Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87358 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, potential succession game
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 03:49:50 pm »

heh. thats a good idea, the grate thing. the bridge is right along next to the waterfall, so the mist occasionally gets on the dwarves. Im gonna try and get a secure depot area set up before the end of the year, secure for us. not the merchants. we will see. also as to animals, there is another gar and a pike. these two fish are hanging around near the waterfall, just out of its current. mostly birds.

edit; make that two longnose gar and a pike.

OH! I just remembered one other important thing. my raws are uh... modified. they are modified not to generate any man-like or giant variants of any creatures added in 34.xx. does this put anyone off the game? if so, I completely understand. its still got giant eagles, and giant tigers, lions, jaguar, etc etc etc. and the usual stuff with no smaller variant like the GDS are still in of course. I appreciate the work toady put into them, but I dont like catching them in my traps.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:59:32 pm by saltmummy626 »
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 04:00:40 pm »

I don't really mind. I hate having to fight off giant opposums and cavys as well. I'm a little put off by the no animal men as it means the military will have to train up on captured gobbos. Good to hear the GCS is still in though. I do a complex silkfarm/ uber trap where I place a silk farm above a forbidden hallway with cage traps. Because the hall is forbidden the weavers don't go gather the fallen silk and as such Titans and FBs that normally have [TRAP-AVOID] can't get into the fortress. It also helps me get vowels for my zoos.

In the future try to keep the fisherdwarfs away from the areas the gar and pike are near as they will act stupid and fall into the water and we will have a repeat of what happened to my first dorf.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 04:33:51 pm »

What will you do for early wepons? As a dwarf of a military mindset, This is important to me. I would like to be dwarfed as the first decent swordsdwarf in the military.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 05:00:46 pm »

as for weapons, im not sure. the first weapons I was thinking were gonna be cheap copper stuff. maybe buy up a bunch of useless iron crap from the humans to melt down. we do have plenty of lignite, so we can make lots of coke. an interesting note is that hunters are also prone to falling over the falls. also, both of our cats are also in the river.

Summer starts slow. Brodich thinks about frontestro and what he would want… “he would probably build an air drowning trap for fish that go over the falls.” He thinks. The idea is not that farfetched, and would probably save the lives of gateivory’s fishermen if something like this were to happen again. But he must get the masons shop up and going first… Later that day, Brodich was working on setting up an area for some kind of memorial for the still missing frontestro, when a dwarf he did not recognize went plummeting past the bridge. “wha?” he said. He was stunned. Who had that been, and more importantly, where had he come from? Running up to the surface he found a crowd of unfamiliar dwarves gathered around the top of the falls. “who was that, and who are you lot?” they stood around. Later Brodich found out that the dwarf had been one “Inod Nalendok.” She had been dared by her friend “TokimiDwarfy” to jump over the river. she had failed the dare and was swept away. These unfamiliar dwarves, were migrants from the capital. “Inod had led us here.” Said a hunter among the group, Inods husband. “The king sent us along to see how the art program was working out.” Said another dwarf. A fisherdwarf “im lookin for my cousin, he was sent along with the initial party.” Brodich soon learned that this dwarf was frontestro’s cousin. The lass, Frontestro the second, (an odd name for a cousin and not a daughter) was distraught to find out that her uncle had vanished not long ago. Brodich decided it would be politic not to mention his fall from the falls. Much later, the dwarves learned of Frontestro the seconds proficiency at the mechanical art.

The kea! Brodich hated them, they came and stole things, and the one thing Brodich really could have no truck with, was thieves. Stomping off in a huff to work on the second bridge to his new trade depot area he had designed, he noticed a dwarf. That huntsdwarf. A nice lady he thought, then of course, he noticed what she was doing. At first, he couldent make heads or tails of it. then he realized she was not standing on anything. After another second, he saw where she was. In the water. The waterfall. She had fallen over the waterfall just like frontestro, just like Inod. “godsdammit!” he said aloud. The other dwarves around him did not seem to notice their kinsman falling silently into the blue abyss below.

summer ends, the chill on the air is a sign of winter, and the leaves begin to change.

All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 07:32:25 pm »

Yeah... we need to set up some grates or a floor or something the dwarfs are dropping like flies. Now we need three slabs and unless we get something up soon. Or completely forbid the river. Dwarf are just gonna keep falling to their doom...

TokimiDwarfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 07:35:52 pm »

Mwhaha :3 My dwarf is so dwarfy daring someone to go over a waterfall just like my mother. Could I get a view of my dwarfsheet? :D [aka likes dislikes stats and stuff.]

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 09:46:10 pm »

its alright, ive got grates set up 1 zlevel below the brink. so alls good. Ive broken into the caverns, but haven't had much to do with them yet. ive installed some walls around the breach, and am gonna put in a door as well that should serve as a minor deterrent to things like crundles and such.

as for your dwarf tokimi, here it is.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More migrants. Among them a trader, and several dwarves skilled in masonry. “the king sent us along to help out with the engraving replacement effort.” Said the two masons to the overseer. “where do you want us?” Brodich didn’t have a place, but all at once he thought of something. “the living chambers, get down there and start smoothing the walls.” With that, the masons hurried off to get the work that need to be done, done. After that, he was relegated to stomping about, trying to get the various construction jobs done.

Somewhere else in the fortress, two dwarves are speaking to each other. “why are we putting these stupid grates in under the water fall? This is stupid.”
“shut up, these things will save lives, plus think of the fish!”
“whatever… whats that over there?”
The first dwarf pointed to a niche dug into the wall on the other end of the grate bridge.
“memorial chamber, for those lost over the falls.” The second dwarf said.
In another part of the settlement, a water buffalo suddenly gives out a cry and collapses, the starved stack of its ribs showing its cause of death.
Back in the workshops, Brodich is work hard on engraving a piece. A slab of stone. The last of those that need to be engraved. On the slab it says;  “In memory of Frontestro amemiteb / Went missing in the year 36.

And deep under the fortress. The miners break through the stone and into a cavern underground, the first thing they notice is the massive web of a giant cave spider.

A week later, merchants arrived at gateivory. Come to take away trinkets and to deliver goods needed by the fort. It was at this time, that the liason let it slip that the land beneath gateivory had no metal. “what did you say!?” shouted Brodich, “nothing? Nothing at all?! How are we to defend ourselves without ore to make weapons or armor? how are we to pay you for your goods!?” the liason shrugged, a smug smile upon his face. “I don’t know, and I don’t care. Neither does the king.” He said. “your gonna be here awhile guy.” Brodich was furious, he went back to the bridge which he had built at the beginning of his year as overseer. It was only autumn, but he had already decided that he would not be responsible for the death of any more dwarves. he would work out his sentence here, but he would not lead the settlement for the time he was meant to spend. While he was pondering, another dwarf approached, his friend the miner Oddom.  “the broker bought an anvil. Thatll be good for us.” he said. “ha,” responded brodich sourly, “have you yet to see any ore at all in the ground here? You know why? There isn’t any.” Oddom nodded. “we will have to take what we can get from the merchants then. Maybe the goblins too.” Brodich put his head in his hands and dropped himself down onto the bridge. “the goblins! Oddom, what are we going to do about the goblins with no weapons or armor?” Oddoms only comment was that, “woods as good as steel when it comes to traps.”

Winter falls. A blanket of white covers the world as it sleeps through the long cold season.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:39:24 pm by saltmummy626 »

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 10:13:52 pm »

Inspite of all thats happened good job so far. Happy to see we got a large influx of masons. Gonna need them for the walls and the military towers. As for traps if we have wood lets build 20 our so mechanisms and make some cage traps baby! Also have you decided where the well is going too be placed? The blood is going to make placement difficult... Also GCS in the first cavern yay!

Edit: building destroiers will path directly to that door set traps or make a bridge instead otherwise cave monsters will overwhelm us in days.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:55:34 pm by Frontestro »

TokimiDwarfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 10:47:08 pm »

Did you mean to post twice about the grates up to where the water buffalo died? and also thanks for showing me my stats :D!

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 11:44:40 pm »

did I post twice? hm. your welcome. as for traps, and mechanisms, I had a whole lot of mechanisms ready, but I didnt have enough trade goods ready. so I traded the mechanisms. the things were worth more than the trade goods I did have anyways. also, the caravan didn't bring a single drop of booze. nothing but lots of blood. Ive got a wooden wall set up right now, the depot im using is (hopefully) temporary. we could stand to have a better design though, I just wanted to get it sealed up before kobolds or greenskins showed up.

