Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Choking pump output  (Read 384 times)

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Choking pump output
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:05:20 am »

Okay, so I got the bright idea to use my fort's reservoir to create a nice misty waterfall at the entrance to my dining hall.  Built a pump stack and a closed system so that the water gets spit out by the pumps, falls through some grates the z-level above the dining hall to create mist, falls through drainage grates at the dining hall level, and then goes back down to the reservoir.  Simple, right?  Riiiiiight.  Well, of course the problem is the prodigious output of the screw pumps - within seconds, my dining room was flooding.  I was hoping the grates would mitigate the flow a little, but it does not appear to be the case.  The drainage grates are directly below the top grates, but water appears in those tiles faster than the drainage grates can dispose of it (both are sets of 5 grates built in an X shape).  Is there anything I can do to slow the flow of water or, failing that, to improve the drainage?
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choking pump output
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:17:06 am »

You could force the water to flow through some walls diagonally. This would neutralize it's pressure.
Feeling down? Click Here!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:03:24 am »

You need to force the water through a diagonal, then leave 5-6 tiles before the drop. This gives the water space to reduce flow. If you put the drop directly after the pressure reducer, it will let the water get down to 1/7 or 2/7 before falling. I use a square 3x3 room at the top of my waterfalls, with a hole in the middle. This seems to provide a more even flow, with 1/7 or 2/7 tiles of water falling and generating mist very frequently.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 11:01:16 am »

Thanks, that did the trick.  I had to try a couple different configurations before I got one that worked well enough (your tip was dead on, GhostDwemer) but now I have happy dwarfs and a swamp-free dining room.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?