Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HFS / candy obtainment details [spoilers]  (Read 3272 times)

peccan

• Bay Watcher
  • Ennen kuin pimeä tulee...
    • View Profile
HFS / candy obtainment details [spoilers]
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:40:04 am »

So, I want candy.

I've found it. Now I want to get it safely.

Is the HFS-related Fun Hole (found inside some candy clusters) always exactly a 2x2 square? Can it be larger? If yes, is it always a square or can it be, say, 3x4? Can it be any shape as long as it involves a 2x2 opening somewhere?

If it's always 4 tiles, can it be any shape covering 4 tiles? If yes, do the tiles have to be orthogonally connected or is diagonal enough like in gem clusters?

mattspierce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HFS / candy obtainment details [spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:32:57 am »

I like to mine candy by clearing away all the surrounding stone first.  Then trim off any candy that is two units or smaller.  Now engrave a fortification into the larger faces.  If you breach the candy hole patch it up with nearby stone. Since you haven't actually created a path to your fortress you don't get Zerg rushed.  Lat breach I had a few clowns hanging around the fortification.  They wandered off shortly after.  Once patched you can see all the way to the car and the rest of the spire can be safely mined as long as you don't breach containment.  The Feds will probably investigate me as a pbear for this post.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:36:49 am »

I like to mine candy by clearing away all the surrounding stone first.  Then trim off any candy that is two units or smaller.  Now engrave a fortification into the larger faces.  If you breach the candy hole patch it up with nearby stone. Since you haven't actually created a path to your fortress you don't get Zerg rushed.  Lat breach I had a few clowns hanging around the fortification.  They wandered off shortly after.  Once patched you can see all the way to the car and the rest of the spire can be safely mined as long as you don't breach containment.  The Feds will probably investigate me as a pbear for this post.
Also once you have a fortification with clowns on the other side, you can train your marksdorfs

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:13:38 am »

The hollow part of the central tube is always a 2x2 square, never larger or a different shape. It doesn't always, or even usually, go all the way to the top of the candy column, but there's no way to tell whether it's present at a given z-level or not without actually digging into it (short of cheating, of course) because there is always at least one 4x4 square of adamantine that could hold the center.

You can actually trim off any bits of candy that are 3 tiles thick or less, not 2.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

peccan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:19:10 am »

This is great guys, thanks. You confirmed what I thought.

Didn't know fortifications don't create pats for clowns... but do they activate the circus? My FPS really really can't handle it.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:46:01 am »

does dwarven road radar still work in the new versions? It's kinda cheating. You try to place a big road over the tube and the 'X's reveal a bit of information about which spaces in the tube are open.

peccan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 03:01:26 pm »

I don't think it does, if I tried correctly.

Anyways, two questions more. "Too deep" can be as high as above the semi-molten layer, if you breach the Fun Tunnel, right?

In case of multiple candy spires, may more than one of them have the Fun Tunnel or is it restricted to just one of them?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 03:29:39 pm »

I don't think it does, if I tried correctly.

Anyways, two questions more. "Too deep" can be as high as above the semi-molten layer, if you breach the Fun Tunnel, right?

In case of multiple candy spires, may more than one of them have the Fun Tunnel or is it restricted to just one of them?

I've always thought that they will all have HFS. But how high up the tunnel goes inside the vein varies. And whether you only trigger the circus once per embark site or once per vein is another question, that I don't know the answer to.

peccan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 03:46:49 pm »

Ehh logically you can only trigger circus once per embark. Once you breach it, it's on. Once you breach it, the clowns come dancing in.

Though if multiple Fun Tunnels can exist, breaching one after the first one would add another path for the clowns right?

Wait, is this what you meant? I'm not sure at all but I think somewhere I miiight just have read that no matter how many times you breach the Fun Tunnel, the clowns will only path through the first breach. But this could be a brainfart from my part.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:29:38 pm »

IIRC Every vein of spoiler metal will have a tunnel to the spoilers in the middle at some depth. And the spoilers will user whatever is the quickest path to get to your dwarves, not only the first one. Though they WILL swarm the hell out of the first one that opens.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 04:50:53 pm »

Ehh logically you can only trigger circus once per embark. Once you breach it, it's on. Once you breach it, the clowns come dancing in.

Though if multiple Fun Tunnels can exist, breaching one after the first one would add another path for the clowns right?

Wait, is this what you meant? I'm not sure at all but I think somewhere I miiight just have read that no matter how many times you breach the Fun Tunnel, the clowns will only path through the first breach. But this could be a brainfart from my part.

Yea what I meant was that I didn't know if the really fun stuff only happens the first time (been assuming this was the case, but haven't ever breached multiple tunnels). Of course there's more paths once you break into the first one, but that's not so bad as the circus, is it?

peccan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 05:40:15 pm »

Doesn't the really fun stuff just keep going on and on? Like, in the bottom of circus, there's a tiny rainbow-speckled clown car, and... it just. Keeps. Spitting out. Clowns. Forever :D

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 06:30:57 pm »

Doesn't the really fun stuff just keep going on and on? Like, in the bottom of circus, there's a tiny rainbow-speckled clown car, and... it just. Keeps. Spitting out. Clowns. Forever :D
No, not really. When you breach the side of a candy tube or remove the sword in a demonic fortress, ~60+ demons immediately spawn and rush you. These seem to have special code that makes them actively seek out your dwarves, probably similar to the code that makes sieges assault your fort. If you kill all of these, they're done. More demons, apparently identical to those, will spawn from the map edges in Hell, usually 3-5 at a time, but these will only assault non-demons that they see and wander randomly like wild animals. Also like wild animals only one group will spawn at a time and more won't come until the last group has left the map, been wiped out, or been captured.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 05:10:45 am »

No, not really. When you breach the side of a candy tube or remove the sword in a demonic fortress, ~60+ demons immediately spawn and rush you. These seem to have special code that makes them actively seek out your dwarves, probably similar to the code that makes sieges assault your fort. If you kill all of these, they're done. More demons, apparently identical to those, will spawn from the map edges in Hell, usually 3-5 at a time, but these will only assault non-demons that they see and wander randomly like wild animals. Also like wild animals only one group will spawn at a time and more won't come until the last group has left the map, been wiped out, or been captured.
Yeah after the initial rush, demons will act like any other creature on the map.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 05:25:12 am »

Also once you have a fortification with clowns on the other side, you can train your marksdorfs

Woopie the clown spits fire!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: [1] 2