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 11:57:30 pm »

Well then time to make a still. Also can you give us a list of what items you requested?  And anyways we need to make hundreds of mechanisms as quality of mechanism = weapon skill for weapon traps.

Edit: not to be a bother but I would like a stat showing as well... If its bit to much of a bother...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:59:36 pm by Frontestro »

TokimiDwarfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 12:19:07 am »

^^^^ Double posted there :P sorry for bothering just wanted to know if you ment to do that xD and I like my dwarf :3 she seems dwarfy.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:21:06 am by TokimiDwarfy »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 12:11:30 pm »

oh no, tokimi its fine. I see what I did now, thanks. I do that quite a bit in my writing unfortunately.
and here is your dwarf frontestro.
as for industries, ive got mechanism making set to repeat, im trying to convince the wood cutter to get to chopping, I havent requested anything as the expedition leader is too busy eating and drinking to meet with the liaison. we have a start at pig tail industry, one of our stonecrafters was also a hunter who went over the falls before the grate was installed so stone crafts are slow to manufacture.

now, to finish winter!

okay, ill list what im requesting.
copper, bronze, steel,(iron doesnt seem to be available on the list)
all types of weapons and bolts
trap implements (usually horribly expensive, so I dont expect anyone to actually buy them.)
as per request, I also ordered llamas and alpacas. along with those two animals, I also ordered dogs and cats (to replace the two cats we started with) and turkeys
booze
nuggets of almost every kind. iron does not appear to be available to our civ. which is odd, becuase they have steel.
cages
and finally, barrels of lye. I find it easier when I dont have to make it myself. plus, its always handy to have some lye handy for... I dont know. removing ones fingerprints just in case you pull a lever that shouldent be pulled.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:22:58 pm by saltmummy626 »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 12:25:40 pm »

Ahh, GCS. We won't last long in a spider fight without armor, so that is a priority. Maybe we focus on marksdwarves? crossbows and bolts can be out of wood, and do decent damage AND pierce armor even when wooden.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 01:32:06 pm »

Agreements are made, and soon the merchants leave, grinning smugly over the plight of gateivory. One thing that also catches Brodichs eye as he looks over the import agreement is that the capital does not have any iron available. “whats this about?” he said, pointing to the metals portion of the agreement. The merchant had looked at it carefully, then handed it back. “its an import agreement.” Brodich stomped, “No you damned fool, there’s not iron on this agreement!” the liaison simply tapped his foot and said “of course not, we need it all for the war effort.” Brodich closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead. “okay, what did we agree to send along?” the trader handed him another slip of paper, which he went over carefully. “alright, this is acceptable.” They shook hands, and parted ways.

Brodich stomped off to the bridge. He had much to think about, they needed trap componants, and brodich was afraid the trade tunnel wouldent be finished in time to pass on control of the settlement. He had long overcome his fear of hights, but he always stills got a queasy sense of vertigo when he looked down off the bridge, a feeling he detested. His time was spent on the bridge, thinking. The mist of water from the falls made the bridge slightly slick, brodich thought it might be a good idea to build some kind of barrier to stop people from slipping and falling off. Suddenly though, brodich stopped. There was something making odd noises in the tunnel ahead. What was in that tunnel? Brodich thought frantically, “it must be some animal.” Over and over again. Those ungodly noises, a deep “booming” noise. A moment later, a strange bird came into view.

Brodich relaxed. The thing was not bigger than a smallish dog. It looked like a parrot. “don’t worry, ill get it!” cried one of the other masons, who had recently been given the title of militia captain. Brodich watched in horror as the dwarf calmly walked over to the defenseless bird and dropped his heavy bronze hammer on it. “taken care of!” said the mason proudly.

Spring arrives, the overseers tenure ends as the frost recedes, revealing new life.

Im raging right now, I tried to post this earlier, but of course the net decided it couldn't find the forums. bah. anyways. I finished the trade tunnel, just barely. cages and spike are being made, and the bridges leading to the depot should be hooked to levers.
above is a map of the top layer of the fortress, farms are one level down, on the same level youll find the waterfall safety system/fish catcher. deeper down are the bedrooms and clay works. new beds are also being made, and part of the bedrooms are being engraved.

misko27 hasnt been dorfed yet, we didnt have any sword dwarves.

im going to message the next player, if he/she doesn't respond in... 3 days, we will move on to the next player.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6665
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 65