Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87436 times)

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
Re: gateivory, the land without ore (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #825 on: May 30, 2013, 10:56:06 am »

I would very much enjoy reading an update soon, its been twelves days since the start of this turn but we have no documented progress yet.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: May 30, 2013, 01:57:48 pm »

valrandir speaks truth. im sorry tahu, but we gotta get something or we will have to skip. :S

as for the game tsumi, it has a couple small mods, but nothing game changing or amazing. awhile back, valrandir modified the save so that we wouldn't have to install anything, his changes basically nullified the mods. all it did was add 3 creatures to the desert biomes, because I mostly built forts in biomes and forgot to revert the raws before making the succession game.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Tsumi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 30, 2013, 02:46:00 pm »

Alright ^_^ well in that case I look forward to this! Anything in particular I should know? Rules or restrictions and whatnot? o.0

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: May 30, 2013, 04:38:18 pm »

well, not many rules or restrictions other than dont intentionally destroy the fort. also, the last player built a danger room. while I cant keep you from using it, I would prefer it not used unless you really really want to, and if you do try to come up with a good story for it.

as for things to know, its mostly in the OP and most other stuff can be found by reading all thats happened so far. the world was genned with 30 or 35 years on the clock, and it was supposed to have lots of mega beasts, but we have yet to see many. also, this game has none or almost none of the giant or man varients of animals except those that existed before the 34.01 update.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: May 30, 2013, 04:44:26 pm »

I haven't got that far, due to my general computer crappiness and Spearbreakers turn, so yeah, skip me.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: May 31, 2013, 01:51:35 am »

alright that would make it... oh. my turn...

oh god

first thoughts

well here we are. ive got a steady and tolerable fps of between 30 and 20. this is where the good feelings stop. I have a horrible and yet pleasant knot in my stomach at the prospect of taking this on. horrible, becuase its gonna be some kind of job. the the 5 months BP had the save, he danger roomed 2 whole squads of hammerlords/axelords. so we have a military. the fort is disturbingly clean considering the amount of violence weve seen. a massive number of staircases and passages in and around the river bed dont actually go anywhere. in fact, a small portion of the fort has been converted into non-euclidian shapes. thats an exageration of course, but considering how closely ive been following this fort, and the fact that ive helped to design it, I find it disturbing that my third turn should be marked by a confusion not seen in the last 2. an ugly obsidian wall (placed with DFhack I have no doubt, and no shame to the person who used it, you gotta get the lag out somehow) has been erected across the river. I plan on rectifying that with someling a little less cheaty and a bit more pleasing to the eye. im also going to remove all te ramps in the river bed, as some of these strange passages might lead into the fort somehow that I cant see and the ramps themselves confuse me. we have a great deal of our own dead down in the depths, this too will be made well, maybe... theres a giant snake in the way so we will see. basically though, its a case of never having had danger roomed soldiers before, and wanting to test them against the horde of dead things. we can think about breaking into hell on someone elses turn. im also happy to see my dwarf is still alive!  :D

ive had a look at the grand library, and the great mausoleum and I must say, the monument of death is looking mighty fine. the library on the other hand has had most of its specimens removed and thrown into what I can only describe as a "splatter pit." I will refill the cages with exotic animals.

on one last note... WE HAVE A FUCKING BRONZE COLOSSUS IN A CAGE!! WHEN THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN!? *SO EPIC*

expect my first update tomorrow, I might just finish up BP turn then pass it on. not that I dont want to go longer, but it jut seems fair that way.

just to clarify, I am excited about this turn, short though it may be. ive got story elements a brewing in my brain pan.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:50:44 am by saltmummy626 »

Tsumi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: May 31, 2013, 04:48:07 am »

Alright, so a turn is one game year correct? also how do you feel about quantum stockpiles?

(note^^ I don't go crazy with them anyways, but I know a lot of people don't like them.)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: May 31, 2013, 02:38:11 pm »

a depressing fact has suddenly come to me as I look at my dwarfs thoughts and such. ALL of his friends and acquaintances are dead. i_i

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #833 on: May 31, 2013, 03:36:35 pm »

Alright, so a turn is one game year correct? also how do you feel about quantum stockpiles?

(note^^ I don't go crazy with them anyways, but I know a lot of people don't like them.)

I only use them for one-shot point A to point B hauling, using a garbage dump area and dump designation, and disband the zone afterward.
A good example would be when I want quickly to remove all rough rocks from a water pipe since it would be too hard to do so alter flooding it.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #834 on: May 31, 2013, 03:37:22 pm »

Permanent quantum stockpiles and quantum erasers, I very much dislike.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #835 on: May 31, 2013, 03:45:05 pm »

alright that would make it... oh. my turn...

oh god

I would not mind at all that you play your year after finishing the current year, it seems more complete that way.
But of course either way is fine.

At my turn, I plan on permanently (as if anything could be permanent in df) fixing the water tower, and building above ground, vertical residential quarters.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: May 31, 2013, 04:27:50 pm »

fixing the water tower would be cool. im still baffled as to why it exploded on me.

