Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Big bones  (Read 4380 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Big bones
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:59:58 pm »

I have a dwarf in a strange mood, and for some reason, instead of claiming the craftsdwarf workshops that he walked straight past, he decided to claim the ones down at my adamantine extraction spot. He then decided he wanted bones from the surface, and yeah, that's fine... I check up on him regularly, and noticed that he's barely moving. Thinking he must be carrying a ton of lead or something on him, I check his inventory. "Aslot's Bone [37]" weighing 468r!!! Not carrying a ton of lead... almost 7 times heavier than a bar of lead, about 3.5 times heavier than a platinum bar....

My question... what are these bones made out of!!! And, what's the chances of the dwarf collapsing due to exhaustion, or dying from dehydration before he finishes the artifact :p
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Big bones
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:05:58 pm »

First, he is carrying alot of bones, not heavy bones. There is also a bug where all the bones in a stack are used, instead of one. Second, Dwarves are determined little bastards, won't die unless they are struck down. Will keep on moving, and woek for months. Might Ecplain why they go mad if you wait long
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:08:42 pm »

I have a dwarf in a strange mood, and for some reason, instead of claiming the craftsdwarf workshops that he walked straight past, he decided to claim the ones down at my adamantine extraction spot. He then decided he wanted bones from the surface, and yeah, that's fine... I check up on him regularly, and noticed that he's barely moving. Thinking he must be carrying a ton of lead or something on him, I check his inventory. "Aslot's Bone [37]" weighing 468r!!! Not carrying a ton of lead... almost 7 times heavier than a bar of lead, about 3.5 times heavier than a platinum bar....

My question... what are these bones made out of!!! And, what's the chances of the dwarf collapsing due to exhaustion, or dying from dehydration before he finishes the artifact :p
Aslot's not fat! God, you guys are SO MEAN to him! He's just big-boned!
My wooden badge was delicious.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:15:10 pm »

He also dead, So i doubt he will be very upset. If he comes back as ghost and is upset, we just blame Mimodo.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:19:56 pm »

He also dead, So i doubt he will be very upset. If he comes back as ghost and is upset, we just blame Mimodo.

Let's just hope the use of his body in an artefact is enough to keep him happy... but still, this would have been a bloody big creature, if just the bones alone weigh that much... thinking it might be one of those forgotten beasts that tried to kill my dwarves
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:37:03 pm »

The wiki says that one urist is equivalent to 1kg... That means the just the bones weight almost 500kg. I dont want to meat whatever killed that thing

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 12:14:21 am »

Welllllllllllllll, If it is a FB bone artifact, Then you know it was a FB. Just look through the dead listings until youy find aslot.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 12:55:59 am »

Welllllllllllllll, If it is a FB bone artifact, Then you know it was a FB. Just look through the dead listings until youy find aslot.

Didn't think of that. Aslot was a troll. Most likely one of the ones that i trapped in a cage to give my archers some moving targets. Either way, the artifact doesn't look like it's coming... he wants stuff that he's refusing to grab (yes, I have them), so he's now walled in awaiting madness, then slaughter

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 12:58:31 am »

Use DFhack's "showmood" command to see what he wants and if you already have everything create a burrow that includes everything he needs, artifacts using named character bones are the best.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 01:10:18 am »

Didn't think of that. Aslot was a troll. Most likely one of the ones that i trapped in a cage to give my archers some moving targets. Either way, the artifact doesn't look like it's coming... he wants stuff that he's refusing to grab (yes, I have them), so he's now walled in awaiting madness, then slaughter
possibly... Some items have shared names, do you have rock and metal blocks? do you have all types of thread? Perhaps he wants alot of something.Trust me, I've had that same feeling before, It's always been that I've forbid something, or dont have the right type.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 01:43:13 am »

Cloth is especially annoying, since plant cloth, silk cloth, and yarn cloth are considered different but your moody dwarf won't tell you which one he wants.  DFHack's showmood is your friend.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 02:57:29 am »

I think I may have to... although I have a strong feeling he wants the one thing I don't have: Silk cloth

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 07:21:43 am »

I dont want to meat whatever killed that thing.

You don't have to. The meat's already been stripped from the bone!
*rimshot*
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 08:02:25 am »

Quick application of a mod to the smelter will give you silk cloth and save your moody Dwarf with his named-bone artifact.  Edit the raw in your save, with the game closed.  reaction_smelter.txt is the file you want to edit.  Go to the bottom and edit the adamantine entry if you are like me, or otherwise choose some reaction that you will never need in this fortress.  Remove the reactant(s) and product, add the silk cloth product line, and change the name so you can find it at the smelter.  Don't change the "reaction:" line.

[REACTION:ADAMANTINE_WAFERS]
[NAME:make silk cloth from nothing]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:CLOTH:NO_SUBTYPE:CREATURE_MAT:SPIDER_CAVE:SILK][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 08:29:19 am »

[REACTION:ADAMANTINE_WAFERS]
[NAME:make silk cloth from nothing]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:CLOTH:NO_SUBTYPE:CREATURE_MAT:SPIDER_CAVE:SILK][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]
That should be [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:15000].
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2