Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87568 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #750 on: April 03, 2013, 01:11:00 pm »

well, Will_Tuna has not replied. next player is next.

it is now domomasters turn.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

domomaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 04, 2013, 10:08:08 pm »

I had originally planned to get a big update out on Sunday but, well, you'll see.

1 Granite 48 - Utter Confusion
The tales of GateIvory weren't exaggerated. This place is a mess, but I suppose if you toss dwarves into a hopeless situation, they'll rage with insanity after too long.

5 Granite 48
I've outlined a basic plan for my tenure: Get that water tower contraption working again. Try not to foul up the hard work of all the dwarves before me. And build an everlasting monument to my greatness.

7 Granite 48
I've ordered the dwarves to rebuild the screw pumps in the water tower. From what I see, that's all thats keeping it from pouring the might of our river upon them. I plan to have this machine operational by summer.

8 Granite 48
Rigoth Cogkadol completed his great project today. All I see is some stinking Billon Earring with some leather and woll stuck onto it.

12 Granite 48
I've ordered work to begin on my next big project, the monument to my greatness. I've ordered a vast section of cavern to be dug out, and ordered many new rock statues to fill it.

5 Slate 48
Some migrants showed up. they didn't have any impressing skills, so I set them to work on clearing stone out of the halls.

9 Slate 48
A dwarf baby was born. The occasion is joyous, but his name disturbs me. Likot "Fortressscoured." I can't help but feel that this is a bad omen.

13th Felsite 48 - A Vile Force of Darkness has arrived.
Over 60 goblins are at the gates of Gateivory. Excitement has returned to our fortress. I hope that I don't fail these dwarves.

I'll bring you all pictures, and the events of the siege tomorrow. I don't have much hope. We have 10 unskilled soldiers, a half-finished water tower, and a series of traps and levers that I don't really understand.

I will try my best to preserve Gateivory.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 05, 2013, 12:19:58 am »

Most of the levers by the dining room were labeled with notes, though not all of them were clear. The big flooding thing I was was linked there too. Maybe we will see it in use? Regardless, I hope you preserve gateivory too.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 05, 2013, 09:05:01 am »

You know, I never even really understood why those goblins are so eager on inviding us. It's not like we actually have anything worth of stealing. We are like a large camp of bums living in the side of a canyon with a really high mortality rate. Why would anyone want to invide us?
Can't we just rise a white flag with a text "Do not attack us. We are pitiful."  ::)
Well, joking aside,

...Perhaps their scouts saw our "fortress" from afar an noticed the constant stream of trader corpses falling down to the canyon and a river filled with blood and half-naked, drowning dwarves and thought that we are some kind of an evil citadel. (which really isn't that hard to imagine. Perhaps they saw our enormous slavepen.. The collection of cages filled with uncountable number of beasts and humanoids) Now they are here to save the land from the unholy scourge that is Gateivory. Kind of like Boatmurdered but without the lava.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:07:18 am by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 05, 2013, 01:58:05 pm »

maybe they've heard rumors of the dark place deep beneath gateivory. maybe they have come for that OTHER fortress...
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 07, 2013, 06:51:56 am »

tobad for you but good for the fort nothing happend. i'm going on holliday from next friday till sunday 7th of april so if my turn comes up, i can start from the 8th the soonest

well, Will_Tuna has not replied. next player is next.

it is now domomasters turn.

so can i go next?
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 07, 2013, 01:44:09 pm »

thats up to tahujdt and BP. if they give their consent, then yes. if not, I can put you on the end of the list, which isnt that far off anyways.

edit
ah! oh hell I didnt see the post about you goin on vacation. because of this laps in my attention, I think I can see fit you move you into the next position. tahujdt, BP, is this alright?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:13:44 pm by saltmummy626 »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 08, 2013, 09:33:02 am »

I'm ok with it.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

domomaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 08, 2013, 07:40:55 pm »

We live on.

The total number of invaders was 1 marksman squad, 2 maceman squads and 1 troll squad. I probably overestimated their numbers a bit last report, but overall it was around 50 goblins.

I drafted one squad of marksdwarves right before the battle, but all in all we only had 19 soldiers. I hoped that the entrance flood chamber would kill most of the goblins. It worked perfectly.

The first phase of the goblins involved goblins standing right in front of a massive gush of water out of the side of a wall. They tumbled down the hill, accumulating a couple minor injuries. The major hurt came when they fell down the side of the canyon, and drowned in part of the river-diverting apparatus.

Unfortunately, some goblins landed in the dry part of the canyon, and the dwarves were forced to fight. This fight was mostly uneventful, with major victories had on our side. But one recruit did die:Aban Matuldakost. It is probably worth mentioning that some trader died too near the beginning of the siege. He was loitering around the edge of the map. I don't remember his name.

The canyon was clear of enemies, but their were still some trolls and macemen alive, safe from the water-slide. So I closed off the floodgates, and sent the military out to kill them. This went well, until one of the trolls destroyed one of the floodgates. This sent him, Shem Oddomarek OmerKebul Morul and Kol Tanber Onolsresh Betan tumbling down the hill. Kol died of a fur robe to the brain, and Shem fell down into the canyon and died in mortal combat with a goblin. I picture that fight happening like gandalf and the balrog on a smaller scale.

So overall, it was a successful battle. 4 deaths, and a broken floodgate. Too bad two of the three surnamed dwarves in the fort died. Right now, it's hematite 8, and I'm scrambling to get that floodgate fixed. I don't think there is any backup floodgate is there? I think I'll use the pump method and see how it goes.

Sorry for no pictures, I can get them up later, but I'm not sure how to do it on here.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 08, 2013, 09:21:08 pm »

if its the floodgates im thinking of, then its gonna be a horrendous pain in the ass to fix, but at least it wasn't built to be unbreakable. as douglas adams once said, anything that is said to not be able to go wrong or break, is always impossible to fix when they do go wrong or break. ive prolly mashed that up somehow, but that was the gist of it.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 09, 2013, 06:33:09 pm »

I probably should have built in a backup floodgate system. At least it worked how I thought it would! I'm glad it saw use. Hopefully it won't be too hard to fix.
edit: I finally put up some pictures if anyone wants to see the entrance flooder.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:51:11 pm by MiceMiceMice »

domomaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 09, 2013, 10:39:09 pm »

I finally have pictures up imgur.com/a/Wl1LA. The next update should probably come tomorrow. I think I should be done by friday-saturday. The siege wasn't bad at all, but I really screwed up the cleanup. Nothing catastrophic though.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 10, 2013, 12:29:59 am »

I like that a <troll fur robe> killed a goblin. Even the clothing in DF is deadly.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 10, 2013, 02:28:40 pm »

actually it was kol, a dwarf, who died from robe to the brain.
glad to see things are moving along though. good good.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 10, 2013, 02:30:07 pm »

actually it was kol, a dwarf, who died from robe to the brain.
So it was. Good reason not to post/read when extremely tired.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 65