Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hello ♥ What do the experts think of this embarkation build?  (Read 3055 times)

Carbonated Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hello ♥ What do the experts think of this embarkation build?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 02:06:00 pm »

thanks for the heads up

another question:

- is it possible to store barrels of water through the winter when the lakes freeze? or is beer the only way?
 - is there any way to automatically have spare (eg: hold 50 discard the rest) non-economic stones thrown in the garbage?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 03:07:28 pm »

thanks for the heads up

another question:

- is it possible to store barrels of water through the winter when the lakes freeze? or is beer the only way?
 - is there any way to automatically have spare (eg: hold 50 discard the rest) non-economic stones thrown in the garbage?

1. Only stuff that's exposed to the surface freezes, underground tiles have constant temperature. So just have booze stockpiles underground, and get a cistern dug out and filled up as well.

2. Probably, eg. have 2 stone stockpiles, where 1 you actually use, and the other is further away from the central staircase (or wherever your dwarves are hauling stone from). Then have the 2nd one automatically quantum stockpile the stuff by building a dumping track stop, making a 1-stop (no orders, just stockpile link and desired items set) hauling route and putting a minecart on it. If you go for this though, why not just quantum stockpile it all next to your workshops?

Instead of dumping on a 1-tile stone stockpile, the track stop can just as well dump into a volcano, or under your atomsmasher, if the goal is to get rid of the stone permanently.

Carbonated Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 03:40:24 pm »

snaake just said lots of things I didn't understand

peccan

• Bay Watcher
  • Ennen kuin pimeä tulee...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 03:41:10 pm »

Why would you even want water in barrels? :D Water is for elves :3

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 06:06:46 pm »

Because injuries don't stop for winter.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 09:49:18 pm »

tip..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another tip..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I avoid taking too many skills during embark, because I use therapist.  I also like 2 lv5 miners, to get a good head start on the stones, I'll need to make the fortress. 

Here is my critique of the embark spreadsheet.  Don't take brewer.  Take enough booze to last 1 year, then assign a migrant to do it, later on.  Water should be enough until Farming and Milling gets going.  Do not take a Hunting Dog, take a breeding pair of normal Dogs.  You'll want the experience from training animals, so don't sell yourself short.  Don't take any bars or blocks.  Take wood, if your going into a mtn embark.  Don't multi-skill a miner.  Cabbage dwarf, is not needed.  Take an ambusher-hunter dwarf in that dwarfs place.  TAKE A MASON!  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 11:31:01 pm »

Personally, I'd make Garmin a fisherman... but that's someone one can do later.

But still.
Recently slaughtered by the undead!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 12:15:29 am »

I would suggest dumping the "building designer" skill, as it has little effect AFAIK.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 06:41:20 am »

After hauling enough rock to a 1x1 dump, activity zone.  Do a reclaim there, and then remove the activity zone.  All the rock will be nice and neatly piled up and readily accessible.

If you do this, remember to put a stone stockpile to that 1x1 former dump zone, or your dwarves will start hauling all the stone to your stone stockpiles again. Unless that's what you want. If you leave the dump zone there, they'll leave the stone there, even unforbidden, iirc (have mostly stopped using dump zones in favor of minecart quantum stockpiles; only use garbage dumps for actual trash and atomsmashers now).

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 08:07:14 am »

Cisterns are pretty easy.

1) Dig a down-stairs near a murky pool.  Leave 2 tiles between the pool's edge and the stairs.

2) Go down 2-3 Z levels, then dig a sideways corridor about 3-5 tiles long.  Then a room that is 3x3 or 5x5.

3) Channel out the floor of the 3x3 or 5x5 room.  The size of the room in total squares should be equal to about 3/4 the number of tiles in the Murky Pool.

At this point you have a choice.  If time is of the essence, just channel out the 2 tiles between the pool's edge and the staircase and flood your cistern.  It should fill up the lower level with 7/7 water and the upper level with 2/7 to 4/7 water.  Once the pool is drained, put a constructed wall in place of the murky pool's edge, then build constructed floors over any other openings (such as the stairs and the 2nd tile that you channeled out).  Or you could hide the stairs under a constructed wall.

If you have more time/labor, then you can use a screw pump to move the water from the Murky Pool into your stairs.  You'll need to direct the output of the pump into a U-shaped piece of constructed walls (5 pieces of stone block for the walls, plus a wooden corkscrew and wooden pipe section built at the carpenter's workshop).  And a dwarf with Pump Operator labor.  Moving the water in this way removes the "stagnant" tag and gives you a clean water source.

If you have a *lot* of time/labor then you can make the cistern 3-4Z deep, narrowing as it gets deeper and smooth each level before filling it.  But unless you have 3-4 engravers, you probably can't get this done before the first winter.

peccan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 08:29:48 am »

I don't think this has been mentioned yet... But the folks in your Mountainhome are pretty nice and will give you extra barrels and  bags free of charge for all the sand/seed/meat/drink you embark with.

Barrels can contain 10 units, so taking 11 units of meat for instance gives you an extra barrel along with that 11th meat unit. Repeat with all alcohol,  as alcohol units can't be mixed in barrels. (About meat I'm not so sure.)

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 09:20:58 am »

A little late to the party with this response, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it re: pasturing.  I agree that the pasture system in DF is a pain, having to assign animals to separate pastures and keep track of all that, update for births etc.  However, there is a very simple workaround.  If you have a large pasturable area (either outside, in a cavern or even in an excavated soil layer after cavern breach) you can build a statue in the middle of it, designate the area as a sculpture garden, and all of your animals will congregate there happily munching on the vegetation without the need for individual pasturing.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.  I would still recommend against larger animals like yaks and cows and such, but sheep are great.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

peccan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 12:50:53 pm »

Pasturing was upgraded: young are automatically assigned to their mother's pastures. As long as you keep your pastures roomy and don't keep many large pasturers such as cattle, horses and yaks, it's pretty ok.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 09:17:43 pm »

Kittens were born.  *buzzer sounds* Bzzzt! Player opens Animal stock list. 
Player thinks alound. Hmmpf where are those unpenned kittens?!?
Toady croaks in the distance.  Made ya look, naner naner.

Took me awhile to learn the newborns appear in their mother's pen.  Guess chicks don't tho, do all newborn flyers escape or is it just the ones from nest boxes?  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

peccan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 12:26:10 am »

Kittens were born.  *buzzer sounds* Bzzzt! Player opens Animal stock list. 
Player thinks alound. Hmmpf where are those unpenned kittens?!?
Toady croaks in the distance.  Made ya look, naner naner.
My queen pasture is 2x3 and includes the kitten cage right next to the door. There are two butcheries right next to the room to minimise effective cat-dwarf interaction time. And of course I make sure none of my butchers outright love cats. Additionally, all butchers above dabbling who especially like cats are quickly introduced to the aquatherapy room as impostors.

Took me awhile to learn the newborns appear in their mother's pen.  Guess chicks don't tho, do all newborn flyers escape or is it just the ones from nest boxes?  Sincerely, Knutor
Eh... I don't know if tamed wild birds need nest boxes so I only have experience from the tame birds, and those I have chucked into 3x3 locked door breeding pastures that are unlocked only when young are to be caged or I want to grant access to eggs (I haven't forbidden eggs to make things easily manageable). I keep all domestic bird species and out of those, even while keets are easily the most numerous per clutch, it's the poults that regularly breach the borders of their pasture and wander outside. Which is why all my breeding rooms have a vestibule for containing the respective cage and a pet-restricted airlock to satisfy my "poult paranoia".
Pages: 1 [2]