Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87522 times)

Gulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2012, 04:59:15 pm »

The Life of Gulf the Overseer, Part 3

15th of Malachite

Gulf walked towards his room, having just spent some time looking at a shale door constructed by a possessed Reg Ororast. While Gulf admired the craftsmanship, it seemed a little odd to put a picture of the artifact on the artifact. After all, how could you make a picture of the artifact before the artifact was finished? You wouldn't know what it looks like, not until you finished it, but it wouldn't be finished until you finished the picture of the artifact on it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"I guess that's the power of getting possessed by forces unknown." Gulf mused as a crowd of new faces passed him. A new wave of migrants had arrived, sending the fortress to 72 souls. Thankfully, Gulf still didn't have to have any new rooms built, though they had run out of beds. Gulf climbed up to his favorite spot on the windmill and looked out at the surrounding countryside, and spotted something rather odd not too far off. One of the elven traders had never left, and had instead decided to go stark raving mad, and his beast of burden, a water buffalo, had gone berserk. This was accompanied by a stream of dwarfs attempting to relieve the creature of the goods it was carrying, but they kept getting driven off by the insane water buffalo. "HEY, IDIOTS!" Gulf yelled from the windmill to the dwarfs below. "JUST KILL THE DAMN THING!" Immediately, several dwarfs from the militia ran into the fortress, emerging some time later, armed to the teeth. "Not sure why they need my permission to do that..." Gulf muttered as his forces made short work of the buffulo, claiming the elven goods for the good of the fort.

8th Sandstone

Gulf felt good. At long last he had finished his pet project: The Noble Quarter.
"The mayor should be happy with this for a good long time" Gulf laughed "And a happy Mayor is one who doesn't bother me with asinine requests!" The best part of the Noble Quarter, however, was the revolutionary "Noble Hydration System". Using the artifact floodgate "Eserushil", one could hydrate every noble living there, and the place was connected to the fortress in such a way that no...undeserving peons would get hydrated. Additionally, he had reorganized the military so that someone else was in charge of it (thank Teshkad), and had constructed a proper barracks to train the small squad. Five dwarfs was overkill, anyway, all they had to deal with was the occasional thief or snatcher. There hadn't even been a single ambush while Gulf was Overseer. Climbing to the top of the windmill, Gulf relaxed. This fortress was a paragon of peace and prosperity, and Gulf would be remembered as one of the ones who ushered in that era. A era where Gulf wouldn't have to worry about anyth-

An arrow thunked in to the windmill, inches from Gulf's head.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2012, 05:20:45 pm »

uh oh  :P
at least life isn't boring anymore.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2012, 06:04:27 pm »

I Knew this would happen. 30 socks says next overseer inherits a either ruined or turtleing fort.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2012, 06:44:58 pm »

I'm the next overseer and I'll take you up on that. If I he turtles the clothers will produce 30 socks. If he doesn't turtle or its half ruined I want 30 SHOES from you on your turn, made of LEATHER!

Gulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2012, 08:46:38 pm »

The Life of Gulf the Overseer, Part 4

This is the ballad of Boslutkok "The Scabrous Assaults", as sung by the bards in the Mountain Halls. It relates to Boslutkok, an attack on Gateivory as part of Snumnoaslez "The Scorching War".

There once was a goblin,
Nako Haxwoods,
Who sought the blood,
Of Gateivory.

He rode a great beast,
an Olm they called it,
thirsting for the blood,
of Gateivory.

They came from the south,
numbered one and six,
Intent on the wealth,
of Gateivory.

The Overseer saw them,
From upon the mill,
marching on the cliffs,
of Gateivory.

The coward Gulf called,
destroy the bridges,
and we will be safe,
in Gateivory!

There was a ranger,
Meng Daturtekkud,
who had hunted many foes,
at Gateivory.

He shot the Olm,
and its rider fell,
down into the heart,
Of Gateivory.

