Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 3DS game recommendations  (Read 5574 times)

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
3DS game recommendations
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:08:53 am »

I just got a 3DS as a gift, so I need to grab some games to play. Considering how long the DS has been a thing I figure I've probably missed out on some games worth playing. Anyone care to help point out some good stuff? Genre doesn't matter too much. I prefer RPGs and adventure games, but if something has good gameplay/story the actual genre is secondary.

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS game recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 11:15:41 am »

I really liked Super Mario 3D Land, and if you enjoy remakes you can always go for Star Fox 64 3D

Then you have the Pokemon series having it's own assortment of games, although most of them are normal DS (although they still play on 3DS)

Those are just ones I've played and liked, I haven't been able to buy very many 3DS games as of yet.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 12:14:08 pm »

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor:Overclocked(SRPG)
Kid Icarus Uprising(From what I've heard)
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:15:53 pm »

Dragon Quest IX. It's a normal DS game, takes a while to get going in, but it's not bad as cutesy RPGs go.

Are there any decent strategy, war or management games on the DS or 3DS? I was thinking of buying on at some point (sold my last one), and wouldn't mind something with a bit of replayability. A civ-like would be favourite.
It's a game. Have fun.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:34:18 pm »

Are there any decent strategy, war or management games on the DS or 3DS? I was thinking of buying on at some point (sold my last one), and wouldn't mind something with a bit of replayability. A civ-like would be favourite.
There's Civilization Revolution. I don't know if you'd consider it decent, though. Pretty simple.

Ocarina of Time is on the 3DS, and it's an excellent game.

Pokemon

Spectrobes is pretty fun. Again, original DS game. I had a DS Lite a while ago, so I don't know of much newer.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:56:20 pm »

There's a Fire Emblem Games, Pokemon Conquest, Devil Survivor 1, 2 & Overclocked (as UV partially pointed out), Dragon Quest Wars (a download), Disgaea DS, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings...

...Then again, those are all Strategy RPGs. If you're looking for pure strategy ala Civilization, I don't know of much. But certain ones (especially Disgaea) do have a lot of management in them.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 11:39:24 pm »

The advance wars games make pretty decent strategy / tactics games. They control much like the Fire Emblem games and there is always a main story line. The main difference is that only the generals are carried between games and you can build new units, capture cities to generate money, capture factories and similar. There are also a huge number of bonus maps with some more to do than the main story missions. You should even be able to play the GBA ones if you decide you like them.

You also have Anno 1701 but it's pretty basic and the combat leaves a lot to be desired.

I haven't played them but you might get on with the Age of Empires game for the DS. I fear most strategy games will be pretty basic.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 11:44:32 pm »

Star Fox 64 3D and Ocarina of Time 3D are both great remakes.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 11:50:46 pm »

I'll happily recommend The World Ends With You to anyone who owns a DS. It's an immensely clever RPG by Square Enix that does an excellent job of capitalizing upon the DS's more outlandish traits without ever descending into being a simple tech demo. It should be pretty cheap by this point, having come out for the original DS back in the dark days of 2008.

The narrative is a glorious story of what happens when you drop a fairly standard misanthropic amnesiac JRPG protagonist into a setting where failure to become a worthwhile human being will kill him. What follows is raw, fashion-mongering, vending-machine-dropping, pin-collecting, precision-snacking brilliance.

Oh, and in spite of what the box and Wikipedia think, the game has excellent multiplayer. The game runs separate but co-dependant combats on each of the DS's screens and it's a bit much for one brain to handle, so you'll tend to leave the partner's screen running the fairly good AI mode. Switching the AI off and having a friend use half the buttons to manage the top screen while I used the stylus to fight on the bottom one is some of the best fun I've had with a DS. Surprisingly effective too.
... and then it explodes!

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 12:12:58 am »

I didn't like the world ends with you,
something about it just turned me off.

but I suggest Professor Layton, there are 3 games that I know of, idk I havent checked in a while as I no longer have my DS, but the first one was the best, the other two are meh/bleh status.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 12:16:12 am »

Guys, 3DS was what was asked for not DS, we all know there are countless great DS games out there but try and stick to the 3DS ones...

I don't know about its US/Euro launch date but just recently here in Aus the Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns just arrived and its pretty good for a Harvest Moon game, better then some of the DS ones anyway...

Samurai Warriors Chronicles is great fun if you like that style of HackandSlash games. Though the amount of action on screen can quickly lead you to taking off the 3D side of things. So much camera spinning when your not careful...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 12:17:42 am »

Kid Icarus Uprising

Gameplay is fast paced and fun with lots of intense action and collecting weapons,and the writing is just utterly fantastic.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 12:32:05 am »

Guys, 3DS was what was asked for not DS, we all know there are countless great DS games out there but try and stick to the 3DS ones...
Considering how long the DS has been a thing I figure I've probably missed out on some games worth playing.
Sounds like he's looking for DS and 3DS games.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 02:19:17 am »

Contact is an underrated RPG on the DS I greatly enjoyed. It's quite idiosyncratic but worth a look.

You also have Front Mission which is a turn based tactical mech RPG. It's a remake of the first one but with a load of new content. From what I understand it doesn't tarnish the original with the new content either.

Another RPG suggestion: Any of the Mario and Luigi series are pretty decent. Well written and funny too. They are often quite self aware games when it comes to the humour. The first is a GBA game but the other two are for the DS.

You also might like Orcs & Elves. It's a first person turn based RPG a bit like a first person roguelike. The levels are mostly linear but it's quite a charming game. You play as an elf fighting your way through a fallen dwarven mountain home.

Two games somewhat similar are The Dark Spire and Etrian Odyssey. Both are first person RPGs again but this time with random encounters. I found both to be quite unforgiving in terms of difficulty. Etrian Odyssey even has you drawing your own maps on the bottom screen in a sense.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 07:22:51 am »

If you like Final Fantasy and Rythm games, Theatrythm.

If you like ports or something, Tales of the Abyss.

If you like Dissapointment, try Heroes of Ruin.
Everybody!
Pages: [1] 2