Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brewing issues  (Read 850 times)

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brewing issues
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:03:32 pm »

I don't know if somewhere along the line I've totally screwed up brewing, but every time I queue up brewing, I get the error "brewer needs distillable item", yet I have over 100 plants from farming alone, all distillable. I've tried compensating with mead, but that has clearly not been a viable form of alcohol. Any ideas?
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brewing issues
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:11:12 pm »

Well there's the general checks: barrels, pathing, stupid dwarven food management.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:24:45 pm »

I get a ton of those messages as well.  But they still seem to pump out booze, so I just sorta avert my eyes.  I think its got something to do with what is specifically in there workstation, at that moment in time.  Like, the Brewer is bitching at the Farmer, for not picking fast enough.  *shrug*

Do you have the plants needed to brew? 
And are they set to brew withing the kitchen list.  Set to brew is blue, if its permissible.
Make sure you have booze type plants, aswell. 
Strawberries, Prickle Berrys, Longland Grass, Rope reed, etc...

Good luck, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:28:29 pm »

I've made sure to have a surplus of barrels, wood becoming my main import. And I honestly didn't know I could set things to brew. I might try that next time I start DF back up...
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:19:04 pm »

With the recent increase in container capacity, ive has this a lot too. It usually seems to be because urist mcfoodhauler has just picked up your only plump helmet barrel with 100 brewable items in it and is carrying it to pick up a single cave wheat from your farm. Try using z then tab to bring up plant stocks when you get the error message and zoom to see if theyre being hauled.
I havent done so but you could probably set max barrels on your still stockpile lower so you always have some that wont get hauled off.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:12:50 am »

Best to have a pair of stockpiles by your still.  Setting food to be "no-mix" in the (o) orders menu is also helpful.

1st stockpile takes brewable plants from anywhere (along with "take" links from the plant stockpiles next to your farm plots) and uses barrels.

2nd stockpile uses barrels, only takes from links, pulls from the 1st stockpile (which is right next to the 2nd stockpile) and gives to the still.

This minimizes the chance that the barrel in the 2nd stockpile, which the brewer wants to use, is going on a trip around the fortress to collect plants.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 08:50:50 am »

If a dwarf is moving the barrel to pick up THAT SINGLE PLANT THAT HAS JUST HARVESTED, all the plants will become unavaiable until he brings the entire barrel filled with plants back.

Use one of the utilities/dfhack that allows you to automatically dispense tasks for booze and stuff when the number of booze and stuff drops under X.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:31:08 am »

And I honestly didn't know I could set things to brew.
Anything that can be cooked or brewed starts out as being cookable or brewable, so it's more a case of setting things to not brew.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 08:44:29 pm »

Yup.  Or not cook, so there's more to brew with.

Plenty of other sources of food, besides plants.. eggs, cheese, meat, fish.. ya don't need to cook these plants. DF should default to not cook, for booze weeds, but alas it doesn't, just like it should default to no mix.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.