Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question on goblins  (Read 2172 times)

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question on goblins
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:03:44 am »

I had a goblin baby snatcher try taking one my my kids but quickly disposed of him now my question is... Will goblins attack me soon? if so i gotta get training

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Question on goblins
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 11:06:33 am »

I had snatchers jack some of my kids and havent gotten attacked in about a year since it happened, so, while its still possible for you to get raided, i dont think it would be due to the pedo goblins.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:17:55 am »

Quick answer: You gotta get training.
Sooner or later you will need them. And training takes time, even more if you're not used to it.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:04:55 pm »

Quick answer: You gotta get training.
Sooner or later you will need them. And training takes time, even more if you're not used to it.
I just made a legendary axe dwarf in a miniute from scratch ( Danger room 10 spears on each tile except bottom right and its a 2x2 room station him in there and lock the door beind him ) + legendary fight and shield user but not dodger -.-

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:24:40 pm »

you usually get a few seasons of snatchers before the first ambush and some abushes before the first siege. A couple of trained up marksdwarfs set to melee training will have bolts and survival skills to chase off most early snatchers. However, a big ambush will need more than 1 dwarf, especially since one may be asleep when you spot them. Usually, marksdwarfs rock because they disable and cause pain, scaring away some and making the rest less combat ready, making them easier targets for melee dwarfs
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 12:49:41 pm »

Marksdwarves suffer from the fact that they are even more clunkier to outfit properly than melee military, and training them takes a lot longer to set up and maintain.
I usually chose two dwarfs to start training as soon as I get the first migrant wave. By the time I get any ambushes I usually have at least two very skilled melee dwarfs. Be sure to equip them with shields and they will easily swat out arrows out of the air.
Don't count on them to stand up against an elite goblin bowman, however.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:29:06 pm »

Marksdwarves suffer from the fact that they are even more clunkier to outfit properly than melee military, and training them takes a lot longer to set up and maintain.

Though it's a lot easier to do now because you can mass-produce metallic bolts now that each piece of ore produces 4 bars. You can also get away with only marginal armor because they're not really expected to get into melee, a leather/wooden shield, and stick them behind some stone Fortifications. Melee dwarves require expensive metal weapons and full sets of armor.  And as for archery practice? have them hunt local wildlife.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 04:32:10 pm »

If a goblin snatcher steals a kid, that kid will lead a full-out siege against your fort when they grow up. So if a 11yr gets snatched, get training.

Atleast I am pretty sure this happens. I never let goblins snatch my kiddies.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 04:34:35 pm by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 04:37:36 pm »

i hope thats not the case.
eh. they normaly get mobbed by brewers anyways.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 04:25:31 am »

If a goblin snatcher steals a kid, that kid will lead a full-out siege against your fort when they grow up. So if a 11yr gets snatched, get training.

since no time passes outside your fort, how do they grow up?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 04:42:57 am »

I thought that creatures outside your fort do grow older. For instance, I've seen some traders die of old age as soon as they enter my embark site.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 04:48:29 am »

since no time passes outside your fort, how do they grow up?

I think it just checks it's age and tracks how many years it would take to become a fullgrown, then just bumps it's age up when it returns.

Again, I am just going off of DF stories and such.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 10:23:07 am »

I've heard of elf or human or dwarf captains in goblin groups, but never of someones own captured baby or child returning. Yes the fort checks how old someone on the map is (and they can die of old age then) but when off map while children grow older, they don't grow into adults untill they enter your map. Since the captured dwarf is a child, children don't grow up and children can't be part of an ambush/siege group (I think), it's unlikely to happen.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 10:32:57 am »

I've heard of elf or human or dwarf captains in goblin groups, but never of someones own captured baby or child returning. Yes the fort checks how old someone on the map is (and they can die of old age then) but when off map while children grow older, they don't grow into adults untill they enter your map. Since the captured dwarf is a child, children don't grow up and children can't be part of an ambush/siege group (I think), it's unlikely to happen.
Exactly.
Abducted dwarfs cannot come back. Since the world outside is frozen in time they never grow up and never become part of the goblin civilisation. You can see in Legends mode that dwarfs that were abducted during world gen become members of the goblin civilisation once they grow up and often they will become baby snatchers. You can get ambushed by those of course, but never by a dwarf who was abducted from your fort.
Apparently anything that ever leaves your map cannot come back. If you get human diplomats every year, it will be a different one every time. In Legends mode you can see that the human civ gets a new law-giver every year since they started visiting you.
Age is only checked if something enters your map, like your king dropping dead on arrival from old age.
You can even see the thoughts of your abducted children, they always remain babys and have the "is happy to be free" thought as if you let them out of the bag...

Circusdawg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf is tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 11:11:37 am »

i've had a naked mole monster with armour leading the goblins during a siege
Pages: [1] 2