"Great librarian Brodich Sazirkor Stibbomiddor Zanor?" Brodichs head lifted from the table where it had lately taken to resting. he was drinking off a deep depression, he had been more than happy lately, he had been ecstatic. on the outside at least. on the inside something ate away at him. He had seen the eyes of BP and the soldiers he had tricked into the "danger room." they were mad. the vision he had for gateivory had changed from a meca of wonderous dwarven culture, to a nonsensical murder hole in the ground. Gulf, his rival, had died but before hand had converted a huge swath of unused rock into a monument of death. a monument that Brodich himself would one day reside in. "Brodich Sazirkor Stibbomiddor Zanor?" said the dwarf before him again.It looked like drunkencaveogre, but that was ridiculas. drunkencaveogre was dead.all of his freinds were dead. almost everyone in the fort was completely unkown to him. he rubbed his eyes to try and get the image of drunkencaveogre to leave him, but it didnt go. if anything the ghost before him grew sharper. it grinned, "your time has come again Brodich. BP has gone utterly mad with power, he can hardly act on his own." the spirit suddenly shook its head "its time to clean up this mess." and with that, it faded from veiw. Brodich contemplated letting his head fall back to the table, but that wouldent do. he knew any moment someone would discover the madness of BP. it was the way of dwarves. no sooner had this thought come to him, than a soldier, less trained than the others, came running into the dining hall. "the overseer BP has gone mad! we are without an overseer!" Brodich did not think about it. in one quick movement he stood tall upon his table beard blowing in the draft that blew through the old hall. "No we are not. I am Brodich Bridgecavern, founder of gateivory and I will not allow gateivory to fall! This place was built on the backs of many freinds and family. this edifice of culture has become little more than a rust flecked wound in which dwarves such as us come to die! well, we will no longer falter, we will no longer buckle and bend, we will not die, let us stem the flow of blood that flows from this place, THIS IS GATEIVORY!!" a cheer rose around the hall, and all at once dwarves jumped up and begun working on plans that the great librarian laid out.

"we will smooth the side of the river and build a proper dam, I also want to see that damn danger room thing taken apart. such a dangerous thing could kill our soldiers!" an idea struck him, "put statues in the river bed!" he said. "make sure most of them are goblin statues. that would be fun and a great psychological knock to those dirty greenskins." Brodech also believed it would keep the fort busy for awhile.

later, after plans had been laid out, a grim faced Brodich went walking through the mushroom and moss crusted upper halls. in one room, he found barrels of what he thought was booze. upon broaching a keg though, he found it to contain blood. "what the..." why had they all this blood? no one would cook with the stuff. he thought, and remember the seiges and raids they had suffered. perhaps some caravans had been caught an slaughtered. further up, in what was once a room to store trinkets, brodich found cages. it had been a good while since he had been up this way and he didnt know what was in that cages. in some he found various birds, but tucked away in one corner was something large. he looked in awe at what the cage had in it. a huge immobile statue stood within it. a bronze colosus. he had never seen one before but had heard rumors. where had this thing come from? as he looked though, a plan formed. he would test the metal of these danger room soldiers. an arena would be built...

in the end, it didnt take long to build. a rough arena would be built, and a better one would be made later. for the time being though, a simple pit was dug out and the cage with the huge statue was placed inside and hooked to a lever. the shattered knees were sent down to test themselves. the grim soldiers faced the cage, waiting patiantly. their eyes were full of bloodlust. with very little sound, the cage slowly slid open. what happened next was sudden and to normal dwarves startling. the statue sprang to life an lept foreward, swinging its huge bronze fists at the dwarves. not a single one of them was surprised, and immidiatly set to work pounding on it like smiths crafting fine armor. Uru Gorgedlightnings the roasted spike was an old being.it had crushed men, dwarves, elves, and goblins. even the mightiest of hammerlords could not easily bring his glittering body to its knees. the battle raged on. again and again the statuesque creatures fists slammed into the sheild of Feb Kolbekom, stunning him and not allowing for a counter strike, it proved an ample distraction for the others. but for every blow the dwarves landed, the beast would land one of its own. slowly, very slowly, cracks begin to form on its body. bolts begin to fly into the arena from the upper floor. a ranger coming down to collect the cage spots the colosus and has taken matters into his own hands.

above, one of the hammer lords dies in the hospital, alone and forgotten and the human caravan arrives.

back down below, the axelords funnel into the pit with the hammer lords and the colosus. it is overwhelmed, but none can bring it down. the might of bronze is too much for the steel and iron of the dwarves. suddenly though, the battle is decided. a few lucky strikes of the axe and both of the colosus arms are gone as are its feet, soon after the colosus is no more than a horribly dismembered statue. all that remains is the things perfect torso and legs. on it is an image of a dwarf. "who is this kel colorstockade?" asked feb as he leaned over the statue. "and what is this buckler?" one of his fellows, out of breath from the fighting, slapped him on the back and said, "it matters little feb. you are too curious."

Brodich looked over the schematics he had drawn up for the arena. "it all looks good I think. wish drunkencaveogre was around to see it." brodichs smile faded.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #837 on: May 31, 2013, 11:05:09 pm »

THIS IS GATEIVORY!

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 01, 2013, 03:34:50 pm »

Just going to ask, is the giant entrance flooder still semi-intact? I know a troll or something broke it a bit, but I think someone fixed that. If it is, I'm going to reiterate my warning that it causes intense frame rate drop, though it does seem to work.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 01, 2013, 05:18:08 pm »

yeah it still works. but we have bigger problems. REALLY BIG PROBLEMS.

you ever read about those forts that run into forgotten beasts with syndrome so bad that they liquify afflicted dorfs near instantly? you ever read about how half of the fort is down fuckin around in the area of the fight and end up spreading the shit around before they die? I wonder if I should roll back the save, or keep this bitch going... I wouldn't lose much if I rolled back. lets put it to the community.

just to be clear though, the fort "might" not be at risk. I "might" have gotten a wall up in time to stop the dwarves from tracking the crap into the fort. BUT a good portion of the fort (say, 10-15 misc dwarves) and our entire military are down there. about half of them are afflicted with the horrible wasting disease.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 05:29:57 pm by saltmummy626 »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 65