Oddom Zustashushrir,
A Speardwarf great,
Slew Hexwoods there,
At Gateivory.

The seige was broken,
the goblins fled,
Boslutkok was ended,
At Gateivory.

But the Scorching War goes on...

But the Scorching War goes on...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's my turn folks! Sorry I took awhile, but I hope you enjoyed reading the write up! During the siege, an artifact statue was made:

I put it next to his slab in the Memorial Hall, so Inod will not be forgotten.

Year end stats:

Save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6725

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:56:24 pm by Gulf »

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2012, 09:54:43 pm »

Beautifully done, both the ballad and the memorial.
edit: and the defense too

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2012, 09:56:13 pm »

Welp. I owe someone shoes then. But theres always another day...

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2012, 09:58:51 pm »

I still can't believe you repelled the siege so easily. Wait... did you say a marksdwarf killed the olm? Were having *olm roast* tonight! Gateivory lives!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2012, 10:01:44 pm »

We have no weapons. I'm going to execute someone for foolishness when I get there. If your at all curious, I plan on being a B student at the dwarven academy of overseeing with a sadistic streak. Theres more twists, but you'll find them later.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2012, 10:40:00 pm »

Most Excellent™

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2012, 08:43:25 am »

Ok guys. My turn as overseer. If anyone wants a dorfing or a previous overseer has a plan or wants a leaver pulled tell me now before I show up and kill five guys by pulling the wrong bridge leaver or releasing an FB on our populace from the caverns below.

My plans as overseer are as follows:
1. Add lots more traps (fix any problems with our current defensive grid)
2. Complete the upper fort walls (with fortifications and such)
3. Create a grand catacombs.
4. Start training a proper military. (I see Gulf started one up for us at least so that makes my job easier_
5. Survive till winter to pass the buck to the next fool.

If anyone thinks I should add/remove stuff from the list tell me now as once I get started its no stops till summer.

Gulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2012, 09:19:06 am »

In regards to fixing any holes in the defense, the bridges over the chasms are exposed to the open air, so attackers can fire arrows down at any dwarfs crossing. That said, we can shoot bolts right back, which is how Meng was able to kill the Olm.
As for a grand catacombs, I did build a mausoleum for ~14 dwarfs, but it is in no way grand. An expansion/redesign would be great.

ALSO: The "Noble Hydration Lever" is marked by a note, so finding it shouldn't be an issue. Pulling it will cause fun for anyone currently in the Noble Quarter.
The first and second bridges are also linked to levers, but they are unmarked.

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2012, 09:53:58 am »

Alrighty then. I'll get to work sealing off our entryways. We got lucky this time that they weren't all marks gobbos that rained death down upon us. This should also prevent stupid dorfs for dodging to their doom. How many falling/ drowning deaths is it now? 5? I don't think we've lost dwarf to anything but the stupid river and waterfall so I may plan on making our fort a little more safe to such things during my turn.

My catacombs will be very large so I will probably wind up using an un-used layer for them maybe 75x75 in size... grand tombs for nobles around the outer edge so no one ever has to look at their stinking coffins ever, and on the level below a "Hall of Heroes" for past overseers and honored military dwarfs... hmmm... yes very nice...

In other news. Do we have a hospital? I don't think I've heard of any non-life taking injuries so I assume no. And has anything exciting in the caverns happened yet? Giant Olm? Cave Croc? Trogs? Anything?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2012, 01:16:12 pm »

Beware of caverns. Recently in my fort, a small number of crundles showed up. While my hunters hunted them, they were suddenly reinforced, bringing their numbers to 36. I lost a good dwarf that day, fortunately a elite marksdwarf was in the area and casually killed about half of them and crippled the other half. Without metal, our adantage is even smaller.

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2012, 02:12:51 pm »

Definitely we need better defenses. If we don't have one by my turn (unlikely in my opinion) I am building us a doomsday lever.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 65