Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ghosts & Memorial Halls  (Read 1080 times)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ghosts & Memorial Halls
« on: July 11, 2012, 06:07:19 am »

At the moment, I've got a fort in a terrifying biome. This means lots and lots of death, and lots and lots of slabs (sixty-some, at the moment). I also have some un-memorializable ghosts from merchants' guards. They are all peaceful ghosts, and nobody knew them, so they are not causing much trouble.

What I've noticed is that these ghosts are almost always to be found in the memorial hall. They died outside (to the zombie horde, what else?), and they don't have relatives memoriaized there.

Is this a known phenomenon? Do ghosts always hang out in memorial halls, if one is available; or do they head for statue gardens, meeting halls, etc., gathering places in general?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghosts & Memorial Halls
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 06:30:24 am »

I don't know the answer, but my suspicion is ghosts that aren't up to no good will congregate in meeting areas like everyone else.  There was at least one ghost that threw a party.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghosts & Memorial Halls
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:04:01 am »

My ghostly fisherdwarf that  fell down an 8z waterfall and landed on his head (just before 0.34.11 came out) was more than happy to haunt his place of death.  He wasn't bothering anyone so I was planning to leave him as some ~science~ to see (verify) whether he would die of old age if I got the fort to run long enough.

Then I the entire fortress, and 34.11 came out, so I never did find out for sure.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"