his first).

thanks for showing interest. I look forward to your posts. SHOW US YOUR METTLE!!

edit: actually BP, I had your save posted in the OP already as the current save. I dont know what happened.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:54:51 pm by saltmummy626 »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 14, 2013, 08:36:00 pm »

go off of BPs save. also, yeah you gotta the client included with the save, including the tileset. otherwise, it wont work. this is due to modding I did before starting the game and forgot to remove. sorry about that. valrandir fixed this with the client he included after one of his turns (probably his first).

thanks for showing interest. I look forward to your posts. SHOW US YOUR METTLE!!

edit: actually BP, I had your save posted in the OP already as the current save. I dont know what happened.

You don't need to use DFHack unless you are using related scripts. However, because the phoebus tileset that is used has different layout, it causes a problem with the graphics getting messed up. To fix this I'd need to just replace all the files, except the ones with your mods in. If you have any mods in the default files, then its even worse.

I can try to play it with phoebus. I'll need to scale down the screen though - I'm used to the default curses, which allows me to see a good deal of the z-level on a 4x4 fortress.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 16, 2013, 01:48:23 pm »

the modding I did was to remove the giant and human varieties of creatures introduced in 34.01. this keeps creatures like snail men around, but removes things like kea men. I also added three creatures to the desert biome. sand worms, and two types of crab.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 16, 2013, 02:22:16 pm »

Dune style sand worms?
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 17, 2013, 04:07:06 pm »

much smaller. voracious cave crawlers re-purposed to spawn in the desert and to be more skittish. also changed the color of their letter. I made them because I wanted something big to capture when I couldn't get GDS. same reason for removing the human/giant varieties of newer animals. I got sick of those clogging up my traps.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 19, 2013, 10:07:58 pm »

Im working on a fort of my own for the entire purpose of weaponizing sandworms (my own creation, trying to emulate the dune variety).

It's going rather well, starting a breeding program.

Too bad they cant be used as mounts.

They are rather... powerful (one took out an entire zombie siege by himself). Ive got them at the estimated size of medium sandworms (75 meters long), with a growth rate able to hit 1000m if they manage to live for 100 years

Perhaps i should have made the armor weaker than bronze....

This is my second try, as my first attempt ended up with them exterminating every civilization in the world, reproducing 5 young a year (from what i can tell, only about 5-6 died, period). This extermination took 25 years. From world START.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 21, 2013, 05:21:31 pm »

It's interesting that on Arrakis, the Fremen lived in seitches much the same as dwarves do in DF.  Are your sandworms sets of castes, with the larger castes being rarer than the smaller ones?  I've often thought megabeasts as castes of others might be quite interesting mobs when generated.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #958 on: August 21, 2013, 10:07:16 pm »

Im working on a fort of my own for the entire purpose of weaponizing sandworms (my own creation, trying to emulate the dune variety).

It's going rather well, starting a breeding program.

Too bad they cant be used as mounts.

They are rather... powerful (one took out an entire zombie siege by himself). Ive got them at the estimated size of medium sandworms (75 meters long), with a growth rate able to hit 1000m if they manage to live for 100 years

Perhaps i should have made the armor weaker than bronze....

This is my second try, as my first attempt ended up with them exterminating every civilization in the world, reproducing 5 young a year (from what i can tell, only about 5-6 died, period). This extermination took 25 years. From world START.

This is very interesting

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: August 22, 2013, 02:59:49 am »

It's interesting that on Arrakis, the Fremen lived in seitches much the same as dwarves do in DF.  Are your sandworms sets of castes, with the larger castes being rarer than the smaller ones?  I've often thought megabeasts as castes of others might be quite interesting mobs when generated.

No, i just use the same type of growth as a wyvern. Constantly growing forever.

I guess that you could get a sandworm 10km lomg if it lived for 1000 years (growth is about 10m/yr)
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65