Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Idea!  (Read 2070 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Idea!
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:14:47 pm »

So I just had an Idea. Alot of the time when people make bastions or whatever you want to call them as the last hope for dwarven kind and seal off the mini fortress the dwarfs eventually go insane. Mostly. So what if we did that on purpose and then sent all the insane beserking dwarfs to the surface to fight monsters and sieges? What do you guys think?

Do dwarfs calm down after awhile or keep on beserking? If they don't calm down we could cage them up and release them on sieges. Elf sieges...  :P

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idea!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:21:00 pm »

Provided you could keep them from killing each other, they'd calm down of thirst or starvation eventually, unless they were vampires.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 03:31:03 pm »

Thing is, they only occasionally go berserk.  I seem to mostly get melancholy or insane rather than berserk.  Melancholy or insane dorfs won't do much of anything to defend themselves, so they'd be easily slain.  Berserk dorfs attack anything they can reach, but they aren't any tougher than regular dorfs, just (more) insane. 

Then you'd have to figure out how to actually get your nutso dorfs in place, since insane dorfs won't follow burrow or squad orders. 

They never do regain their sanity.  An insane dorf is effectively dead dorf walking, one way or another.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 03:35:01 pm »

An insane dorf is effectively dead dorf walking

Then find the necromancer.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 05:59:25 pm »

It isn't a good idea. When dwarfs go insane they have 3 options: melancholy, stark raving mad and berserk. Only if they go berserk they're capable to kill things. after a while they die of hunger or thirst.

therealmarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:40:16 pm »

Alot

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Provided you could keep them from killing each other, they'd calm down of thirst or starvation eventually, unless they were vampires.

Perform a rite of vampire well in the refuge.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 11:43:23 pm »

wait a minute, so a insane vampire can be insane forever? how sad. Never really occured to me.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 09:04:37 am »

wait a minute, so a insane vampire can be insane forever? how sad. Never really occured to me.
New plan?  198 insane vampires locked into individual cells.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 04:52:16 pm »

I always work to catch my berserk dwarves, even i use useless migrants for army of the insane. I lock those poor bastards into a room with some food, and drop in corpses, give them copper weapons and armor, and make some cage traps outside, after few years i probably have few berzerkers for pit fights.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Jalen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 04:56:43 pm »

I have seen melancholy dwarves kick some serious ass. Don't ever try to send inexperienced military dwarves after that sad legendary miner. He will rip them apart. Of course i don't think they will do much against marksman.

TheDanish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 06:42:37 pm »

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Any time one of my dorfs goes berserk I find it difficult to "funnel" him in any direction.

My first fort -ever- saw two berserk dorfs.  The first I managed to lock in the dining room, along with another poor individual who, of course, found the entirety of his remaining existence defined by an absence of limbs.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 06:54:42 pm »

Welcome to the forums. We hope you will enjoy your stay. Heres a elf-leather sock.

I gennerally ignore the insane. The melancholy are confined to their rooms if I can. Berzerkers I try to catch, since cage traps affect them. Mostly though, they spend time beating up children before the police arive with sharp objects and remind them whos the boss.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 07:09:10 pm »

Can insanity type be manipulated? For instance, if violence causes a dwarf to go insane, is he/she more likely to go berserk? (If so, grief might cause melancholy more often, and perhaps stark-raving-mad is just a sort of "general" madness?)
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 09:48:32 pm »

Alot

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Perform a rite of vampire well in the refuge.
That made me laugh alot. Oh,therealmaruader I had to tell you that made laugh. I have to stop talking to alot...
Pages: [1] 2